New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#301 2019-05-25 17:46:05

louis

Re: Starship is Go...

Interesting video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_urTjM_Mymo

Looks like Starhopper has been a bit of a rush job and the nose cone doesn't fit! Hoping it's just an optical illusion - surely they wouldn't get the measurements wrong would they?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#302 2019-05-28 18:06:05

Void

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#303 2019-05-28 19:01:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

The article void posted gave the answer for what Louis had seen... It was the inner and outer hull which was being seen while he shell is constructed as there is seperation between them for plumbing and electronics to go through.

As far as the hopper tests its more about the ability to control the engines performance and still keep the ship intact with each use.

The images are quite ugly but they will function for the purpose of getting numbers for the future build of the real deal.

#304 2019-06-03 12:28:44

Void

I feel that this article is just full of currently important information on intentions of space community per Mars and Starship at this time.
I suggest a read of it.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/06 … fely-back/

One thing I note is quite a lot of flexibility from the persons quoted.  And real concerns about major hurdles to overcome.

I will quote just one:

SpaceX has outlined a plan that will send at least two cargo missions to Mars at the first opportunity. These test missions will identify resources available on Mars and potential hazards at the landing site. Provided that those missions go well, the company plans to send two more cargo missions as well as two crewed missions to Mars.

If conditions on Mars aren't what SpaceX expects in terms of resource availability, Wooster said SpaceX is considering bringing components of fuel to Mars for the return trip, likely in the form of either water or pure hydrogen. The company could also return a Starship with less than a full load of fuel. SpaceX has stated that it can return between 20 and 50 tons of payload from the surface of Mars to Earth with a fully fueled rocket, but it could do the return with less cargo and less fuel if required.

Other options include leaving a Starship in orbit, which would reduce the fuel needed. Or, as Gerry Sanders from NASA's In-Space Resource Utilization team said, a return could be accomplished by simply launching extra fuel to Mars and transferring it to a single Starship rocket.

So, I think that these people know what they are up against, and are flexible.

Discarding a Starship or two for a mission to Mars, is not as wasteful perhaps as it might seem.  Elon Musk speculates that they might end up costing less than a Falcon 9 (Maybe).

Done.

Last edited by Void (2019-06-03 12:35:20)

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#305 2019-06-10 18:59:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think this is the better topic for BFR discusions to continue in.

The term prototype can stand for a large variety of build conditions and really a full finished designed product.

Slamming steel plates together in the out doors is a prototype as these are just crudely placed together and are not smooth form fitting, as the finished product would need to be.

These can have fuel tanks that are not to scale for the finished product, engine counts that will not be what it will need or having them optimized for LEO versus sea level performance.

space x starship prototype test images

While searching these wer very interesting:
StagingOrbitMars1smwm.jpg

th?id=OIP.f13-dWu2XRVGTVg0GXHx3wHaEc&pid=Api&rs=1&p=0

SpaceX%2BStarhopper%252C%2BStarship%2Band%2BSuper%2BHeavy%2Bmodel%2Bcomparison%2Bwith%2Bheight%2Bby%2BKimi%2BTalvitie.jpg

#306 2019-06-10 19:42:41

Void

I am like a cat watching a mouse hole smile

Board footer