New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-11-17 08:59:36

karov

Venus Out

How much AU further from the Sun Venus have to be positioned in order to have 300-ish K surface temperature?

cf.: http://www.gdnordley.com/_files/Gravity.pdf

#2 2018-11-17 12:40:34

Void

Re: Venus Out

Karov,  very glad to see your return.  Did work on the material you presented.

What's on your mind?

Done.

#3 2018-11-17 19:46:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Some interesting tables in the document Karov to which the comparisons are playing what if we moved venus to earths location what would happen.

Venus spins is so slowly that it would cycle as earth has from global snowball to something much warmer based on its Co2 atmosphere. .

#4 2018-11-18 11:24:00

tahanson43206

Karov,

Thank you for providing the link to GD Nordley's paper on gravity in various locales!  While your focus here is on location of the planet in a solar system, the paper covers a wide range of considerations for design of science fiction stories (on one hand) or human settlement options (on another).  And the paper is not limited to human populations, as makes sense for science fiction writers.  I was intrigued by the notion that flight might accelerate development of intellect. 

For readers of NewMars forum who may not be familiar with Mr. Nordley's body of work, I'll paste a snapshot from Google below.

karov wrote:

How much AU further from the Sun Venus have to be positioned in order to have 300-ish K surface temperature?

cf.: http://www.gdnordley.com/_files/Gravity.pdf

Begin Quotation from Google search for GD Nordley:
G. David Nordley is a science fiction writer, physicist, and astronautical engineering consultant whose fiction writing is most associated with Analog Science Fiction and Fact. His fiction is under the name G. David Nordley while his technical writing is written under the name Gerald D. Nordley. Wikipedia
End Quotation
(th)

#5 2018-11-18 15:52:57

Void

Alright, this is quiet, so I will post.

Things I think I know:
-In the formation of a solar system, if the accretion disk allows it, apparently planets can be sucked in toward the sun and even into the sun.
-After the formation it is though that some of the planets in our solar system wandered, and displaced other planets.  Some collisions may have occurred.
-The solar wind impinges on planets and Moons over billions of years.  Why does this not push them out?  My guess is that that interaction of planets gravitationally, counteracts this potential process, and so they stay in place more or less. 

I really wouldn't bother to try move Venus, unless I was an advanced form, in the distant future, and the sun had gone into red giant.

Then my likely method would be to generate such an huge magnetic field around the planets I wanted to salvage to the outer solar system, that I might hope to overcome the status quo per planetary gravitational interactions, making use of the presumed very active solar wind at those times.

Otherwise, at this time, if I were less advanced than that but more advanced than we are, I would contemplate an inverse dysons sphere around a planet like Venus, if my goal was to cool the planet below normal.

More than that, Karov, I suppose you could try to put floating reflectors in the atmosphere of Venus.  I remember that that may approach some of your most favored dreams.

Done

Last edited by Void (2018-11-18 15:58:51)

Done.

#6 2018-12-09 03:32:55

karov

Thank you, guys for the response.

I mean: Venus as is now with orbital or insolation modification. Does not matter so much.

From Nordley's material it seems it will have >300K surface temperature even at the orbit of Saturn?

#7 2018-12-09 16:19:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

The heat of venus might not be only solar produced and if its nuclear then as Karov has indicated even at the location of saturn it will tke many more centuries to see it cooling off.
It makes for just another reason to plan the exploration of venus even further to answer just the nuclear energy input question.

Board footer