New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2018-10-25 11:35:05

RGClark
Website

Re: Towards highly reusable rocket engines.

elderflower wrote:

If you use an excess of carbon containing propellants, you will likely make a highly luminous, smoky flame. You may also coke up your combustion chamber. I would look at excess oxidiser to avoid these issues.

True. It's called "coking" with kerosene. I believe it's not as big a problem with methane though.

Bob Clark

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

#27 2018-10-27 07:19:00

RGClark
Website

Re: Towards highly reusable rocket engines.

XCOR’S physical assets and intellectual property were purchased by a non-profit devoted to instructing students in aerospace topics:

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2018/04/23/ … assets-ip/

Perhaps they could do the experiments with the XCOR engines.

By the way,  perhaps this non-profit could team with universities to apply for the Base11 Challenge for a university team to launch a liquid-fueled single stage rocket to the 100 km line for suborbital space:

https://www.herox.com/spacechallenge/le … ement-view

I was thinking they could supply the XCOR engines. However, the rules say the rocket must be “designed, built, and tested” by the university teams. So it’s a question if it would be allowed to use the XCOR engines.

Bob Clark

Last edited by RGClark (2018-10-27 07:40:24)

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

Board footer