New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#326 2018-12-15 18:28:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Election Meddling

Ballot security a concern long before disputed North Carolina House race

It would seem that tightening security at their headquarters and protect the ballots stored there by installing an alarm and video cameras and securing an unlocked door that leads to another government office. The again thats what you get when the chairman of the county commissioners, who control the purse strings, did not see the need. When there was no evidence to suggest ballots were stolen or tampered with inside the building, warnings about the potential for political chicanery.

All of that may be there but not so elsewhere....

Not being able to verify the elections means a do over will be required.

Then you have the mail in ballot to which it is against the law in North Carolina for anyone other than a voter or immediate family member to handle someone's absentee ballot before it is sealed and mailed; which was not adhered too.

Of course then we have the postal service that really botched the delivery of them....

#327 2018-12-24 21:33:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

North Carolina affidavits released in alleged election fraud case

Illegal absentee ballot, collection...

So how many of the recievers of the ballots have the real ID which is required if I go to the voting location?

Which is just a way to denign you the right to vote if you are poor and lack official documents with the seals in good condition as proof when you go to get one....

#328 2019-01-12 12:48:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

The field of presidential candidates are starting to take shape
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St … tion,_2020
http://politics1.com/p2020.htm

I saw this announcement ths morning
Former US Housing Secretary Julian Castro (Texas)

#329 2019-01-26 17:17:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

The power of money seems to be turning its heading as Koch network gathers wealthy donors after it won't support President Donald Trump's 2020 re-election campaign.

They refused to back Trump during the 2016 election, vowed to hold him accountable to conservative priorities like free trade, free markets and small government and have been outspoken against the White House on immigration and infrastructure spending.
The Koch network was influential in the 2017 GOP tax overhaul and 2018 prison reform signed by Trump. As one of the nation's leading conservative powerhouses that has at times outspent even the Republican National Committee, the Koch network is increasingly showing its willingness to work with Democrats and investing in nonprofit groups to promote its vision for "free and open societies."

#330 2019-01-27 09:31:17

Terraformer
Website

conservative priorities like free trade

free trade

roll

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#331 2019-01-27 18:05:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Talk about a sore loser in not getting the populous vote President Donald Trump tweeted misleading statistics about voter fraud on Sunday, claiming that nearly 60,000 non-citizens voted in Texas and that 95,000 non-citizens were registered to vote in the state. Of course Trump is not stopping there as all over the country, especially in California, he says that voter fraud is rampant.
The Real Id for voting via the driver licensing system is as good as it gets as you must have multiple confirming documents that have seals on them which can be verified....

#332 2019-02-27 21:56:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

The mid terms were not without issues for voting but maybe for now this avenue seems to have been closed. US disrupted alleged Russian trolls' internet access during midterms

#333 2019-02-28 13:15:24

GW Johnson
Website

I suppose fraud is related to meddling.  The 95,000 name list of fraudulent voters that was recent news in Texas has turned out to be essentially BS.  It came from an AG who was re-elected in spite of being under indictment for crimes,  just because his name had an "R" after it on the ballot.

I find it telling that the only documentable significant voting fraud was committed by a Republican activist for a Republican House candidate in North Carolina.  He got caught,  and it appears will pay some sort of penalty. New elections were called,  and the Republican candidate for whom the fraud was committed is not running in the new election.  Hmmmmm.

Of the two,  the bogus fraudulent Texas voter list may actually be the bigger misdeed,  IMHO.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2019-02-28 17:37:33)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#334 2019-04-13 15:57:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

While Manning -- now known as Chelsea Manning after gender reassignment treatment -- was tried and imprisoned for the leak, Assange was able to continue his activities from the sanctuary of the Ecuador embassy. Julian Assange has been dumped out of his protrection and is in the hands of the British with many more nation in a list to want to get there hands on him for all that he has done. Including the DNC hack job which was coordinated with guicifier for the act of collusion whether commanded or not it happened. "Now  that Julian Assange has been arrested, I hope he will soon be held to account for his meddling in our elections on behalf of… the Russian government", US Senate Minority leader Chuck Schumer said via Twitter. WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said that US officials have been accusing Russia of alleged involvement in the US presidential election.

The 2016 Democratic National Committee email leak is a collection of Democratic National Committee emails stolen by one or more hackers operating under the pseudonym "Guccifer 2.0" who are alleged to be Russian intelligence agency hackers, according to indictments carried out by the Mueller investigation. These emails were subsequently published by DCLeaks in June and July 2016 and by WikiLeaks on July 22, 2016, just before the 2016 Democratic National Convention. This collection included 19,252 emails and 8,034 attachments from the DNC, the governing body of the United States' Democratic Party. The leak includes emails from seven key DNC staff members, and date from January 2015 to May 2016.

#335 2019-05-13 20:02:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is just another way that our elections are being corrupted Judge requires ballots in Spanish in more Florida counties duh we live in America so no its english that is all we should be using....

#336 2019-05-13 20:20:17

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

We probably should all speak English so that we can all easily communicate with each other, but we have no official language here in America.  I think The Founders were correct to not establish an official language.  After all, America is the nation of nations.  I'm all for having electronic ballots translated into as many different languages as we can manage to properly translate.  There's not an infinite amount of paper to expend on paper ballots, though, so we probably have to be reasonable about how we implement the judge's orders.

Edit:

English is the language spoken here by overwhelming majority.  My ancestors were from Ireland and Poland, but when they came here they learned English instead of demanding that everyone else learn Gaelic or Polish.  My wife is from Viet Nam, but she also learned English when she came to America.  When I was stationed in Japan, years before that actually, I learned Japanese.  Understanding is a key part of building trust with your fellow citizens.

Last edited by kbd512 (2019-05-13 20:24:58)

#337 2019-05-13 20:58:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

They only wrote the bills of the constitution in english. It was not made in all of the others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages … ted_States
I think that we are silly not to require it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English
English is the de facto official language and given official status by 32 of the 50 state governments
Its little wonder why we are still even united if we can not come to terms with something so simple....

I was surprised to see this map of what is the more common language after english
North-America-Language-Map.jpg

Then again we could be talking in native american languages
ChzHiL9UoAE84r6.jpg

Ah back to topic...I see it as another means to cheat, exclude ballots, claim false tally counts ect...

#338 2019-05-14 01:39:10

louis

Not making English the language of the USA was a potentially fatal constitutional omission.

kbd512 wrote:

SpaceNut,

We probably should all speak English so that we can all easily communicate with each other, but we have no official language here in America.  I think The Founders were correct to not establish an official language.  After all, America is the nation of nations.  I'm all for having electronic ballots translated into as many different languages as we can manage to properly translate.  There's not an infinite amount of paper to expend on paper ballots, though, so we probably have to be reasonable about how we implement the judge's orders.

Edit:

English is the language spoken here by overwhelming majority.  My ancestors were from Ireland and Poland, but when they came here they learned English instead of demanding that everyone else learn Gaelic or Polish.  My wife is from Viet Nam, but she also learned English when she came to America.  When I was stationed in Japan, years before that actually, I learned Japanese.  Understanding is a key part of building trust with your fellow citizens.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#339 2019-05-14 06:52:50

kbd512
Administrator

Louis,

I think America's Constitution is just a tad bit stronger than any specific language spoken.  More than 200 years after the experiment in self-governance started, it's still going strong.  Whether or not certain political groups are happy with our current yet ever-changing state of affairs is an entirely different issues.  100 years from now, we may all decide that Swahili is the language of choice.

#340 2019-05-14 09:43:44

elderflower

Isnt it more likely that The most spoken native language in Hawai'i is a Polynesian dialect? Neither Tagalog nor Navajo are native to those Islands.

#341 2019-05-14 10:30:00

tahanson43206

elderflower wrote:

Isnt it more likely that The most spoken native language in Hawai'i is a Polynesian dialect? Neither Tagalog nor Navajo are native to those Islands.

For elderflower ... thanks for the inspiration to find out .... The Hawaiian language persists, but there are (relatively) few speakers, apparently.

From Mr. Google I found:

What language is mostly spoken in Hawaii?
The report says more than 320,000 people spoke a language other than English at home. The top two languages spoken other than English are Tagalog and Ilocano. Japanese, Spanish, and Hawaiian rounded out the top five.Nov 25, 2015
Top languages other than English spoken in Hawaii - Honolulu ...

https://www.kitv.com/story/30439736/top … -in-hawaii

#342 2019-06-02 19:39:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

Warner: 'Height of irresponsibility' that Congress hasn't improved election security

The new bill retains its five original bipartisan co-sponsors, but notably now includes leaders from the Senate Intelligence Committee prepares election security plan to thwart Russian hacking. Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia, who serves as vice chairman, said the committee could release its plan this month or next.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/05/17 … ut-verify/
When Texas lawmakers talk about “election security,” trust but verify. Texas GOP election chief resigns after questioning citizenship of 100,000 voters The data used was deeply flawed and the effort to purge the rolls touched off an uproar.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tex … b-63309550

#343 2019-06-02 21:06:31

GW Johnson
Website

The Texas official thing is just politically-motivated misbehavior similar to gerrymandering.  That idiot got caught trying to suppress voters.  He tried to use the oft-repeated political lie about massive counts of non-citizens on the voter roles.  The data do not support those political lies,  they never have.  He was stupid enough to try,  though.  As far as I concerned,  he deserves worse than just being forced to resign.

The election security thing has very little to do with the oft-repeated political lie about non-citizens voting.  It has everything to do with hostile foreigners hacking into the computers this voting-machine system is based on.  If it uses a computer,  it can be hacked.  Vote totals and voter rolls can be changed. 

An eleven-year old girl recently did such a hack in under 10 minutes.  That threat is quite real. The bad actors who pose that threat include hostile foreign powers,  casual hackers,  and party zealots willing to commit crimes for party advantage (on both sides of the aisle). 

Another component to election security is disinformation spread largely by social media on the internet.  We saw lots of this leading up to the 2016 election.  It continues through the 2018 election to today.  That threat persists for the 2020 election.  It has not yet been effectively addressed. 

Foreigners (not just Russia,  we have many enemies) trying to affect the election,  and domestic extremists on both sides of the aisle,  are the potential bad actors.  The Mueller report documents the multiple entities and routes used by Russia in the 2016 election.  They gave inflammatory stuff to domestic extremists,  who then forwarded that crap to everybody.  It has effect by changing some minds of the electorate,  based on bad information. 

The partisan gerrymandering is a bad enough breach of the public trust,  but these election security threats far outweigh that,  for risk to our democracy.  I see nothing effective being done about it,  so far. 

Pleasant dreams!

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#344 2019-06-03 18:56:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

The issue with all of the tampering is that only 1 % means a win for a difference...and then the electoral take all states is just not even counting you vote. So if all we are is 1 vote to determine whom wins is not what was intended by the electoral college.

Of course the interference is still happening Russia Demands Tinder Shares User Data With Secret

#345 2019-06-06 20:25:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Part of the issue for the electoral college is the winner takes all of the votes even though the votes are not from a unamomous count....It was a means to give a weighting to the small populations to allow an equal vote count to be made so doing away with the electoral would make small states have very little effect of total populous counts...which would mean no time limits for vote counting as all must be counted...

Oregon voted Wednesday to become the 15th state to grant its electoral college votes to whoever wins the popular vote

winneer-take-all-778x445.png

#346 2019-06-07 19:42:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

New Election Security Bills Face a One-Man Roadblock: Mitch McConnell

Its sort of treasonous to think that our elections should go unprotected....

#347 2019-06-13 20:36:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

Just another reason in a line of ethics issues for this president Trump Says He Would Accept Dirt On 2020 Opponent From Foreign Government

https://www.dhs.gov/cisa/election-security

McConnel blocked the efforts to inform about the 2016 attacks and now he is doing it again when trying to protect our election security so that our votes count.

McConnell Blocks Election Security, Takes Checks From Voting Machine Lobbyists

Trying to back track does not make it any better.

#348 2019-06-14 00:06:15

Terraformer
Website

If they say they have a peepee tape, then it's fair game to accept foreign dirt on your opponent, right?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#349 2019-06-14 19:39:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

There happens to be multiple sources for the "pee tape" and not just the Steele dossier which was handed over to the FBI.
John McCain described how he received the Steele dossier that contains the most salacious allegations about Trump and Russia.

The significance of the fabled “pee tape,” after all, is not that it would reveal Donald Trump to be a pervert bent on defiling the place where Barack Obama slept. Rather, the tape matters because, if real, it would show the president to be vulnerable to Russian blackmail.

Indicated in the Mueller report, Michael Cohen received a text from Russian businessman Giorgi Rtskhiladze that said, “Stopped flow of tapes from Russia but not sure if there's anything else. Just so you know…” [...] Rtskhiladze said “tapes” referred to compromising tapes of Trump rumored to be held by persons associated with the Russian real estate conglomerate Crocus Group, which had helped host the 2013 Miss Universe Pageant in Russia. [...] Rtskhiladze said he was told the tapes were fake.

The pee tape isn’t real, and other things we learned that from the Mueller Report.
Special Counsel Robert Mueller is done investigating Donald Trump’s dastardly deeds. Turns out Trump is an idiot.

#350 2019-06-15 03:10:29

Terraformer
Website

I hope the people involved in the Steele dossier are investigated. People should go to prison over that.

Board footer