New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2001-09-09 07:34:11

Adrian
Website

Re: Supporting Mars in the face of other ills - About a comment on an New Mars article

On this article about convincing the public to pay for a mission to Mars, someone made a very good point about why the public might be interested in Mars. I liked it so much I'm going to point it out here:

"Maybe what's needed is simplicity. Next to the donation box for the cancer victim there is a box for supporting a mission to Mars. Who knows, the first person who contributes might be a cancer victim. I think for one lacking a dream or searching; it is those who dream them up they depend on."

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#2 2002-01-02 20:52:29

Phobos

Re: Supporting Mars in the face of other ills - About a comment on an New Mars article

I like this idea of a checkbox on tax forms that enable a person to allocate money to a Mars mission.  Even if it doesn't raise enough money I think it still has the potential to raise the public consciousness about a Mars mission.  Even though I never check the box for allocating money to political campaigns, I'd certainly check the one that would help fund a
manned Mars mission.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#3 2002-10-11 09:30:37

Tom Jolly
Banned

An interesting subject, getting people to "donate" to the Mars effort. I see a vision of someone going door to door trying to collect money together for a Mars mission. Humorous, of course, since most people justifiably see the space industry as heedlessly throwing huge amounts of money around to do trivial things, thanks to NASAs huge bureaucracy and safety issues. Given that the common populace is most likely never going to donate "a dollar each", which wouldn't even pay for 1 NASA launch, the donation process is going to be limited to the high-stakes venture capital, advertising, media, entertainment, and rich philanthropists. I don't see any good way for this to ever become anything but an elitist effort. I think the Mars community should therefore be actively targeting the spectrum of ultra-wealthy supporters.

#4 2002-10-11 09:39:03

Bill White

Humorous, of course, since most people justifiably see the space industry as heedlessly throwing huge amounts of money around to do trivial things, thanks to NASAs huge bureaucracy and safety issues.

Maybe space advocates have been selling all the wrong memes. . .

Finding donors to support a military pilot's macho adventure is unlikely but how about donating money to support the first baby born on Mars?

A proposal for a "FirstSteps" Endowment Fund coming soon.

Possible graphic: An adorable toddler taking her "first steps" in a permanent  Martian settlement.

#5 2002-10-11 18:42:01

Shaun Barrett

Hi Bill!

I like what you're proposing. There's no substitute for good advertising because many people don't know what they want until somebody else persuades them they want it!
    Stating the obvious, I know, but most of so-called 'consumer demand' is simply the result of the influence of advertising. How do you know you really NEED a more up-to-date cellphone until someone shows you what you're missing?!

How do unimaginitive people (that's most of us! ) know they want a thriving human colony, exploring and settling Mars, unless we show them the vision?
    The First Steps angle is a stroke of genius, Bill! There are few things more evocative of hope for the future of humanity than a beautiful little child learning to walk.
    And the message that a few LESS dollars spent on new ways to knock things down, and a few MORE dollars spent on building up a future for mankind in space, would mesh beautifully with images of that first 'native' Martian!

I think it's just great!!
                                            smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2002-12-16 17:16:35

Echus_Chasma
Website

The power of advertising is alot stronger than I thought it would be.

A guy my dad knows owns this shop, he ordered these stupid spinning-top toys called "Bane-Blades" and no-body bought them for months. Then he saw a couple of adverts on T.V. which were part of the toys Ad campaign and now he has queues outside and he can sell 100 of the things in less than 10 minutes.

People are really quite shallow, especially young people like me. So if you can get into their minds, you can tell them anything and they'll believe you.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#7 2003-01-11 10:59:20

dicktice

The power of advertising is alot stronger than I thought it would be.

A guy my dad knows owns this shop, he ordered these stupid spinning-top toys called "Bane-Blades" and no-body bought them for months. Then he saw a couple of adverts on T.V. which were part of the toys Ad campaign and now he has queues outside and he can sell 100 of the things in less than 10 minutes.

People are really quite shallow, especially young people like me. So if you can get into their minds, you can tell them anything and they'll believe you.

I think/suggest we reserve the word "propaganda" for negative connotations, and perhaps use "public relations" for everything else.
The Mars Society, I suggest, could use as much public relations as it can get. Everyone I know, had never heard of the M.S. before I brought it up...and I just happened to stumble upon it myself, while searching the internet under "Mars". They'd heard of NASA, of course, but these days they just ho-hum at the obviously slanted "propaganda"--get my meaning?

#8 2003-01-11 11:06:11

soph

i think the problem is the higher end ms members think that public advertising would corrupt their scientific intentions.  However, these scientific goals would be greatly furthered by money and interest brought by PR.

correct me if im wrong about ms, please  big_smile

it would be really easy to advertise...Science Magazine, Popular Science, Discover, New York Times, etc.  These are all popular media with a lot of readers, and a lot of potential.  TV adds that air during shows like Bill O'Reilly, while somewhat expensive, would be a huge boost.  It is important to aim for the peak times and pages in media, because they will return more for the money...a shorter advertising campaign, maybe a week, of commercials, and sustained magazine ads, can generate huge interest.

#9 2003-02-22 18:30:42

Phobos

i think the problem is the higher end ms members think that public advertising would corrupt their scientific intentions.  However, these scientific goals would be greatly furthered by money and interest brought by PR.

Even though some MS members would no doubt consider it base to go the advertising route, I don't think it would hurt the Mars Society as long as it advertised in reputable sources like mainstream science magazines, newspapers, etc, and stayed away from controversial media outlets.  Think of it as the MS buying an entire page in a magazine to present their viewpoint on the adventure and importance of getting to Mars.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#10 2003-02-22 21:41:59

soph

A mainstream magazine like Scientific American, Nature, Popular Mechanics, Discover, National Geographic-these would be great outlets, IMHO.

Maybe even sponsoring a show on NASA?  An education show?

#11 2003-02-23 10:36:47

dicktice

I wouldn't want "public relations"  ever to be confused and/or suspected as advertising. Unpaid-for reportage of Mars Society events dramatic enough for inclusion on the pages of popularly read magazines is what I had in mind.

#12 2003-04-15 11:39:20

Ian
Banned

On this article about convincing the public to pay for a mission to Mars, someone made a very good point about why the public might be interested in Mars. I liked it so much I'm going to point it out here:

"Maybe what's needed is simplicity. Next to the donation box for the cancer victim there is a box for supporting a mission to Mars. Who knows, the first person who contributes might be a cancer victim. I think for one lacking a dream or searching; it is those who dream them up they depend on."

--------------
Editor of New Mars, Generation Mars
Phobos: "Even though I didn't like the idea of spinning the Mars hab enroute to Mars because it adds complexity, I think Shaun is right, maybe we better set that sucker on the spin cycle."

Couldn't someone donate money to both the cancer victim and the mission to mars at the same time?

#13 2003-04-15 20:16:21

dicktice

Re. Spinning-up ... I just had a silly sounding idea (or it's something I read so long ago that it just seems mine): Have a "sleep centrifuge" aboard the space hab enroute to Mars, such that when the crewmembers due for sleep, go to bed strapped onto a circular turntable, in the form of a 15-foot piepan, heads nearest the centre and feet resting on the inside of the peripheral rim. Then spin them up to 1/3rd-gee at the rim for eight hours while they sleep. That ought to take care of their bones!

Board footer