New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-10-10 20:02:27

Void

The Defence department picks three companies to develop rockets.

The Defense Department picks three companies to develop rockets for national security launches

Move this if you like moderators I won't mind at all
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/10/179 … op-grumman
Quote:

Through 2024, the United Launch Alliance will receive $967 million to develop its upcoming rocket called the Vulcan, which will build on the capabilities of the company’s current rockets, the Atlas V and Delta IV. Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems, originally called Orbital ATK, is receiving $791.6 million to create a new rocket called the OmegA launch system. Blue Origin will take home $500 million to aid in the development of its future New Glenn rocket, a reusable orbital vehicle designed to land back on Earth after launch. Each company will receive $109 million of their rewards for fiscal year 2018.

Seems that the New Glen will be one of the contenders, so Blue Origin might get a boost.

However if I read the article correctly only two out of 3 will be selected in the end.

So, each of these will I presume have some re-usability.
Vulcan, the engines and avionics.
OmegA, I presume the solid rockets.
And I think New Glen will at least re-use its 1st stage.

Good news I think.

Done

Last edited by Void (2018-10-10 20:09:09)

Done.

#2 2018-10-10 21:05:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: The Defence department picks three companies to develop rockets.

Space x got the boot in the deal...

Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems just bought up the team of Orbital ATK for what they can do...
Grumman Innovation Systems OmegA launch system is new though its replaccing the past rockets of orbital and of atk which were launching the Cygnus units to the ISS

United Launch Alliance Vulcan rocket is a replacement for the currect Boeing Delta family and lockheeds Atlas V
The main engines are being developed by Blue Origins efforts and are fueling there own rocket in the New Glenn.

#3 2018-10-11 04:52:02

louis

Re: The Defence department picks three companies to develop rockets.

Were Space X in the bidding?

Looking at the sums involved, you can see if a more rational approach had been taken years ago, we would be on Mars by now.

SpaceNut wrote:

Space x got the boot in the deal...

Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems just bought up the team of Orbital ATK for what they can do...
Grumman Innovation Systems OmegA launch system is new though its replaccing the past rockets of orbital and of atk which were launching the Cygnus units to the ISS

United Launch Alliance Vulcan rocket is a replacement for the currect Boeing Delta family and lockheeds Atlas V
The main engines are being developed by Blue Origins efforts and are fueling there own rocket in the New Glenn.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

Board footer