New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2005-02-23 12:46:29

Commodore

Re: Colonization; - Who will be first?

What proper colonization requires is a goverment representing mankind, or at least one representing the home countries of those going beyond.

A United States of Earth if you will, modeled on the US and EU consitutions, that recognises the colonies as a "nation" that has all rights of all the other nations, in it.

http://en.rian.ru/rian/index.cfm?prd_id … ert=0]This article addresses this point.

"Today we have some new ideas concerning the prospects of Russian-U.S. cooperation in the research of the Moon and Mars, for instance, the development of energy resources of the Moon," Mr. Prikhodko said.

According to him, Vladimir Putin and George Bush are to discuss the issues of space cooperation, in particular, from the point of view of the expansion of the legal basis for the implementation of joint projects.

How much you want to bet the issue won't make it to CNN.  :;):

If we could come away with a excemption for space agency finiacial cooperation in the Iranian reactor issue, that would be great.

Though its unlikely given the attention Iran is recieving right now.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#27 2005-02-23 13:09:24

clark

Politcs and space policy meet?

I wonder what kind of inducement Uncle Sam could offer Russia to stop supporting nuclear reactor activity in Iran?

I wonder what we could buy? Any suggestions?  big_smile

Two birds, one stone...

#28 2005-02-23 13:44:12

BWhite

Politcs and space policy meet?

I wonder what kind of inducement Uncle Sam could offer Russia to stop supporting nuclear reactor activity in Iran?

Our acceptance of a global geopolitical order not premised on US hegemony?  tongue

Who owns the Moon and asteroids? That is the question which will  ultimately drive the geopolitics of the next century, or two. Perhaps not ownership, per se, but the authority to draft laws governing ownership.

This wikipedia quote remains quite droll, concerning reaction to the Pope dividing the Americas between Portugal and Spain, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tordesillas]link:

The remaining exploring nations of Europe such as France, England, and the Netherlands were explicitly refused access to the new lands, leaving them only options like piracy, unless they (as they did later) rejected the papal authority to divide undiscovered countries. The view taken by the rulers of these nations is epitomised by the quotation attributed to Francis I of France demanding to be shown the clause in Adam's will excluding his authority from the New World.

Edited By BWhite on 1109187919

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#29 2005-02-23 13:52:12

Cobra Commander

Our acceptance of a global geopolitical order not premised on US hegemony?

So... lie to them?  big_smile

Who owns the Moon and asteroids? That is the question which will  ultimately drive the geopolitics of the next century, or two. Perhaps not ownership, per se, but the authority to draft laws governing ownership.

Which is bound up with the ability to reach them. If the UN works out an elaborate and exceedingly "fair" system for determining ownership, meanwhile China gets out there first and claims everything they can plant a big red flag on we both know what claim will stand.

Space property law will have to be developed along with space settlement, doing it after will lead to... incidents and doing it too extensively beforehand is just an exercise in pointless bureaucracy.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#30 2005-02-23 14:51:19

BWhite

Which is bound up with the ability to reach them. If the UN works out an elaborate and exceedingly "fair" system for determining ownership, meanwhile China gets out there first and claims everything they can plant a big red flag on we both know what claim will stand.

Space property law will have to be developed along with space settlement, doing it after will lead to... incidents and doing it too extensively beforehand is just an exercise in pointless bureaucracy.

I agree.  Read my sig. . .

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#31 2005-02-23 15:00:29

Cobra Commander

I agree.  Read my sig. . .

In that case we agree that the authority to draft space property laws is essentially simple possession. He who has the rockets makes the rules.

So let's build some friggin' rockets.  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#32 2005-02-24 00:27:14

Martin_Tristar

I agree with McCullough, in his assessment of the plan to get large scale colonization to Mars and expand humanity into space. Using the Moon and L Points close to the moon would provide an excellent zone to build large ships for cargo and human transport to Mars.

The logistics to move 100 people to Mars is hard moving 1000+ people will be more difficult becuase of training and other factors would require alot of earth resources and a large passenger launch facility into orbit and a large orbitial space station and alot of earth - moon transfer vessels.

But , I still think it can be done , after going through each error and elimiating them.

#33 2005-02-28 05:48:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

IMO "The logistics to move 100 people to Mars" is not all that hard to move, it is a matter of scale but the more important factor is one of safety for such large numbers of people to go all at once.
The shuttle could easly hold that number to LEO but it is a safety factor when you consider how long they might be before they could dock with the ISS that makes it more difficult for a vehicle not designed but retro fitted for that purpose.

#34 2019-01-29 18:26:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

need to fix this one too

#35 2021-09-15 15:55:17

Mars_B4_Moon

Russia halts development of lunar super-heavy rocket

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-halts-dev … 38048.html

#36 2023-02-20 14:10:57

Mars_B4_Moon

America’s new moonshot: Getting Europe to sign up to its space rules
https://www.politico.eu/article/space-r … rope-moon/

Why Is Commercial Space Travel So Expensive?
https://www.slashgear.com/856554/why-is … expensive/

Board footer