New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2016-11-21 15:02:51

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Possible goal for Trump Administration: Build a Lunar Hotel

So could Donald Trump build a Lunar Hotel? I'm not saying the Government should do it, but he does own a hotel company, he can arrange the government bureaucracy to remove roadblocks, and as a hotel person, he should know what they are. The Mars Colonial Transporter could be of great use in building a hotel on the Moon. What do you think?

#2 2016-11-21 15:40:39

louis

Re: Possible goal for Trump Administration: Build a Lunar Hotel

For several years now, I have thought a lunar hotel project will be financially viable if it uses Space X technology. I think the only reason Musk hasn't gone down that road is that he doesn't want to deflect from his laser like focus on Mars.  But I guess NASA would not be directly involved in a lunar hotel project? Who knows - NASA may do things differently now.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#3 2016-11-21 16:13:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

So we are calling the lunar hotel temporary sciencetific and manufacturing housing rooms while being paid by others to do the work on the moon. So is this a grand hotel room with a view? Or just a small efficiency stay: no food, no oxygen, or showers or rest room .....
So whom is paying the bill for the stay as well as for the worker to do the work?

#4 2016-11-21 16:44:52

louis

I'd think of something like maybe a 4 days' stay with a pressurised lunar rover trip to the Apollo 11 landing site.  I would expect that the first hotel would comprise inflatable habs.

The costs would be covered by a combination of ticket price (initially probably $10-20 million per person), payments for undertaking science experiments on behalf of universities/research bodies and sponsorship deals. Probably a lunar transit craft could carry 10 people to lunar orbit. Then updated Apollo style landers would take 3-5 people to the surface.  Air, water and rocket fuel would be pre-landed on the surface until lunar ISRU production was in place.

SpaceNut wrote:

So we are calling the lunar hotel temporary sciencetific and manufacturing housing rooms while being paid by others to do the work on the moon. So is this a grand hotel room with a view? Or just a small efficiency stay: no food, no oxygen, or showers or rest room .....
So whom is paying the bill for the stay as well as for the worker to do the work?

#5 2016-11-21 17:57:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sure will be vacant for long periods of time as there must be a bigger reason for going than for short sortie missions.....

Then there is the quantity of trips from anyone not Nasa or maybe our ISS partners which will need a huge up swing to make it a profitable business.

Just think we will want catering service, gardening flowers for each room and so much more to make it a place to really get large number of vacationers to come to... oh wait a minute I am just dreaming again.....

#6 2016-11-21 18:59:25

louis

I was thinking there would be at least a couple of visiting parties every lunar "day" (that's a 14 days period if I remember rightly). Maybe around 100 launches a year perhaps - generating perhaps $3-6 billion per annum in ticket sales alone.  I would think commercial sponsorship could certainly raise several hundred millions, as would payments for undertaking science experiments on the lunar surface.

The only reason I can think it wouldn't be feasible is if people weren't prepared to pay $10-$20 million each to go there. Are there really not say 2,000 super-rich people on the planet who would have that kind of money to spend on something that will immediately put them one up over their super-rich pals. Throw in a memorial Rolex watch for the ticket price that they get given on the moon.

Yes, you will need catering. But microwaveable meals for a few days' stay will suffice I would suggest. 

SpaceNut wrote:

Sure will be vacant for long periods of time as there must be a bigger reason for going than for short sortie missions.....

Then there is the quantity of trips from anyone not Nasa or maybe our ISS partners which will need a huge up swing to make it a profitable business.

Just think we will want catering service, gardening flowers for each room and so much more to make it a place to really get large number of vacationers to come to... oh wait a minute I am just dreaming again.....

#7 2016-11-21 22:54:33

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Interplanetary-Transport-System-1024x887.png
Lets assume these are the vehicles we use to get to the Hotel and back, they are designed to carry 100 colonists to Mars, I bet you they could do a decent job of bringing guests to the hotel. The Hotel would need 100 guest rooms, some of them would have double occupancy, some rooms would adjoin to accommodate a family taking the trip. Each room would include a double bed, some would have king and queen sized beds, in the room would be a flat-screen television/computer, there would be a bathroom with tub, shower, toilet, and sink. There would be a light switch, you flick it on, and shutters open in the ceiling to let in natural sunlight. the Hotel is located in the polar region so sunlight is always available, the hotel room otherwise has no windows.
Lunar1.jpg
On the other hand would you want a window in your hotel room, showing a scene like this?
Windows have some cost, and they let in radiation. I think if there was a window to the outside in your hotel room, you might want a shutter to completely block out the light when you want to go to bed. If you like, maybe their should also be a window in the ceiling so you can see the stars.

Last edited by Tom Kalbfus (2016-11-21 22:59:40)

#8 2016-11-22 07:59:19

louis

I'm sure you could transfer the MCT protocols to a lunar hotel mission and make quite a bit of money on the side.

The main issue I see with tourism is EVA - there would undoubtedly be a demand on the part of tourists to get into suits and jump around on the surface but as I understand it, getting into a NASA space suit and staying in it is one hell of a complicated business.  Of course people can go around in pressurised lunar rovers.  I guess tourism really calls for a cheap and cheerful mechanical pressure suit.

Tom Kalbfus wrote:

http://reallifeglobal.com/wp-content/up … 24x887.png
Lets assume these are the vehicles we use to get to the Hotel and back, they are designed to carry 100 colonists to Mars, I bet you they could do a decent job of bringing guests to the hotel. The Hotel would need 100 guest rooms, some of them would have double occupancy, some rooms would adjoin to accommodate a family taking the trip. Each room would include a double bed, some would have king and queen sized beds, in the room would be a flat-screen television/computer, there would be a bathroom with tub, shower, toilet, and sink. There would be a light switch, you flick it on, and shutters open in the ceiling to let in natural sunlight. the Hotel is located in the polar region so sunlight is always available, the hotel room otherwise has no windows.
http://www.dlr.de/pf/en/PortalData/6/Re … Lunar1.jpg
On the other hand would you want a window in your hotel room, showing a scene like this?
Windows have some cost, and they let in radiation. I think if there was a window to the outside in your hotel room, you might want a shutter to completely block out the light when you want to go to bed. If you like, maybe their should also be a window in the ceiling so you can see the stars.

#9 2016-11-22 08:50:40

elderflower

I dont think you need an hotel for moon tourism. There are very few hotels in Antarctica, people go on cruise ships. They might go to the moon in analogous fashion, so your spaceship needs to be fitted with similar facilities to a cruise ship.
Facilities on the moon need only be suitable for emergency stopovers and servicing of regular flights. Fuel manufacturing and refuelling depot seems the most important item. The cruise ship model will enable passengers to visit a number of interesting locations, including the far side.
Whilst he is President, I don't think Trump will be able to get involved in hotel projects with any hint of government money being involved. Any such move would just get bogged down in litigation.

#10 2016-11-22 09:13:36

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

One could substitute large flat screen, maybe even holographic 3D, video screens for windows, that way you'd reduce the chance of kids jumping on the beads and accidentally breaking those windows and depressurizing the hotel room if not he entire hotel! You also cut down on the radiation, because ultimately we want this hotel to be buried under a layer of regolith to reduce the cosmic rays that would penetrate into it. At least when guests are in their hotel rooms, they would not be receiving a dose of cosmic rays, if they go outside into space suits, they would be taking that risk of course. My idea was to provide a lot of entertainment within the walls of the hotel, basically taking advantage of the low gravity to do novel stuff. One could simulate an EVA using a teleoperated robot on the Moon's surface, removing the radiation risk of visitors. The people most at risk would be the staff of the hotel. I suppose the staff could be rotated in andout just like the guests, they could train at an Earthside mock up of the Lunar hotel, so they know where everything is when they get there. The staff, when they are done with their tour of duty at the Luna hotel, can then continue working at some terrestrial hotel, My guess is, that in the early days, they won't be bringing their families along with them to live on the Moon, though later on that might change. When guests travel to the Hotel, they would bring their food with them, along with the chefs to prepare them in that same spaceship. And interesting question is what happens to the scraps, the human waste and garbage that gets created during the guests stay on the Moon? Organic matter is valuable stuff, the Moon doesn't have much of that, it needs to be stored and recycled. Later on with some growth, the hotel can expand into a full fledged colony, it would then need soil to grow stuff in all those scraps the guests leave can then be converted into topsoil when missed with lunar regolith. The hotel would expand with permanent living quarters for the hotel staff and families, eventually indoor farms would be build for growing local food and reducing the cost of shipping it from Earth. An athletic center would be very important to keep the guests occupied with their low gravity antics, perhaps even a swimming pool, a tennis and basketball court, probably one and the same. A movable floor can cover the swimming pool when people want to play basketball or tennis on top of it. The ceilings would need to be pretty high, raising the basketball nets above regulation height might also be a good idea! Some games could be broadcast back to Earth for some extra income.

#11 2016-11-22 22:21:00

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

hpm_0000_0006_0_img0018.jpg
Here is the diagram for a standard basketball court
lunar_basketball_court_by_tomkalbfus-dapet9f.png
This is how we modify the court for Lunar Gravity.
Underneath this floor is an in ground swimming pool, and within this gym we can also set it up for Tennis or Volleyball. I got the idea for the swimming pool from the movie Its a Wonderful Life.

#12 2018-12-15 02:05:25

devinshwan

Hello, tom kalbfus,

Thanks for sharing 3D images are very nice. Can suggest to me 3d images details please share with me.

Thanks again!

Simi Valley tourist attractions

Last edited by devinshwan (2018-12-24 01:51:36)

Board footer