New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#26 2019-04-14 15:16:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Registration Process NewMars Forum

Its always been a problem from the days of when even I first joined; that the gross number of spammers and bots would create accounts to do harm. In various software versions of the board there were tools to catch the would be spammer which used the same email or user id but those software tools were easily defeated. I believe it was ultimitely why the board crashed hard back in late 2008 and had difficulty getting back up and running until 2010.
I will reach out to others to see if we are doing any sort of check.

#27 2019-04-15 05:35:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... Thanks for taking up this question.  I am mystified by why someone would apply for membership in the forum and then never participate. A possible explanation is that registration was attempted, but the trial password did not reach them.  Even spammers need to post something to show their illegal activity.

A search of the registration list by an Admin with the appropriate permissions should be able to show how many of the Users who started the registration process actually finished it. 

Thanks again for reviewing the history.

(th)

#28 2019-04-15 16:19:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

I just took a look at the first few user iD's which start with a ! and after they created there account they never logged in ever again. I also noticed that the email address was a known spamming type. The user names could be purged but that would leave them open again for a new retry to create mayhem on our site. Not sure if verifing the many id's would yeild many valid people that would want to join as I think you have already confirmed by the guest invite attempts. I would think that a spam email box indicator could be added to the message when the account is created to look for the first time activation link there but not sure what else would help.

Board footer