New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2004-09-27 05:13:10

Rxke

Re: STOP PRESS: Scaled announce launch date

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/27/news/ne … ]CNN.Money has some more details...

So what do we have?

Starting 2007;
Up to 5 passengers;
Initially only American launches, later international;
Investment of profits in the system;
Branson talking about 'hotel';
Initial ticketprice about $200k (ouch!);
3000 people in five years, so minimally 100 flights a year (5+1 people per flight...);

#77 2004-09-27 17:05:11

Adrian
Website

Moved from Free Chat to Science and Technology.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#78 2004-09-27 21:08:01

Mad Grad Student
Website

w00t! big_smile

Yeah, that ticket price comes with a healthy dose of sticker shock, but when it comes to space tourism their just ain't no bargains. The $200,000 price actually kinda makes sense when you look at it from the perspective that real, solid, fire-spewing, air-displacing, fuel-consuming objects are being created. In short, the ticket price is covering real hardware, not just vaporware.

Space Adventures never really seemed to be commited to opening up space, if it had there never would have been so much fuss about Zero-g Corp.'s launch of operations. Heck, Space Adventures was doing parabolic flights years before Zero-g and barely anyone knew about it! But with Virgin Galactic in the ring, it seems that suborbital tourism is finally getting a viable spaceline to make it viable, hopefully it will be the first of many.

Beam me up, Richard! :laugh:

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#79 2004-09-28 08:17:26

clark

They plan on a five seater, right?

They have priced the ineffible. Why not reserve one seat as a lottery place? Seems they might make far more than their asking price.

I'm rather sure that 200,000 or more souls might be found each week to pay a dollar for the chance to ride off into space. Just a happy little thought.  big_smile

#80 2004-09-28 09:27:23

dicktice

http://www.spacedaily.com/2004/04092709 … .html]From SpaceDaily some more details.

Branson planning to build several launchpads in different countries!?!

Pads? What do you need launchpads for if you use SS1 (or SS1.2 or wahtever...)

That's right. Launch pads are for no-return missions such as sounding, LEO supply and warhead-carrying rockets, at least on Earth where the atmosphere is for the taking. Burt Rutan is an aeronautical engineer who endorses return flights, even from orbit.

#81 2004-09-28 10:01:39

Algol

I dont think he meant launch-pads in the traditional sense of the word. Hes obviously refering to launch points (points of departure) - but since he's addressing the general public (who arent as savvy as us) theyll understand the concept of a launch pad better - as well as it envoking the more romantic mental image of a rocket launch.

#82 2004-09-29 09:29:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Today SpaceShipOne has taken the first step into space and will soon make its second in order to capture the prize. But it now also has another backer in that they are moving forward with suborbital toursit plans for the future on a next generation design.

The xprise competitors that are in the process of building ships should still even after the prize has been won not stop. They should continue on to keep the race to orbit going and hopefully of plans beyound...

#83 2004-09-29 13:17:31

Grypd

Well they made the first one but that wobbling flight sort of indicates not all is happy in the Rutan camp. Looks almost as if there is aerodynamics issues.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#84 2004-09-29 13:21:54

BWhite

They plan on a five seater, right?

They have priced the ineffible. Why not reserve one seat as a lottery place? Seems they might make far more than their asking price.

I'm rather sure that 200,000 or more souls might be found each week to pay a dollar for the chance to ride off into space. Just a happy little thought.  big_smile

Branson should offer 4 tickets a year based on a frequent flyer mileage lottery. Every mile flown on Virgin Airlines equals one lottery ticket (Pay for 1st class? Get 3 chances per mile flown. Let the company expense account pay the tab.)

Use Virgin Galactic to sell seats on the airline - - that would be worth waaay more than $800,000 in ticket revenue.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#85 2004-09-29 13:29:23

clark

By George, Bill, I've think you've got it!  :laugh:  big_smile

#86 2004-09-29 13:35:52

BWhite

By George, Bill, I've think you've got it!  :laugh:  big_smile

If Branson still owned Virgin Records, put 2 tickets in a new CD release with the promise that the new pop star will fly with you.

Sell a few million new CDs; create a new pop star out of whole cloth; generate $5 or $10 million (or more) in revenue from a single flight of this new vessel.

= = =

Do the same with concert tickets. Two lucky ticket holders from a global concert tour (25 or 30 venues meaning hundreds of thousands of people) get to go suborbital with the singer.

Again, $800,000 in revenue is mere chump change.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#87 2004-09-29 13:43:21

clark

"I've got a golden ticket!" Ah, stop it Bill, you're killing me!  :laugh:  big_smile (Willi Wonka refrence, sorrie)

#88 2004-09-29 14:10:05

Rxke

...with the promise that the new pop star will fly with you.

Fatboy Slim, Pavarotti, Meatloaf need not apply...  big_smile

#89 2004-09-29 21:18:56

Mad Grad Student
Website

Dang, I wish I could have been there for today's flight. I was at the June 21 flight, and have the photos to prove it (Maybe I'll get around to posting them one of these days), and that was pretty nice, but this would have been really cool to follow up with.

Actually, I suppose the June 21 flight really was more historical (1st private manned space flight) and the atmosphere was probably different from that around today's flight. It had less of the scripted airshow feel, which is a plus if that attracts you.

The X Prize has simply been a phenominal victory for Alt. space. SpaceShipOne really didn't physically accomplish much, but psychologically it's worked wonders. The giggle factor is practically non-existant anymore and people are willing to seriously consider spaceflight for the first time. This bodes very, very well for the future Alt. space, space flight in general, and perhaps (dare I say it?) civilization.

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#90 2004-09-30 11:15:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

But what is really funny is the unique way to get funding that it would seem to be doing...

#91 2019-02-25 18:22:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

topic to fix when searching for perchlorate

Board footer