New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2018-11-05 18:05:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Erroding birthright citizenship

The census question on citizenship is going to court...

Census Citizenship Trial

The Supreme Court refused Friday to delay an upcoming trial in which a number of states and civil rights organizations...The first potential trial of the six lawsuits over the hotly contested 2020 census citizenship question 18 states challenging the census citizenship question

Supreme Court allows trial on census citizenship question to go forward

#27 2018-11-06 22:16:48

clark

I asked my mom's 65 year old friend the question of birthright citizenship. She basically said that illegals shouldn't be able to come across the border and have babies and have them have citizenship. Totally makes sense.

I posed the scenario: illegal kid gets born and lives in the US. fast forward 20 years. Marries another illegal kid born in the US. Are their children illegal, or legal? Fast forward 40 years. Are the kids of illegal kids illegal?

If you (US citizens) all think this is some theoretical bullshit hypothetical, well,  this is your own familial history.

Being American is an idea. Being a martian is an idea. That's why this forum is mostly american and why the underlying viewpoints of non-americans still align.

But i digress, i defer to whatever lame follow-up that is posted after this.

#28 2018-11-07 17:41:57

kbd512
Administrator

clark,

This argument isn't about people already residing in the US.  It's about people crossing our border just to pop out a kid so their kid automagically becomes an American citizen so they can then come up with an argument as lame as yours about why it is that they're entitled to be here.

Good grief.  Try harder.  Pretty please with sugar on top.  Try an emotional appeal.  It's the only honest argument the leftists have.

#29 2018-11-12 20:12:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

Opinion piece by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon I didn't understand how special America's 'right of the soil' was until I lived outside the U.S.

The right of the soil instills in the U.S. civic system a special kind of responsibility. And the ideas behind it strengthen our foundations.

As Americans born to people born elsewhere, we do not remain “foreigners” but we immediately are part of the idea of the United States. The right of the soil is sacred. It withstands time, this idea that it is not about where you came from, but of what you are capable. Indeed, it is part of what has kept us safe: this refusal to otherize our newcomers, and instead to immediately bind them to us. One nation, indivisible. And, when we don't live up to our principles, we have paths to express ourselves. We can write or vote or speak out or organize to make change.

Citizenship and patriotism are connected. We feel fervently about the nations that embrace us. We merge our story with theirs. This allows us to feel part of a greater whole. The right of the soil allows us all to embrace the responsibilities and the rights that spring with the privilege of being defended and protected by the American Constitution.

I cannot imagine growing up in a nation that told me I did not officially belong. To be a foreigner in my home.

#30 2019-01-15 18:51:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

The efforts to get you to claim what your citizenship is has hit a wall Judge rejects citizenship question for 2020 U.S. census

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross concealed his true motives in adding the question last March - which has not appeared on the decennial census since 1950. This was to be used as necessary to enforce federal laws protecting eligible voters. To which The real Id is for that same purpose.

The plaintiffs - 18 U.S. states, 15 cities and various civil rights groups - said that asking census respondents whether they are legal U.S. citizens will frighten immigrants and Latinos into abstaining from the count even if they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

is an Act of Congress that modifies U.S. federal law pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedures standards for state driver's licenses and identity documents, as well as various immigration issues pertaining to terrorism.

The Real ID Act Driver's License Summary details the following provisions of the Act's driver's license title:

Authority
    Data Retention and Storage
    DL/ID Document Standards
    Grants to States
    Immigration Requirements
    Linking of Databases
    Minimum DL/ID Issuance Standards
    Minimum Standards for Federal Use
    Repeal of 9/11 Commission Implementation Act DL/ID Provisions
    Security and Fraud Prevention Standards
    Verification of Documents

#31 2019-06-27 21:42:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

#32 2019-07-05 15:39:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

Are they nuts.. Sacramento County Says It's Illegal to Work on Your Own Car in Your Own Garage

With that wording yuou can not own the business that is doing the work on your own vehicle...

All this is due to lack of laws for safety, and hazardous wastes from automobiles....

#33 2019-07-05 21:13:41

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

It's kinda funny that you only recognize the nuttiness of these leftist wackaloons when they start going after something you personally care about.  This is the problem with people who don't understand or respect boundaries.  They can be very creative one minute and very destructive the next minute.  It's why they make the best "ideas people", but should never be the "in charge" people.  It has nothing to do with how intelligent they are.  There is no rule written anywhere that says very intelligent people with new ideas can't also be very destructive to themselves and others.

#34 2020-02-19 19:40:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

We know how good the everify system is and now we are creating 2 classes of americans with this system for paper proof that can be rejected as if its not real when its tattered.
Airports warn of chaos with looming Real ID license deadline

These days the forgery of paper is just not going to be good enough to prove whom you are.

#35 2020-02-19 19:48:30

louis

How is this relevant to Mars?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#36 2020-02-19 20:10:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

You can not get on board the flight as its controlled by the FAA...

Now dammed where is that latest video ...not

#37 2020-02-19 20:32:48

louis

Are you talking about America or Mars?

SpaceNut wrote:

You can not get on board the flight as its controlled by the FAA...

Now dammed where is that latest video ...not

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#38 2020-02-20 08:43:27

tahanson43206

This is for Louis first, for SpaceNut second, for kbd512 third, and for all who currently share this small vessel on its virtual way to Mars ...

Louis, something seems to have set you off recently, so I'm going to start out with best wishes for good personal health, good financial health, and good social health.

The interaction between SpaceNut and kbd512 has been helpful for me.  Like so many Americans, I have carefully walled myself off from the attitudes and points of view of some Americans which I have found so disturbing as to cause physical distress.  It is literally ** only ** by allowing myself to read a little bit of kbd512's writings that I am able to catch a glimpse of the deep divide that currently so threatens the United States, and quite possibly other nations as well.

You, Louis, have exactly the same option as I employ, which is carefully to avoid the Not So Free Chat topic.

Please consider that option.

This is a small collection of people, and SpaceNut is the active member who tries to keep conversation flowing.  At the same time, he (it seems to me) is a person with unusual empathy for others.  It is very much part of SpaceNut's nature to worry about others who are in distress, and to try to express his concerns in a public space.  kbd512 obliges by responding with text that reflects his prejudices and beliefs, and the result can be enlightening for someone trying to understand the psychological undercurrents in American society.

Again, I hope that if something has come up in your life that is causing difficulty, I hope you are able to swiftly overcome whatever it is.

(th)

#39 2020-02-20 17:40:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

Louis the FAA was put in play as a means to act as a clearing house for civilian population with regards to space tourism.

Alternative Space ventures - are we on the road to cheaper access

Space Activity Licensing >>>> - Controlling the Commercial Space Race

Space Tourism & Safety Regulations

Private Space Tourism

NASA To Order More Soyuz Seats

SpaceX, NASA and the new administration; the path forward?

FAA Approval - Moon Express and Implications for Space X

Trying to rewrite history and the truth about heritage is why this might be important as 'Educational malfeasance': Outrage over high school history lesson comparing Trump to Nazis and communists it would seem to be crossing that same line of hate and disinformation that the later does so often.

We have been through a time in the distent past where The Case That Defended the Homeless Vote which comes back to what is a residency question. The year was 1984, and the demonstrators included three Californians who were living in Santa Barbara’s Fig Tree Park.

Most want a physical address for mail delivery not a postal box, an electric bill with your name on it ect...

Government data from 1984 estimated that there were between 250,000 and 300,000 unhoused people across the country. Just three years later, those numbers had soared as high as 600,000. Today, American cities continue to ban overnight parking, sweep homeless encampments from public parks and pass laws that restrict public areas where people are allowed to sleep or sit — rules that criminalize homelessness and by extension criminalize being poor, advocates say.

Board footer