New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2018-10-16 21:24:24

Oldfart1939

Re: Musk on the Edge?

SpaceNut: That settlement amounts to 1.4 % of his published net worth.

#52 2018-10-16 21:29:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes a drop in his bucket....but would make us very happy still the same....

#53 2018-11-10 13:24:54

louis

Musk seems to be clawing himself back from edge - he's nearly $3 billion plus richer thanks to his Tesla shares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Y7E7mP5h0

Could be crucial in pushing forward the BFR Mars Mission.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#54 2018-11-10 14:57:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

From what I have seen in the press he is out and someone else is in for his spot on Tesla....

#55 2018-11-10 15:10:22

kbd512
Administrator

I don't think that merely running a successful car manufacturer is amenable to his vision for the future.  He's created the company he set out to create, it's having the effect he desired, and now is a good time to step back and let experts in car manufacturing run the company for him.  His vision for the future is badly needed elsewhere, such as our space program.  Running Tesla's day-to-day operations is beneath his vision and technical capabilities, thus unlikely to result in much job satisfaction.  I don't see any problem with him running Tesla, but I don't think it makes him happy.  If he's unhappy, then he's not the best version of himself.  That said, I'm not him and I would always defer to his judgement about what's best for him.

#56 2018-11-10 15:22:17

louis

That's management, not the share value.

SpaceNut wrote:

From what I have seen in the press he is out and someone else is in for his spot on Tesla....

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#57 2018-11-30 19:03:57

tahanson43206

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-chief-s … 21836.html

It appears that Mr. Bridenstine (Bridenstine) doesn't agree with you on this one, GW! (th)

GW Johnson wrote:

I quite agree.  What Musk smokes or not is his own problem. 

He otherwise does good work,  and the very best when he has the right top lieutenants around him,  like Shotwell and a handful of others at Spacex.  No one person can do this alone.  He doesn't have the right team at Tesla,  which is why it has some troubles,  and why he has been overworking himself there. 

That being said,  there are folks who obsess over the wrong things.  The kerfuffle over Musk smoking a joint is one such. 

These folks are quite numerous,  which is why Tesla stock dropped on the publication of the joint video,  and not on the story about him overworking himself at Tesla.  Same folks failed to ask why he was overworking at Tesla,  did you notice?  Logic and common sense have little to do with this effect.

This phenomenon is also why SLS/Orion is still publicized as the only way to get to Mars.  Politicians abuse this effect all the time.  Just as they have abused NASA since the end of Apollo. Kinda shows,  don't it?

GW

#58 2018-12-01 09:49:27

Oldfart1939

I really don't give a rat's ass that Elon smoked a joint on the podcast. The man operates at a stress level beyond the comprehension of most folks. In many states now, MJ is a legal option for stress and pain relief. No...I m NOT a user or supporter of unrestricted access to it. Just CUT ELON SOME SLACK!

#59 2018-12-01 10:09:13

GW Johnson
Website

You need to recognize this for what it really is.  Spacex/Musk has enemies as well as friends.  This "inspection" of workplace safety at Spacex is a fishing expedition looking for disqualifying things or delay excuses to hold back Spacex relative to ULA in the various launch competition or spacecraft delivery arenas. 

Musk finally did something relatively stupid in public (harmless as it was),  that gave his enemies the opening to go protest about "workplace safety" to NASA.  This plays on fears of drug-stupified people assembling rockets and spacecraft,  something not a problem in reality.  Dumb as the bureaucracy is,  and coming from the favored-contractor base,  NASA went along with it. 

Look at the schedule timing for commercial crew.  As it is,  Spacex will fly half a year before Boeing.  The "investigation" is to find something so that Spacex can be delayed to "fix the problem",  so that Boeing can fly first. 

I could not give a rat's ass whether Musk smoked a joint,  either.  But if he had not done that in public,  this tomfoolery would not be happening.  THAT is why I think what he did was stupid.  I can understand why his thinking wasn't clear,  given the ridiculous work weeks he keeps,  but that's his fault.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#60 2018-12-01 10:42:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

The only issue of the smoking is if its allowed while working at the space x plant; as that is a safety and construction issue for anyone that would want to ride on anything he is building. Its as bad as showing up drunk....

#61 2018-12-20 20:29:09

Void

Well this looks like a bit of fun.  Don't know how long the video will last though.

https://insideevs.com/elon-musk-interst … ody-video/

Done.

#62 2019-04-05 16:30:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

Twitter the latest weapon of choice but its not so much free speech anymore as Judge gives Elon Musk two weeks to work out differences with SEC

The SEC on Feb. 25 accused Musk of violating his Oct. 2018 settlement by posting material information about Tesla on Twitter six days earlier, without first seeking approval from company lawyers.

#63 2019-04-09 10:58:32

elderflower

It really is now a witch hunt. Some people must be really worried about Musk. I wonder who that might be.....

#64 2022-10-04 00:03:47

Mars_B4_Moon

Elon Musk’s Cybertruck Destined for Mars
https://greekreporter.com/2022/10/04/el … ruck-mars/

President Zelensky hits back after Elon Musk purposes 'peace' plan for Ukraine
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/16 … d-news-ont

'Russia is doing partial mobilization. They go to full war mobilization if Crimea is at risk. Death on both sides will be devastating.
Russia has >3 times population of Ukraine, so victory for Ukraine is unlikely in total war. If you care about the people of Ukraine, seek peace.'
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1576998577758666752

'Let’s try this then: the will of the people who live in the Donbas & Crimea should decide whether they’re part of Russia or Ukraine'
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1576994262226702336

#65 2024-04-07 11:38:38

Mars_B4_Moon

House of Lords is the British upper house one of the oldest institutions in the world, not fully Royal elite the Lords is not generally acquired by election. Most members are appointed for life, on either a political or non-political basis.Hereditary membership was abolished in 1999, apart from 92 excepted hereditary peers: 90 elected through internal by-elections, plus the Earl Marshal and Lord Great Chamberlain

Renowned Astrophysicist Warns of the Perils of Mass Migration to Mars, Challenging Elon Musk's Martian Vision
https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/4 … -musks.htm
However, not everyone shares Musk's enthusiasm for colonizing Mars. Professor Lord Martin Rees, also a co-founder of the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk at the University of Cambridge, believes addressing climate change on Earth is more feasible than seeking refuge on another planet.

During an episode of the House of Lords podcast, Lord Speaker's Corner, Lord Rees cast doubt on the concept of mass migration to Mars, proposing that private individuals should spearhead such initiatives rather than governmental bodies.

Describing Musk as an "extraordinary figure" with a "rather strange personality," Lord Rees disagreed with Musk's ambition to build a city on Mars, deeming it a dangerous illusion compared to addressing Earth's challenges.

but if Musk does not go it seems the Chinese might go to Mars?

'What Happens If China Colonizes Mars Before NASA & SpaceX?'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Lp3WSUiL8

Board footer