New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-01-08 11:33:16

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Mars Society Initial Mars Mission - a real micromission spacecraft to Mars

I just got notification from NASA that the Announcement of Opportunity (AO) for the next missions in the Small Explorer (SMEX) program has been postponed. Depending on the availability of appropriated funds, the SMEX AO should be released shortly after NASA's FY03 budget is signed. I swear someone at NASA is reading this board; the UNEX class mission I mentioned is part of the SMEX program.

I hadn't really intended to submit a bid this year, but start small and build up. That is, after I attended the 4th Canadian Space Exploration Workshop (CSEW4), it appears I will get the contract to produce regolith simulant for the Mars rover test facility, called Mars Dome, which the Canadian Space Agency is building. I have papers directly from the principle investigators of the APXS instrument on Sojourner, and the spreadsheet from the geologist who did the CIPW analysis for NASA. A geology professor at the University of Winnipeg is willing to work with me on it. I also intend to work with the University of Guelph to build an inflatable greenhouse for Devon Island. They want to build one, and I want to build one that can be made available for sale to grade schools, so a partnership is obvious. I also submitted an abstract for a paper on an advanced life support system for the Humans in Space symposium at Banff (a resort in Canada) this spring. I'm waiting to see if they let me submit the paper; the abstract is being pier reviewed. I intended to rally the Mars Society to seriously build a small explorer, but after I got some interest and proved my company by building something.

I did establish an email group for collaboration of those involved with the Roadrunner project. That group still exists, but hasn't done anything in about a year. I made it exclusive to those doing serious work. Although you don't have to have a Ph.D. to be part of it, you do have to be willing to put in serious work.

When we started to talk about this on the previous message board, there was some debate about what the mission would be. We held a vote: 2 people voted for a fly-by, 1 person wanted an impact penetrator, everyone else voted for a balloon. Chris Hirata told me that when he originally raised the issue of a fly-by with Maggie Zubrin, she didn't like the idea. She thought a fly-by was "been there, done that." However, when I mentioned this to Maggie, she didn't remember the conversation. Although a balloon to Mars would be new, the majority of MS members voted for a balloon so democracy dictates we do that anyway. After we started work, we discovered two other Mars Society groups that wanted to send a balloon to Mars. Chris Vancil's Mars Balloon group is working primarily on high altitude balloons here on Earth to prepare for Mars. The Spain chapter has chosen a balloon as their chapter project. They want to build the balloon itself, and they're raising funds. The Organization of Space for Everyone (OEPT) in Spain is recruiting members from all Spanish speaking countries who want to work on propulsion. All these groups have chosen to work together to send a Mars Society mission to Mars. The German chapter, however, was the last to jump on the Mars balloon "bandwagon" and they decided to do it alone, they don't want to cooperate with any of these other groups. They are trying to hitch a ride on the European probe called Mars Express. We'll see if they can do it.

We did have several qualified people on the project. For example, I have over 21 years experience in software development including real time software for embedded systems, including flight systems; and I have been a project leader/manager starting with the second year of that experience. The team includes an aerospace structural engineer who works for NASA, and was part of the Shuttle upgrade and X33. It includes another structural aerospace engineer who works on business jets, tooling, and aircraft testing. We had an electrical engineer from Cisco. I got the University of Manitoba to work on the propellant feed system (the professor said my simplification of NASA's design was so obvious that a single aerospace engineering grad student could complete it, with his supervision). One individual with a Ph.D. in plasma physics whose thesis was on magnetic containment for a fusion reactor is very willing to work on optimization of the ion engine optics. (He wants a paying job in his field. He's currently working for an oil company.) One MS member is completing his Ph.D. in aerospace engineering specializing in heat shields and aeroshells. He said he is willing to design the Mars entry vehicle. I have a letter from the president of the company that machined the parts for the joints of CanadArm2 stating he was willing to machine parts for me. I received some documents on the NSTAR ion engine directly one of the lead engineers at the Glenn Research Center who developed NSTAR. A local member is an electronics test technician, and routinely tests equipment in a vacuum chamber. I located suppliers of space photovoltaic arrays, manoeuvring thrusters, composite propellant tanks, and radiation hardened single board computers. I volunteered to be the chair of the propulsion group of the Mars Society's Technical Task Force. The communications group of the TTF is not working specifically on this project, but they are working on spacecraft-to-ground communications focusing on phased-arrays. The Deep Space Exploration Society wants us to use their 18-metre dish to receive telemetry because use of their facility by an organization like the Mars Society justifies their existence, they only ask us to pay for any new equipment required. An astronomer in Latvia had asked the Mars Society to pay for upgrades for a 32-metre dish left-over from the Soviet days in exchange for receiving telemetry from a Mars Society mission. I tried to contact him, but he hasn't responded. The former president of the Mars Society Canada had contacted him, so if we seriously pursue this we could contact him again. The communications group of the TTF also has contact with him. Having 2 dishes on different continents would give the Mars Society a small deep space network of our own.

If we choose to re-activate the project, members must realize it will take a great deal of time by a great number of members. There is a lot of work involved with developing a real probe to Mars. One argument I keep hearing from businessmen is that simply preparing a bid is expensive. However, it is only expensive because it takes a great deal of time by significant number of highly qualified individuals. Paying their salary is the expense. If Mars Society members are willing to donate their time to work on preparing the bid, then it won't cost anything. Just preparing the bid is a research project of its own; it requires designing the hardware and the mission to the point where it is practically complete.

Those interested in political support can write their congressmen to support NASA and its Small Explorer program. A paper letter carries a lot more weight than an email or a signature on a petition.

#2 2003-01-08 14:38:27

soph

I can't really do much for design, only offer theoretical ideas or thoughts, but I can write a letter.  If I do well on my nuclear essay, I'll use that to add weight to my letters to politicians.  If a national science essay winner writes a space advocacy letter, hopefully it will get some notice.

Good luck!

#3 2003-01-18 03:48:41

RobertDyck
Website

To return to the original proposal, the constraint was to keep the total launch weight down to fit within a Hitchhiker mission on the Space Shuttle. Deployment capability is via the Payload Ejection System (PES).

The PES can deploy a payload of 150 pounds (68kg). When mounted on top of a cross-bay carrier pallet, the PES has large height and diameter limits, as well as center of gravity (CG) above the separation plane. The spacecraft must be balanced to within .25 inches of the ejection centerline. Options of ejection velocities from 1.0 to 4.0 ft/sec. PES provides no power or signal connection to the spacecraft. PES has been used for many missions.

The $2 million price for deploying a Hitchhiker payload with PES would count against the UNEX budget. Since UNEX provides at most $15 million and lower price translates to higher probability of acceptance, we need to keep a strict budget.

A 1/4 scale ion engine should be able to propel the spacecraft, including spiralling out from LEO to escape velocity, gravity assist from the Moon, continuous acceleration to Mars, and direct entry by the entry vehicle. The spacecraft bus will burn up in Mars atmosphere. This will deploy a single balloon using Robert Zubrin's technology of pre-filling the balloon with liquid methanol. When the balloon is released from its canister the low pressure of Mars will boil the methanol which will inflate the balloon. The balloon will be inflated while hanging on the parachute, then the parachute will be discarded. This provides a very simple inflation system (just open the clam-shell canister) and eliminates any landing system. In fact, the clam-shell canister can be integrated with the aeroshell so once the bottom of the aeroshell is discarded that is one side of the clam-shell, so the balloon is released.

Balloon communications will be designed to work with the Mars Relay, so Mars Global Surveyor and Mars Odyssey act as communication relay satellites. The Mars Relay has a range finder so the balloon position can be determined by intersecting spheres. This takes 3 samples to calculate position, so 3 orbits of the satellite. It may not be as quick as GPS on Earth, but it works. Balloon motion itself will give wind direction and speed. Instruments will include a digital camera, temperature, pressure, and altimeter.

One option is to include an Alpha Proton X-ray Spectrometer like the one that flew on Sojourner, and a landing snake. Solar heat would warm the balloon, expanding its inflation gas and lifting the balloon. At night it would cool, contract and land. This would permit one ground sample per sol, with multiple samples from various widely spread locations. The risk is the balloon getting entangled on rough terrain.

#4 2003-03-28 09:38:07

RobertDyck
Website

I just received notification from NASA on the researchers/contractors email clarifying budget reserves with the requirement of a sufficient budget reserve (excluding launch vehicle) commensurate with the mission complexity and associated development. I find it interesting that they sent it this morning considering I mentioned this project on another thread yesterday.

I have started a new day job myself. I am developing the test and calibration system for autopilots for unmanned air vehicles. I am not only the software developer; I am the lead for the test/calibration project. I think this would make me qualified to work on this project. I already mentioned qualifications of some other people interested in working on the project.

Another member on another list suggested a Mars balloon could carry radiation instruments. Characterizing radiation profiles at different altitudes could determine radiation risk to any future human Mars mission. Surface radiation measurements would be most useful, but fully characterizing the atmosphere could help predict how weather will impact surface radiation. The question is what radiation sensors are available, how much power they require and most importantly how much they mass. A small Mars balloon cannot carry much mass. In fact, one Mars atmosphere scientist I consulted with cautioned against including an APXS instrument on the balloon simply to keep mass down.

So are there people here seriously interested in work on this?

#5 2003-03-28 09:47:12

Palomar

I have started a new day job myself. I am developing the test and calibration system for autopilots for unmanned air vehicles. I am not only the software developer; I am the lead for the test/calibration project. I think this would make me qualified to work on this project. I already mentioned

Another member on another list suggested a Mars balloon could carry radiation instruments. Characterizing radiation profiles at different altitudes could determine radiation risk to any future human Mars mission. Surface radiation measurements would be most useful, but fully characterizing the atmosphere could help predict how weather will impact surface radiation. The question is what radiation sensors are available, how much power they require and most importantly how much they mass. A small Mars balloon cannot carry much mass. In fact, one Mars atmosphere scientist I consulted with cautioned against including an APXS instrument on the balloon simply to keep mass down.

So are there people here seriously interested in work on this?

*Robert, I think part of your post is missing -- ?  "I already mentioned" then jumps to a space and the beginning of paragraph "Another member..."

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2003-03-28 11:11:56

RobertDyck
Website

Thanks Cindy. At least someone is reading this.

So do we have someone who has knowledge of compact radiation sensors?

#7 2003-03-28 14:16:07

Josh Cryer

Gah, I wish I majored in something sciency. smile

What kind of knowledge do you need, Robert? I mean... have you found the sensor already, and just need someone to tell you how to use it or whatever? Or are you still looking for the best sensor?

I guess I didn't read your post thoroughly... (you said you needed a small one, etc) but you can find lots of small radiation sensors on Google. I think what you want is a pyranometer or a quantum sensor. I've found some which are about the size of a penny, so I doubt their mass is too big, generally speaking. I think, though, that you need someone who has actualy experience with compact sensors.

And I can't help much here, other than that. sad

I think a good idea might be to land the module after you've got a good atmospheric sample, so that you could get at least one surface reading.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#8 2003-04-28 04:16:37

Gilgamesch
Banned

The German chapter, however, was the last to jump on the Mars balloon "bandwagon" and they decided to do it alone, they don't want to cooperate with any of these other groups. They are trying to hitch a ride on the European probe called Mars Express. We'll see if they can do it.

That is not complete right  ???

We working on the Mars superpressure balloon project called ARCHIMEDES. We have the oppurtunity to fly with the AMSAT Marsorbiter P5-A, the launch is scheduled for 2007 or 2009. We just have a team consisting of two universities, several institutes and many members of the German Mars Society and some members of Austrian and French chapter. We also got some money from ESA and we just trying to get more fundings from different sources. And that is our main problem, the fundings. We have enough personnel and hopefully know-how.

Our main focus right now is on the entry process. The big question is, when we will inflate the balloon? On the ground in the atmosphere or in space? A trade off analysis is just in work.

We also have som priciple investigators for scientific instruments which already flow some hardware to Mars. Our main instrument is a high resolution camera and we will have a magnetometer and atmospheric sensors on board.

You can find updated technical reports each 6 months on our homepage: Mars Society Germany in English.

Sven Knuth

Board footer