New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2018-07-24 05:21:14

Terraformer
Website

Egg centrifuge

A 1 metre diameter centrifuge that provides an acceleration of 0.5g would have to spin at 30 RPM. This is (probably) impractical for mobile animals, ruling out it's use in investigating mammalian fetal development, but eggs (probably?) don't have the same problems with high RPM. We can investigate that issue fairly cheaply down here before any hardware flies, anyway. If eggs are used, the space in the centrifuge can be very small - it's just an incubator - and there's no need to handle animal wastes or feeding.

I propose that a small centrifuge could be used to investigate fetal development of egg laying animals. The centrifuge could be launched using the Dragon spacecraft and mounted somewhere in the ISS. The fetuses would develop in the centrifuge and returned to Earth for study shortly before hatching. This would give important data regarding the potential for human fetal development on other planets and moons.

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#2 2018-07-24 11:29:34

Void

Re: Egg centrifuge

Seems like a good idea!

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#3 2018-07-29 03:40:11

elderflower

A foetus in an egg is effectively suspended in a liquid, so during most of its development it is weightless.

#4 2018-07-29 06:09:07

Terraformer
Website

Yet they have found that there are problems with foetal development in zero-G. It seems that foetuses need a down direction of some kind, but we don't know how much. Who knows, even 0.01g might be enough.

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#5 2018-07-29 07:51:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Spinning would force the yolk to the end or shell of the egg that would face outward from the center of spin. This could compress the fluids towards that direction. When the chick would grow it being of a higher denisty would also be forced to that same end as it developed. I think Bone is a higher denisity when compared to tissue. The question is would this lead to deformity?

#6 2018-07-29 11:17:22

Terraformer
Website

1g of acceleration doesn't lead to deformed chicks at the moment, so I doubt it would in space.

At any rate, the point isn't to spin them at 1g, but at differing levels of partial-g. Maybe 0.1 to 0.5.

#7 2018-07-29 11:24:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sounds like a do able ISS experiment that would look at furtelize egg developement for the spin rates to me to chick hatching.

Board footer