New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2019-04-09 18:01:32

louis

Hassell and Eckersley - a new approach

Hassell and Eckersley's approach to Mars habitat building...as featured by Mic of Orion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrIunc-FR5Y

Although H&E's approach makes for a slick-looking video, I doubt it's practicality. 

For me the way forward is clear: rather than try and develop a huge habitat shield (which then blots out the sense of being on a planet) it is much better for humans to oversee assembly of the habitats. Providing the imported habitats with regolith or ice cover will be a lot easier than building a huge mud-cement dome without human supervision.

For Mission One you only need two or three habitat spaces.  They need to have air locks that can house mini rovers - which can then pass between the habitats - avoiding the need for EVAs. The habitats can be either panel-assembled or inflatables, whichever proves the best method. They can be designed to hold regolith or water ice on overhanging roofs to minimise radiation.

Still, it's good that people are looking at different approaches.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2019-04-09 20:26:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Hassell and Eckersley - a new approach

This is part of the 3D printing challenge that Nasa has running.

NASA 3D Printed Habitat Challenge

Looks like a sweeping to gather the easy materials to make use of for the printer feed stock.

3026_14-11-2018_8260.jpg

https://www.hassellstudio.com/en/cms-ne … fe-on-mars

2929_02-07-2018_8528.jpg

#3 2019-04-09 20:48:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

#4 2019-04-10 15:57:10

louis

Thanks for that clarification, SpaceNut.

My view of this entry is that it involves a highly complex solution to what is a fairly simple problem, namely how to heap regolith on top of habitats (and perhaps at the side).

It's typical of NASA's over-complication of Mars colonisation.

All we need for initial Mars missions is inflatable or assembled habitats over which a frame for holding regolith can be erected. Then use automated diggers to load on the regolith - a few hours' work.

#5 2019-04-10 17:31:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

The main part of this is to not bring a habitat or its materials only the equipment to do it your self on mars from insitu resources.
Sure the inital structures made from the tuna cans we arrive in or even a blow up tent to inflateable; will still need to transision away from the heaping of dirt on top to one of those to creating one that would be more permanent.
Mars will aways be harder than earth as its starting with quite a few deficets as compared to earth.

Low temperature
Low atmospheric pressure
low to non existant magnetic field shielding
lower level of solar energy arriving at the surface
higher levels of radiation and UV
no natural or visible life to aid with what we need for food or other.
lack of easily obtainable water

#6 2019-04-10 18:45:58

GW Johnson
Website

I know of 3-D printers that print special polymers,  and I know of 3-D printers that print metals from metal powders.  I know of no 3-D printers that work with any kind of rock dust or sand.  ALL 3-D printing processes are slow,  and the larger the part,  the slower it is. 

Why not just do what we know how to do?  We know how to pour reinforced concrete,  and we know how to make multiple-glazed glass windows.  We know how to build concrete and masonry structures.  We know how to dig,  and to cover things with earth fill.  USE THAT!

Some years ago I posted an idea for aboveground Mars habitations that provided pressurizable space protected from radiation (and meteroids) based on the skills we understand.  That article is titled "Aboveground Mars Houses",  dated 26 January,  2013. 

At the time I posted it,  I did not know how to make Mars-adapted concrete,  or Mars-adapted glass.  Others on the forums claim such things are now known to us.  The only thing needed from Earth is the steel rebar,  and rechargeable electric versions of front end loaders,  bulldozers,  and similar construction equipment. 

Doing construction work like this on Mars requires a supple spacesuit,  not the clumsy,  stiff,  tiring gas balloon suits we use.  We'll need real MCP suits,  and not botched-up as one-piece garments that do everything imaginable.  You need vacuum-protective underwear (with an oxygen helmet and oxygen backpack),  and cold-climate work clothes as your outerwear,  same as in Antarctica.

Go take a look at my old article about aboveground buildings.  I think you will like the concept.  This is my "exrocketman" site,  which is http://exrocketman.blogspot.com.  There is a navigation tool on the left of the page underneath the site name.  Click on the year,  then click on the month,  then on the title you want.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2019-04-10 18:48:43)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#7 2019-04-10 19:49:23

louis

Well then "cut and cover" is a lot simpler than what H&E are proposing. Just dig a trench and put an arch over it - brick or steel - there's your habitat. Much simpler than what they propose.

SpaceNut wrote:

The main part of this is to not bring a habitat or its materials only the equipment to do it your self on mars from insitu resources.
Sure the inital structures made from the tuna cans we arrive in or even a blow up tent to inflateable; will still need to transision away from the heaping of dirt on top to one of those to creating one that would be more permanent.
Mars will aways be harder than earth as its starting with quite a few deficets as compared to earth.

Low temperature
Low atmospheric pressure
low to non existant magnetic field shielding
lower level of solar energy arriving at the surface
higher levels of radiation and UV
no natural or visible life to aid with what we need for food or other.
lack of easily obtainable water

#8 2019-04-11 18:13:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Louis it is much harder to do that as we do not have the source to make what you want to use to make the habitats that you want. We have not found the source to make into those items and we do not have whats needed early on to get to that point delivered to mars as of yet.
Collecting up the sands which are lose is the easiest thing to start with. Its also the easiest to move to build up around what we leave for a habitat which is not going to return back to earth.
The first steps need to be in expansion of area to which we can occupy so as to begin the build up.

#9 2019-04-11 19:04:59

louis

Cut and cover is not my preference now for the first few missions.  My preference is for us to take the habitats to Mars, since Space X are looking to transport perhaps 100 tons per Starship.  As you suggest, heaping up sand/regolith to protect the habitats from radiation is not that difficult.

However, if we did wish to create covered spaces it might not be that challenging either. We do know scientists on Earth have experimented with Mars regolith and created compressed bricks (effective because of the sulphur content, IIRC). So the basic building material might not be so difficult to source.  Glass bricks might be another option.

You'd probably then need to think in terms of some sort of equivalent of plaster, cement or other lining, to line the interior space. We can probably line the exterior with clay-type regolith from the Mars surface and then cover in looser regolith for radiation protection. 

If we need additional structural support we can manufacture steel frames on Mars with relative ease (though we might need to import calcium, which seems quite rare on Mars).

SpaceNut wrote:

Louis it is much harder to do that as we do not have the source to make what you want to use to make the habitats that you want. We have not found the source to make into those items and we do not have whats needed early on to get to that point delivered to mars as of yet.
Collecting up the sands which are lose is the easiest thing to start with. Its also the easiest to move to build up around what we leave for a habitat which is not going to return back to earth.
The first steps need to be in expansion of area to which we can occupy so as to begin the build up.

Last edited by louis (2019-04-11 19:06:15)

#10 2019-04-11 19:40:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

#11 2019-04-12 16:45:05

louis

I think there are lots of ways of terraforming Mars. We need to investigate and experiment.  Laying transparent plastic sheeting might be an effective way of trapping heat at the surface and releasing gases. Maybe 10 billion simple automated regolith processors could help. Getting some serious greenhouse gases into the atmosphere would make a big difference.  Solar reflectors can increase insolation. I've wondered before if we could reflectors into close solar orbit (between Mercury and the Sun), they might not have to be that huge. I haven't "done the math" as you say in the States.

SpaceNut wrote:

Board footer