New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#101 2019-04-08 17:50:23

tahanson43206

Re: Power Distribution by pipelines on Mars.

For SpaceNut ...

I am looking forward to seeing how this topic develops over coming Sols ... The idea of making a tunnel only 1 meter in diameter caught me by surprise.   Is there an example of such a tunnel having been bored horizontally on Earth?   Vertical bores that size would not be surprising (to me at least), but ....

Oh! Perhaps the (relatively new) technology of bending the path of a bore allows for horizontal runs of that size.

In "real world on Earth" practice, bending bores are quite common for routing of new gas lines in residential neighborhoods.  Perhaps extension of that technology to Mars situations would turn out to be practical and cost effective.

In past topics in NewMars forum, members have discussed manufacture of bricks from regolith.  I would imagine such bricks could be manufactured for use as tunnel liners.  In that role the bricks would be taking compression loads as the regolith above the tunnel descends/ compresses vertically.

(th)

SpaceNut wrote:

The issue for mars has more to do with the equipment needed to produce the desired diameter tube with regards to delivered mass and energy needs to make it work on mars.

A 1 meter diameter tube still can act as a crawl connection. with Of course a 2 meter tube is a walk in the park and large is where we can get serious about other uses..

The other part of the issue for materials is the mass that is supported on its surface to ground as there is limited ability to shore up from within as a mine shaft would do. Adding a grid re-enforcement on the outside like the iso grid pattern using extra materials like that which is use in the space capsule design would give the tube more load baring weight.

#102 2019-04-08 18:03:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think the small tube of 1 or 2 meters could be done with partial covering via trenching method as proposed by Loius in other topics in that digging should be kept to a minimum for creating these types of connecting solutions in the early days of mars growth.

The tunnel bricks would need to be shaped and interlocking linner so as to keep them in place before the tube were inserted to create a sealed pathway for man, fluid, gas or for electrical to pass through.

Maybe google or others will chime in on the 1 meter diameter question for practicle or not size and use.

#103 2019-06-03 11:10:13

knightdepaix

High Density Polyethylene can be used for making pipes for power distribution, sewage or drainage. Ethylene can be made from hydrogen reduction of carbon dioxide.

#104 2019-06-03 20:23:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Burried in the ground not issues with UV once installed, temperatures would be moderated but would be effected by how cold the content of the pipe is and the pressure needed to keep it in liquid form. Only room temperature and up are indicated in the articles for thus far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-density_polyethylene

https://www.creativemechanisms.com/blog … ng-and-cnc

Numbered types of plastics
https://sciencing.com/hdpe-plastic-5839257.html

#105 2019-08-16 21:58:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

A Preliminary Assessment of the Initial Compression Power Requirement in CO2 Pipeline “Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) Technologies”
https://res.mdpi.com/technologies/techn … tachment=1

#106 2019-08-16 22:32:20

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #105 ...

Interesting paper! Thanks!

The work done here seems (to me at least) pertinent to the Mars environment, but NOT (of course) because of combustion of fossil fuels.  I can imagine there might be a need to ship compressed atmosphere from one location to another via pipeline.

I cannot think of a reason why this would be useful on Mars for long distances, but on the other hand, if a separation plant were to be constructed to isolate Oxygen (for example), then shipment of compressed CO2 over short distances inside the facility might make sense.

(th)

#108 2019-09-02 16:24:50

Calliban

A novel idea.  For this to really be workable, we would need to mine the southern polar cap and use a heat source to melt the dry ice at a pressure of several bar and temperature of about -50C.  This would allow the CO2 to be pumped.  Maybe geothermal power could be used as the heat source.  If we were clever, we could use CO2 phase change to power the mining equipment.

A pipeline 1m in diameter, with flowrate of 10m/s could carry thousands of MW of power.  Liquid CO2 would be pumped to cities closer to the equator, where solar heat would be used to generate high pressure CO2 to power gas turbines for electricity production or to generate direct mechanical power, such as for compressed air tools or mining equipment.

The absence of intervening seas and oceans allows for the development of global grids on Mars, transporting power using CO2, as well as electricity; and water harvested from ice deposits and pumped to cities thousands of km away. It is also possible to transport physical goods and raw materials by pipeline, by encasing them within floating hydraulic capsules in either brine solution or liquid CO2.  Kind of like an enclosed canal network.

Of course, pipelines represent a significant investment in infrastructure.  A pipeline from the southern cap to the equator would require tens of thousands of tonnes of steel or plastic.  Not something that would be done until significant settlements existed on Mars.

Interested in space science, engineering and technology.

#109 2019-09-02 16:58:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

Calliban to further your delight in topics that are related.

Running on Compressed Air?

Compressed gas energy storage.

Hopefully that will get you thinking some more...

You may like this front page Journal article as well Mars Air and Water might be the key to power storage

Board footer