New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-07-27 10:35:32

RGClark
Website

Beamed propulsion imminent.

Innovative new developments with ultra-high intensity micro-scale LED's make possible beamed orbital propulsion and space-based solar power:

Beamed propulsion doable now, and with it space solar power.
https://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2018/ … -with.html

Bob Clark

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

#2 2018-07-27 16:48:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Beamed propulsion imminent.

Beamed power comes in 2 forms reflected concentrated tracked solar or light source and rf emitted or transimited to a target where it is recieved. We know that there are risks to each application.

#3 2018-07-27 20:15:13

kbd512
Administrator

RGClark,

I'm going to dig into what they're proposing, but thanks for posting this.  I'm of the opinion that this is the only realistic way that we're going to dramatically reduce launch costs.  I wonder how much simpler the problem would become if we use a Falcon 9 booster to push the upper stage outside of the atmosphere, whereupon the LH2-fueled upper stage and heat exchanger is accelerated to orbital velocity from a ground station downrange.  I think StratoLaunch is a good way to test this concept using smaller solid boosters.  The launch abort options from 40Kft are much better than the abort options from a ground start.

#4 2018-07-27 20:42:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

The issues of beamed energy in any form we have talked about since there is a chance that something will enter the beam that does not belong there, that the beam will not hit its actual target location are some of what we have looked at.

Board footer