New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2019-03-31 20:25:09

AlienHunter

Take On Mars Simulator

Hello,

I am working on and have worked on what is called a MOD for Resources for this SIM. It is rather extensive and is based on real resource availability on the planet.

I have done the best I could to come up with the most basic chemical reactions for chemical splitting and synthesis. Realize this is just a SIM and is for entertainment, and the time has been speeded up in the scenarios. It uses a 3d printer to build things from the refined chemicals. Yes it is simplistic and not practical in most cases, but it is a start and one if not the best simulator out there; there is some multiplayer compatibility.

My main interest was to first make the SIM much more realistic; I think I accomplished that mission ! I am using an innovative company however that is able to upgrade resource production 100fold; you can probly guess why ! There isnt much resources there; but they are there just the same !

Some assumptions have been made; one in particular; that of Methane pockets; also Olivine and Pyrite veins; these materials do exist on Mars in some locations. A real Martian would have to plan for extensive travel.

The main theme however is Life Support and is the main reason why I made the MOD.

I feel the most important aspect of starting there is that of survival, and the only way this is possible is to recycle everything; nothing can be left to waste; I mean NOTHIING !

I emphasize this in the production of certain chemicals, the main one of which you wouldnt think of: Hydrogen !

I have done the best I can to recycle materials in my MOD. Some of the splitting reactions obviously need study and are not easy to do; most of them should be but it seems the most important ones, are not; that of making drinkable water.

In my research, I have found materials that may be suitable for starting a Life On Mars !

One of those materials is called Air Carbon. You can look these up this is real research and cutting edge technology. All for Mars; well not yet but we need to get the word out and look at these possibilities.

The other most important part is waste recycling: enter Archaea !

Basically I make Methane, split Methane and CO2/CO (the impssible part) as one means of making water. My MOD uses many processes to later purify and treat water; all with resources on Mars. There are other methods of making water. I have solved the Hydrogen part in my MOD; I need ideas for the Oxygen part.

I can split other compounds to get Oxygen; the other difficult part is making the water; 2H + O is not as easy as it seems; or not very efficient.

There is research using solar panels (!) to collect moisture; greenhouses collect moisture; etc. I think there will have to be multiple different water collection methods.

I have streams on Twitch (mostly gaming and survival), and you would have to google Harbingerman on Twitch to find me as is usual I cant probly post my link. I stream this SIM it is called Take On Mars and is very educational and has alot of potential as Modders can make changes to make it more realistic. It does have problems like you cant have too many items built or the game starts to get jittery, but my MOD has made it fun and challenging to would be Martianauts !

I also had a website with chemical conversion and recycling data. I am interested in recycling waste chemicals, splitting compounds with high voltage and heat, and Archaea (which to me is the best) for waste. Any ideas along these lines I can research?

Nice site here only one I could find talking about Life On Mars !

#2 2019-03-31 20:52:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Take On Mars Simulator

Welcome to NewMars AlienHunter, as for gamers we have had a few in the past to creat SIM products and there are a few topics.
Will see if I can dig them up...

#3 2019-04-25 14:57:25

AlienHunter

Updates ...

Sorry havnt been around ... will comment on one post by Void.

My Realistic Resource Mod is done ! Over 400 hours working on it and pushed the limits of resources to the end !

My basic idea is that we have to grow our own chemicals, and I use Biogenetic Engineering to do that.

Use Archaea for waste processing which grows methane, hydrogen sulfide, some other chemicals.

Use Plankton for growing Iron and Saltwater, possibly (actually in the SIM).

Use diatoms for growing Silicon Dioxide.

There are silicates and sulphates in the soils; break these down to their constituents, synthesize and split new compounds in various ways, using a basic refinery, as well as adding a laser into the mix (literally !); these simulate drilling and refinery processes.

I found that by possibly growing salt water then splitting the salt we get NaOH Sodium Hydroxide and use that as our basic drilling material. There is plenty (?!) of Sodium Oxide on Mars to convert; I started with that then discovered the Salt split to NaOH !

The Realistic Resources Mod is done; just finishing up on scenarios for Mars, the Moon, and Europa.

When I researched those, I found more extreme cold temps so had to come up with another drilling (simulated) method; enter Ceramic !

Ceramic can withstand very high temps and is cheap to make. Maybe we can make diamonds on Europa and the Moon didnt think of that ! Ceramic and carbon Fiber make up the drilling and building material on the Moon and Europa !

Was interesting to do this research, especially the Bio-Engineered growbeds !

#4 2019-04-25 16:35:38

Void

AlienHunter, 

Good to see your materials.  I am not sure that I have what you need.  However please feel free to look into, and take from:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 22#p156822
Post #37.

If you wish.

Done.

Done.

#5 2019-04-25 19:13:13

AlienHunter

Thanks !

#6 2019-04-25 21:14:00

RobertDyck
Website

A couple web pages I wrote years ago.

Martian materials and resource extraction...
http://canada.marssociety.org/winnipeg/materials.html

Plastics...
http://canada.marssociety.org/winnipeg/plastics.html

#7 2019-04-25 21:40:29

RobertDyck
Website

I wouldn't include methane pockets on Mars. Too much of a cheat, and not likely there. A big part of materials fabrication on Mars is making simple hydrocarbons that can be used to make everything else. You have to start with CO2 and water. But ground penetrating radar has found lots of ice. NASA is still adamant that the frozen pack ice is not ice but lava, however the European Space Agency is even more adamant it is ice. More ice than all the water in the Great Lakea combined. And the south pole, and glaciers in craters, and permafrost.

One survival technique is to heat regolith to release oxygen. Not very efficient for industry, but a solar still can produce oxygen for someone in a spacesuit caught outside.

#8 2019-04-30 10:06:04

elderflower

There may possibly be large resources of methane clathrate. These would be great sources of both water and fuel/chemical feedstock!

#9 2019-04-30 17:31:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

The signature of water may be any form of hydrogen and until we dig deep to test the theory thats all its going to be unless the rovers and the satelites pin down a spot and it can be confirmed on the ground.

#10 2021-11-28 07:45:34

Mars_B4_Moon

Video Gamer Sim?

Mars Immigration Program Releases the First Mars Metaverse Game

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mars-imm … 00705.html

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-11-28 07:46:00)

#11 2021-11-28 08:44:37

louis

The less Mark Zuckerberg has to do with Mars, the better.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#12 2022-05-08 07:25:31

Mars_B4_Moon

NASA Needs Your Help Building a VR Mars Simulator
https://vrscout.com/news/nasa-needs-you … simulator/

the old gamer thread
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6839
Simutrans. has a Martian map and Minecraft you can make like Mars?

#13 2022-05-08 11:32:11

Mars_B4_Moon

“Holobricks” Enable Large-Scale 3D Projections of Holographic Images and Videos in Cinema Format
https://science-news.co/holobricks-enab … ma-format/

Board footer