New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2019-02-03 10:52:26

tahanson43206

Simulated Mars Missions

A relative sent this link:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie … -on-earth/

I was unaware of the work being done by this Austrian group.

The expeditions described seem (to me at least) complementary to the Mars Society undertakings in Utah and on Devon Island.

(th)

PS ... SpaceNut ... if this post belongs elsewhere please move it. Thanks. (th)

#2 2019-02-03 14:17:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Simulated Mars Missions

https://oewf.org/en/portfolio/amadee-18/

The simulation was in a hot desert area which is more akin to the moon for what happens in terms of heat but after that its somewhat like mars sandy areas.

amadee18-location-150x150.png

Here is the simulated station on amars surface.

KeplerStation_VOG_00042-600x429.jpg

This is the analog crew in space suits trecking across the simulated mars surface..

2018_02_26_potd_EVA-600x429.jpg

This is the work that Mars society and other places are doing to varing degrees of conditions for simulations.

Another is the Hawiian station of the side of the volcanoe...

Then there is the 500 day station simulation as well

#3 2019-02-26 10:35:23

tahanson43206

https://www.economist.com/science-and-t … ng-to-mars

The link above points to a teaser that appears to describe an article about how NASA may be trying to prepare crews for a trip to Mars.

The teaser suggests that radiation and psychological challenges may be under study.

If anyone else can show related links, they might be of interest to some members of the Forum.

(th)

#4 2019-02-26 17:33:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

There are quite a few experiments going on at Flashline Mars Arctic Research Station (F-MARS) and Mars Desert Research Station (MDRS), McMurdo Base in Antarctica is in a way another, Hawaii Space Exploration Analog and Simulation (HI-SEAS), and if I remember correctly there is a mars 500 simulation of a habitat on mars being done as well.
The radiation and Psychological are ongoing aboard the ISS but the later is studdied in all of the others for sure as they are dealing with temporary personality of the average joe and not a trained person selected for the mission.

#5 2019-09-19 10:26:13

tahanson43206

Devon Island Google Earth Guided Tour

It's been a while since I've tried running Google Earth.

Today, I asked Mr. Google about Devon Island, and got back (as one of many citations) a report that Google Earth has prepared a Guided Tour of the island.

The tour ran in my browser, so I expect it will run for others.

For more information, follow the newly released Google Earth guided tour of Devon Island and NASA’s facilities or watch the short film below:

A link to the Tour is included in the citation above, at the link above.  It is too long to be copied and pasted here.

Google Earth itself didn't seem to know about the guided tour, but it found Devon Island all right.  Street View is of an ice sheet.

(th)

#6 2021-11-15 21:19:54

tahanson43206

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo … d=msedgntp

Earlier this month, six people began their tenure in an immersive experiment that's either your greatest dream or your worst nightmare: They're living in a simulated extraterrestrial colony while being monitored by its builders. It's part of Project Sirius, an eight-month off-world settlement test taking place in Moscow.

Given the rampant interest in colonizing other planets -- especially from SpaceX CEO Elon Musk -- scientists behind these experiments are learning what physical and psychological consequences could be in store for future Martian or lunar settlers. And even though 2021's Sirius simulation just started on Nov. 4, there's already a good chunk of data to work with from tests in 2017 and 2019.

The article at the link above is (apparently) about a current study in Russia.

(th)

#7 2023-09-26 08:32:55

tahanson43206

Discussion in the Large Ship (and other) topic(s) inspired bringing this topic back into view. The experiment performed in Russia was designed to last for 8 months, and it involved 6 people who were to live in a self-contained habitat on Earth.  It would be interesting to find out how the experiment went, but current conditions at the global level may interfere with flow of information.

If anyone in the forum has time (and the interest) to find out, I would definitely be interested!

(th)

Board footer