New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-07-13 03:14:07

RobertDyck
Website

America Since WWI history and actions

kbd512 wrote:

I want to know when I can simply drive into Canada or Mexico without presenting identification to their government.

It used to be legal to drive between US and Canada, no identification. I did it myself. But now you need a passport. After 9/11, the US required a passport. Before 9/11, Manitoba driver's licenses didn't have a photo. I didn't have any form of photo ID. After 9/11, I got a passport, just in case. US officials allowed a driver's license with photo ID when crossing by land for several years after 9/11, so Manitoba added a photo to their driver's license. But now a passport is required there too. Because Americans require a passport to get back home, not to enter Canada but to return home, this has greatly reduced the number of Americans who come to Winnipeg for conventions. Like me before 9/11, many Americans don't have a passport. They don't want to get one just to attend a convention.

#2 2018-07-13 06:04:45

kbd512
Administrator

Re: America Since WWI history and actions

Rob,

9/11 was what happened when we tried open borders, aka "pretend security", at airports.  You can thank the islamic terrorists for that.  Blaming everyone else except the people who murdered the other people is a waste of time and energy, yet the murdered people are still very dead and the other people who lived are still very terrified.  If we ever decide to return to security sanity (well trained and disciplined men with guns) from security piece theatre (paper pushing and groping in a Wal-Mart style checkout line), then maybe, but the open borders silliness is a quaint idea that never seems to work in the real world because there's always some evil clown out there who ruins it for everyone else.  Always.

#3 2018-07-13 09:12:32

RobertDyck
Website

kbd512,
Please stop blaming everyone else. The US occupied Arab countries and assassinated leaders you couldn't control. Osama bin Laden was a leader trained by the CIA as part of the Mujahideen to fight against the Soviet Union. The US thought the Mujahideen was their dog, but it was actually a loose coalition of tribes fighting against a common enemy. They weren't about to trade one master for another. Osama and his followers wanted all foreign troops off Arab soil. Fighting against h escalated. After US embassies and the USS Cole, Bill Clinton ordering B52 to carpet bomb their training camps and a cruise missile into a cave, they had to take the fight to US soil. The tried a truck bomb in the garage, but that didn't work. That attack told us their target, they would try again. I predicted 9/11 six months before it happened. A lot of people did. One senior FBI agent warned the government until he got fired for it. Airport security couldn't stop it; if the attack wasn't that way it would have been another.

#4 2018-07-13 09:51:06

M-Albion-3D
Website

Absolutely fascinating and much to consider, thanks gentlemen for these recent posts.

....911, has a nice ring to it, three digits?

#5 2018-07-13 10:52:37

kbd512
Administrator

Rob,

Blame other people?  That's pretty rich.  You've never stopped blaming America for anything and everything.

We typically solve the problems that other people create, but clearly not in the way they think we should.  We are not responsible for every decision anyone else on planet Earth makes.  The Russians invaded Afghanistan and they were communists at the time, or so their government claimed, the Afghanis wanted them out of Afghanistan, they asked for our help, we provided it, and then bin Laden thought we were somehow obligated to both pay to rebuild Afghanistan after the Russians left and get out at the same time.  It doesn't work that way when we're bankrolling the operation.  A couple decades later, we asked the Taliban to give up bin Laden after it was clear his people killed our people on 9/11.  They refused, so we went after them.

Iraq never actually abided by the terms of the cease fire agreement after the first war.  They were still shooting missiles off (ineffective since we understood the Russian's missile technology) at our planes when former President Bush decided to send our military there a second time.  Whether you ever read about that in the papers, were living under a rock at the time, or just don't care, guess what?  We don't care, either.  The first time we went over there, it was because of our ally- Britain.  We weren't going to lift a finger to involve ourselves in their territorial dispute.  We didn't care who supplied oil to us and Iraq even wanted to give the US a better deal for the oil.

The Shah of Iran made Iran a modernized country and we had business interests over there, until a bunch of religious zealots decided they wanted to live like they did in medieval times.  They also decided to kidnap our people, which is why we went to Iran.

Here's a thought.  Osama bin Laden is not a head of state.  He doesn't have any say-so in where US military forces are positioned.  The only thing he ultimately accomplished, with respect to where US military forces are positioned, besides murdering a lot of people- both Arabs and Americans, was to get a bullet from a US Navy SEAL positioned in his head, along with one of his sons.  If he wanted US forces out of Arab countries, then killing Americans wasn't the right way to do that.  There are more Americans there now than ever before.  Imagine that.

#6 2018-07-14 01:37:36

RobertDyck
Website

kbd512 wrote:

Blame other people?  That's pretty rich.  You've never stopped blaming America for anything and everything.

...The Russians invaded Afghanistan... the Afghanis wanted them out of Afghanistan, they asked for our help

America wanted revenge against the Soviet Union for Vietnam. So America wanted to make Afghanistan as bad for them. America saw itself as religious and the Soviet Union as atheist, so thought they could use the common cause of religion to recruit locals. Arab countries didn't see it that way, they had multiple millennia of temporary alliances: the enemy of my enemy is my ally, but today's ally could be tomorrow's enemy. They certainly weren't about to trade one oppressor for another. So once the Soviet Union left, they were grateful, but certainly did not see themselves as vassal of America. The CIA tried to treat Afghanis as a vassal, which turned a former ally into a new enemy.

kbd512 wrote:

we were somehow obligated to both pay to rebuild Afghanistan after the Russians left

Nobody outside the US believed that. They just wanted an ally to fight a common enemy, that's all.

kbd512 wrote:

A couple decades later, we asked the Taliban to give up bin Laden after it was clear his people killed our people on 9/11.  They refused, so we went after them.

Actually, they said yes. Since bin Laden would face execution, they asked for evidence that he was guilty. Any western country would ask the same, including Canada. But George W. Bush refused to provide evidence, he said comply or else. So...

kbd512 wrote:

Iraq never actually abided by the terms of the cease fire agreement after the first war.  They were still shooting missiles off (ineffective since we understood the Russian's missile technology) at our planes when former President Bush decided to send our military there a second time.

The UN explicitly forbade the US from establishing no-fly zones. All no-fly zones were illegal. They had a right to defend their territory against military incursion by a force that had just completed a war against them. And Bush Jr. hired the same people in his cabinet as his father, who all wanted to continue policies and conflicts of Bush 41. Daddy had a war with Iraq, so Bush Jr. wanted one too. Anything else was an excuse.

kbd512 wrote:

The Shah of Iran made Iran a modernized country and we had business interests over there, until a bunch of religious zealots decided they wanted to live like they did in medieval times.  They also decided to kidnap our people, which is why we went to Iran.

Wikipedia: 1953: Iran

The 1953 Iranian coup d'état, (known in Iran as the "28 Mordad coup") was the overthrow of the democratically elected government of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh on 19 August 1953, orchestrated by the intelligence agencies of the United Kingdom (under the name "Operation Boot") and the United States (under the name "TPAJAX Project"). The coup saw the transition of Mohammad-Rezā Shāh Pahlavi from a constitutional monarch to an authoritarian one who relied heavily on United States government support to hold on to power until his own overthrow in February 1979.

When you throw out a democratically elected government to install a puppet, the locals do not accept your puppet.

kbd512 wrote:

Here's a thought.  Osama bin Laden is not a head of state.  He doesn't have any say-so in where US military forces are positioned.  The only thing he ultimately accomplished, with respect to where US military forces are positioned, besides murdering a lot of people- both Arabs and Americans, was to get a bullet from a US Navy SEAL positioned in his head, along with one of his sons.  If he wanted US forces out of Arab countries, then killing Americans wasn't the right way to do that.  There are more Americans there now than ever before.  Imagine that.

This is the kind of thinking that resulted in 9/11. Outgoing president Bill Clinton warned Bush Jr. that bin Laden was the threat. But his team couldn't understand involvement of a non-state player. And they wanted to continue policies of Daddy. Result: 9/11. And Iraq didn't have anything to do with 9/11. More American soldiers lost their lives in Iraq after 9/11 than all those who died in 9/11. But the greater offence is America obsesses over 3,000 lives lost in each of 9/11 and Iraq, but ignore 100,000+ Iraqi civilian lives lost.

You want an example of what should be done? Canada in the Netherlands during World War 2. Canadian troops attacked Nazis, drove them out of Holland. Then Canadian troops immediately left, moved on to Germany itself. No Canadian troops stayed in Holland to "stabilize" it. Canada did not try to dictate the form of post-war government. Canada did not pay to rebuild post-war Holland. We just kicked out their invader, then promptly left. To this day the Dutch love Canadians! One of my closest friends took a tour of Europe as soon as he graduated college in the mid-1980s. He got a lot of attention from young ladies in bars! World War 2 is long before any of us were born: me, my friend Brian, those young ladies, but the Dutch literally love Canadians. And I'm told they still do to this day.
Wikipedia: Military history of Canada during World War II - The Low Countries

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-07-14 02:27:05)

#7 2018-07-14 17:50:28

kbd512
Administrator

RobertDyck wrote:

America wanted revenge against the Soviet Union for Vietnam. So America wanted to make Afghanistan as bad for them. America saw itself as religious and the Soviet Union as atheist, so thought they could use the common cause of religion to recruit locals. Arab countries didn't see it that way, they had multiple millennia of temporary alliances: the enemy of my enemy is my ally, but today's ally could be tomorrow's enemy. They certainly weren't about to trade one oppressor for another. So once the Soviet Union left, they were grateful, but certainly did not see themselves as vassal of America. The CIA tried to treat Afghanis as a vassal, which turned a former ally into a new enemy.

Maybe you believe that, but I assure you that our activities in Afghanistan during the Cold War had everything to do with opposing the spread of communism and nothing to do with any desire for revenge.  Prior to Viet Nam, we put troops in Korea and left them there because the communist North Koreans continually threatened to come across the border and, in point of fact, persisted with ineffectual small scale attacks many decades later.  If you think the US was oppressive towards the Afghanis, then you're spectacularly ignorant of what the Taliban did while they were in power.  If you think anyone in the US thinks of Afghanistan as another US ally, now or when the Soviets were driven from Afghanistan, then I really wish you'd share some of whatever it is that you've been smoking.  The CIA left Afghanistan almost entirely after the Soviets left.  It was always viewed as a non-strategic backwater.  As much as any other government agency, the CIA thought it was their specific job to fight communism.  When the communists left, it was mission accomplished as far as they were concerned, and they left to oppose the communists in other places.

RobertDyck wrote:

Nobody outside the US believed that. They just wanted an ally to fight a common enemy, that's all.

You believe lots of things, but that doesn't lend any credibility to your ideas.

RobertDyck wrote:

Actually, they said yes. Since bin Laden would face execution, they asked for evidence that he was guilty. Any western country would ask the same, including Canada. But George W. Bush refused to provide evidence, he said comply or else. So...

The Taliban never had any intention of giving up bin Laden, much as the Japanese never had any intention of giving up their emperor.  It matters not, though.  Both ordered unprovoked attacks on America and we responded.

RobertDyck wrote:

The UN explicitly forbade the US from establishing no-fly zones. All no-fly zones were illegal. They had a right to defend their territory against military incursion by a force that had just completed a war against them. And Bush Jr. hired the same people in his cabinet as his father, who all wanted to continue policies and conflicts of Bush 41. Daddy had a war with Iraq, so Bush Jr. wanted one too. Anything else was an excuse.

The UN doesn't dictate cease fire terms to combatants and it never has.  The Iraqi government broke the terms of the cease fire and continued acts of war against American military aircraft.  The no-fly zones were established to prevent the Iraqi government from murdering his own people.  As far as the exact reason why Bush Jr. went back to Iraq, that was because "they tried to kill my daddy."  That was a reference to the failed assassination attempt against Bush Sr.  The US Navy was only too happy to support the effort because they were tired of Iraqi surface-to-air missiles being fired off at their pilots.

RobertDyck wrote:

When you throw out a democratically elected government to install a puppet, the locals do not accept your puppet.

For that we can thank our "allies", the British.  The French wanted the US in Viet Nam, the British wanted us to overthrow PM Mo, a lot of what we did in Central America was also related to the interests of the French, and so on.

Quite frankly, PM Mo's policies resembled those of a dictator before he was removed from power.  Dissolution of parliament, removing all power from the monarchy, taking land from Nafadh to give to Bul, etc.

Maybe we should just quit playing along with every dumb idea our "allies" have.  Honestly though, I think we're just tired of amateur hour every time there's a war on.  The British couldn't send a tiny convoy of ships across the Atlantic during the Falklands War.  It was mostly dumb luck that the Argentinians didn't sink every ship in that convoy.

RobertDyck wrote:

This is the kind of thinking that resulted in 9/11. Outgoing president Bill Clinton warned Bush Jr. that bin Laden was the threat. But his team couldn't understand involvement of a non-state player. And they wanted to continue policies of Daddy. Result: 9/11. And Iraq didn't have anything to do with 9/11. More American soldiers lost their lives in Iraq after 9/11 than all those who died in 9/11. But the greater offence is America obsesses over 3,000 lives lost in each of 9/11 and Iraq, but ignore 100,000+ Iraqi civilian lives lost.

Bush's own National Security Advisor warned him that bin Laden was planning another attack.  Like so many other warnings, it was ignored.  Somewhere along the way I think several national

I know it's strange to you that we don't obsess over how many lives are lost from amongst the people we're fighting, but we don't and probably never will.  We didn't obsess over how many Japanese or Germans we killed in WWII, either.  We fire bombed Dresden and leveled several other cities.  While we're at it, let's not forget what we did to Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

RobertDyck wrote:

You want an example of what should be done? Canada in the Netherlands during World War 2. Canadian troops attacked Nazis, drove them out of Holland. Then Canadian troops immediately left, moved on to Germany itself. No Canadian troops stayed in Holland to "stabilize" it. Canada did not try to dictate the form of post-war government. Canada did not pay to rebuild post-war Holland. We just kicked out their invader, then promptly left. To this day the Dutch love Canadians! One of my closest friends took a tour of Europe as soon as he graduated college in the mid-1980s. He got a lot of attention from young ladies in bars! World War 2 is long before any of us were born: me, my friend Brian, those young ladies, but the Dutch literally love Canadians. And I'm told they still do to this day.

I think we learned that from the British and French.  Speaking of which, the Europeans can love or hate Americans to their hearts' content, but we're the reason they're not speaking German or Russian.  Maybe we should just let other people liberate themselves, but they'd just blame us for not showing up if we did that.

#8 2018-07-14 20:35:49

RobertDyck
Website

kbd512 wrote:
RobertDyck wrote:

America wanted revenge against the Soviet Union for Vietnam.

...our activities in Afghanistan during the Cold War had everything to do with opposing the spread of communism...

How is that different from what I said?

kbd512 wrote:

If you think anyone in the US thinks of Afghanistan as another US ally...then I really wish you'd share some of whatever it is that you've been smoking.

I don't smoke. Anything. I don't do drugs. I do drink, and make wine from grapes I grow in my back yard. Last year's crop didn't turn out. I'm a good boy. Canada is in the process of legalizing marijuana, but I've never smoked any, ever; never touched it. Again, I'm a good boy. After all, I've gotten jobs writing software for tax systems, banking, city welfare department, and mostly commercial corporate IT. You can't get jobs like that if you have a criminal record. So I've been a good boy. (Where's the Southern Comfort?)

kbd512 wrote:

The Taliban never had any intention of giving up bin Laden...

Correct response would be to withdraw any operatives who would be compromised by revealing intelligence, then give requested evidence to the Taliban. If they still refused, then invade. That's called "calling their bluff". But George W. didn't. His failure is a failure of character. You Americans like to obsess about character, this a major character flaw of Bush Jr.

kbd512 wrote:
RobertDyck wrote:

The UN explicitly forbade the US from establishing no-fly zones.

The UN doesn't dictate cease fire terms to combatants and it never has.

Really? You obsessed over UN orders regarding weapons of mass destruction when justifying the second Iraq war. I could go on.

kbd512 wrote:
RobertDyck wrote:

For that we can thank our "allies", the British.  The French wanted the US in Viet Nam, the British wanted us to overthrow PM Mo, a lot of what we did in Central America was also related to the interests of the French, and so on.

Really? That seems awfully subserviant to your allies. Since when was the US so subservient to the British?

kbd512 wrote:

Quite frankly, PM Mo's policies resembled those of a dictator before he was removed from power.  Dissolution of parliament, removing all power from the monarchy, taking land from Nafadh to give to Bul, etc.

Why the hell do you think it's your authority to make that decision, or to intervene in some other country? Frankly, PM Mo (to use your contraction) had policies to ensure domestic control of industry that dominated their economy. Why is that bad? Iran was a modern western civilization before overthrowing that government. Everything has been down-hill since.

kbd512 wrote:

Maybe we should just quit playing along with every dumb idea our "allies" have.  Honestly though, I think we're just tired of amateur hour every time there's a war on.  The British couldn't send a tiny convoy of ships across the Atlantic during the Falklands War.  It was mostly dumb luck that the Argentinians didn't sink every ship in that convoy.

Excuse me!?!?! The British sent a series of 7 Vulcan bombers in operation Black Buck, to drop bombs on Argentina. Those bombers normally carry nuclear bombs. This was the longest bombing run of any aircraft ever in history. The fact they could do it sent a message to Argentina. The message is Britain could drop nuclear bombs on them at any time. They dropped convention ordinance, but the message was received. The US always sends way too much to any conflict. British response to the Falklands was strong and appropriate.

kbd512 wrote:

Bush's own National Security Advisor warned him that bin Laden was planning another attack.  Like so many other warnings, it was ignored.

I could make various disparaging remarks about George W.

kbd512 wrote:

I know it's strange to you that we don't obsess over how many lives are lost from amongst the people we're fighting, but we don't and probably never will.

Note I didn't say enemy combatants, I said civilians. This is why America has enemies.

kbd512 wrote:

I think we learned that from the British and French.  Speaking of which, the Europeans can love or hate Americans to their hearts' content, but we're the reason they're not speaking German or Russian.  Maybe we should just let other people liberate themselves, but they'd just blame us for not showing up if we did that.

Canada joined World War 1 long before America. Again for World War 2. Do you want me to look up dates? The reason America joined the battle is if Nazi or Bolsheviks won, they would have conquered America too. Don't act "holier than thou", America acted in its own self interest.

#9 2018-07-14 20:51:38

RobertDyck
Website

veronicafoster-ronniebrengungirl-smoke.jpg?resize=640%2C479
Ronnie the Bren Gun Girl. Real name "Veronica Foster Guerrette". Recruitment poster in Canada. America later copied this, created their own poster called "Rosie the Riveter". Another example of America copying Canada, following Canada's lead, yet trying to claim they invented it.

wip__bren_gun_girl_by_decoechoes-d3ez5qt.jpg

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-07-15 02:48:38)

#10 2023-08-06 15:40:47

Mars_B4_Moon

I feel this thread is missing its first post or first couple of posts...maybe lost in an old interweb crash

Treaty of Lausanne 1923 the final treaty concluding World War I
https://www.britannica.com/event/Treaty … sanne-1923

Before WW1 the USA was mostly isolationist, War breaks out 1914 to 1918 and reluctantly after Two Global Wars the USA became the 'World Police' with the USSR as its rival and a new ColdWar.

maybe I could also post a comment or news in the Nuclear Power is Dangerous Use With Care thread

I don't know what to think of WW1 sometimes I think it was a complete waste of a war and achieved nothing, back then they perhaps thought it would be the last war and if they survived it WW1 would end all war they thought to themselves.

Almost 100 years ago the soldiers of France and Belgium occupy the Ruhr area, to force Germany to make reparation payments, a huge earthquake devastates Tokyo and Yokohama, rumors and gossip spread saying ethnic Koreans in Japan had poisoned wells or were going to do 'something' so the mobs came out, the Japanese police and bands of armed vigilantes killed ethnic thousands of Korean civilians. The Germany currency would collapse with Hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic. There was the first stable flight of the first rotorcraft, Niels Bohr and Dirk Coster make paper on X-ray spectroscopy,  a British archaeologist finds the entrance to King Tutankhamen's tomb.   Edwin Hubble announced that Andromeda, previously believed to be a nebula, is actually another Galaxy like our own. Marxism, Communism, Socialism started to grown like crazy the birth of all the weird Antifa Rioter stuff you see today. It changed the intellectual class of South America, many in Latin America begun to turn away from the European social and cultural model. Almost 100 years ago the Barbary lion of Morocco goes extinct, the Amur Tiger of South Korea goes into extinction, a silent horror film Nosferatu came out and US animation became a big thing as Walt Disney founded The Walt Disney Company.

WW1 changed the meaning of Citizenship what it meant for Allegiance to a state and nation like the USA, in the East of Europe the islamic Empire ruled by Ottoman government collapsed, Ataturk tried to modernize Turkey into a secular country through 'Kemalism'. My personal opinion perhaps you could class me as Liberal or Progressive on some issues I'm not in the USA but I agree on Trump's muslimism ban or how Jimmy Carter banned Iranian islamist jihad immigration into the United States of America, an Act against undesirables Jimmy Carter's Admin deemed as external threats to national security.

Druing and After WW1 new 'Groups' and Factory work and Women's role and volunteering expands Red Cross, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts it would shape the US way of life. Culture moves with diplomats and soldiers going to Europe and Asia there was a cultural exchange, a period of music and dance explode with the Roaring ’20s. Asia got industrial, Japanese ships proved themselves better than Russian ships in the Russo-Japanese War, the 'Chinese Labour Corps' repair tanks and the graves put not far from the graves of French forces before the war the United States was not truly seen as the world leader but came out of the war becoming a world leader. The Theocratic monarchy and imperialism dies for a while European Monarchies started to slowly die replaced by nation states and Democratic ideas but it depends where you were some nations were miserable after WW1 and did not enjoy the benefits of peace. We got to see the horror of a Global Influenza epidemic the so-called Spanish flu. Perhaps WW1 had great advances in US biology sciences, the medical field greatly advancing especially in the treatment of 'shell shock' or mental disorders, limb replacement, and plastic surgery, Aviation changes in WW1 with the large-scale use of aircraft a small plane almost sinks a big ship. They tried to fix the pitch of a musical instrument your 'A' note was signed into Law as 435 hertz an agreement was eventually written into the Treaty of Versailles...it seems to have unoffically changed to 440 hz since then by way of twig and fiddle with pressure and room temperature you can shift this 'rule' around a little bit.

Without WW1 perhaps there would be no WW2.

Japan: Hiroshima Observes Moment Of Silence To Mark 78th Atomic Bomb Anniversary
https://www.sfweekly.com/news/national/ … c925f.html

Hollywood seems to be back and making money again...the writers strike has not hit...yet.

Interesting to see a biographic film do so well, a movie about J. Robert Oppenheimer

Barbie and Oppenheimer gross one billion dollars at global box office
https://www.cweb.com/barbie-and-oppenhe … ox-office/

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-08-06 16:07:42)

#11 2023-08-08 08:13:00

Mars_B4_Moon

Some would like to class the USA as an 'Empire' but if it is an Empire it is very different to past Empires

'Low-Income Puerto Ricans to Get $450 Million for Rooftop Solar'
https://www.motherjones.com/environment … esilience/

Puerto Rico officially the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and unincorporated territory of the United States. Spain ceded Puerto Rico, along with the Philippines and Guam, to the U.S. under the Treaty of Paris, in year 1899; Spain relinquished sovereignty over Cuba, but did not cede it to the U.S
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/sp1898.asp
the US has tried to make it an English speaking state / colony / protectorate but it does not have an English speaking culture
it is 94.3% Spanish.

Sometimes seen as a 'foreign culture' Puerto Ricans have been U.S. citizens since 1917, and can move freely between the island and the mainland
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1402

before the wave of Al-Qaeda ISIS Terrorism, there were Puerto Rican nationalists from New York City who attempted to assassinate President Harry Truman.

Parts of Asia are not under British Colony influence but more 'Americanized'
in Asia a once closed country. Long ago an enemy now a close US Ally.

Centuries ago Perry with battleship guns, on behalf of the U.S. government, forced Japan to enter into trade with the United States

Long after WW2.

Japanese military’s role in “comfort women” system of sexual slavery has disappeared from the country's textbooks
https://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english … 03348.html

The complex issue of Korea, it dates back before WW2 and before WW1 and even older.

Long before WW1 Mongolians attempted to arrive on Japanese shores, many years later he Japanese invasions of Korea, commonly known as the Imjin War most of Japan's wars are feudal and internal civil conflicts a new Empire rising from within wanting to take over an old Empire.

Before WW1 the USA had limited influence in Korea, the last dynastic kingdom of Korea, a 500 Year Kingdom dies and replaced by the Korean Empire in October 1897. From the US they seen a Philippine Revolution and the Spanish–American War, the British had control of HongKong, France was in Indo-China, there was a Chinese Opium War, a Boxer Rebellion in China and in the East a growing industrial Japan was ready for a fight with the Russians, the old Empires were going to change. The lost Korea Kingdom a memory, it existed but no longer unified country is part of both North Korean and South Korean identity, an Empire arrives a religious cultural mix of Confucianism, Buddhism, Shamanism, Taoism, Christianity, Cheondoism. There is Namdaemun (남대or the Battle of the South Great Gate, an insurgency by the Korean army against Japanese forces in Korea as a reaction to the disbandment of the Korean army following the Japan–Korea Treaty of 1907. The Korea Empire still stands for a time until Japan's annexation of Korea in 1910.  Perhaps British already acquiesced to the annexation of Korea by Japan, via the British connection to Imperial Japan via the Anglo-Japanese Alliance of 1902; and the USA looks to the annexation, as per the Taft-Katsura Agreement. In recent years Korean and Japanese progressive Christian groups gathered in Tokyo's Korean YMCA chapter and jointly declared that the Japan–Korea Annexation Treaty was unjustified. http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/internation … 00073.HTML an attempt was made to ban the Korean culture and wipe out the Korean language. The Koreans are then ruled by an expanding Japan until the end of WW2. Korean culture is almost replaced by Japanese culture the efforts of Terauchi try to transform Korea into a Japanese culture then in 1918, Terauchi resigned his office, due to the rice riots that had spread throughout Japan due to inflation. Post WW2 Japanese foreign affairs minister Mamoru Shigemitsu signed the Japanese Instrument of Surrender aboard the USS Missouri ,  after the War more fighting this time a war between North Korea and South Korea, Western Democratic Capitalism values vs Communism and a Korea split in half by the 38th parallel. 

Soviet Union–United States relations were not always good part of the 'Cold War' relations the succeeding after the Russian Empire and the United States, which lasted from 1776 until 1917, after the break up of the USSR the United States officially recognized the independence of Ukraine 1991.  When Vladimir Putin became President of Russia in 2000, he initially sought to improve relations with the United States, relations got better after 911, there was international good will from other nations and cooperation fighting a 'War on Terror'. After the Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2022 relations reached the lowest point since the Cuban Missile Crisis, larger Western sanctions imposed since 2014 have been significantly expanded by the U.S. and its allies, Iran and Russia are showing up in Latin America.

a post WW2 Germany was under occupation by the USA, British, French and Soviets, the Germans went through trials and some doing a ritual of confessing and asking Christian forgiveness for sins and crimes, Japan had something but it was not on the same level and leaving behind Japanese history textbook controversies, some ultranationalists in the past would like tell the story of Japan as the victim of WW2 almost minding its own business until America came along with Two Atomic Bombs,  a Japanese politician and writer who was Governor of Tokyo from 1999 to 2012.

Martial Law and not a full Dictatorship but south Korea becomes democratic, South Korean politician and army general seizing power in the coup of 1961, 'Park Chung Hee' he was then elected as the third President of South Korea in 1963. He ruled the country until his assassination in 1979. The current Sixth Korean Republic began with the last major constitutional revision that took effect in 1988, Democracy ranks in PDF.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230209064 … report.pdf
Economist Intelligence Unit rated South Korea a "full democracy" in 2022

'Frontline democracy and the battle for Ukraine'
https://web.archive.org/web/20230209064 … report.pdf

South Korea  a top destination of U.S. military hardware, with a recent deal in August 2019 for Seahawk helicopters topping 800 million dollars.
https://www.defensenews.com/global/asia … licopters/

An article from Japan. There was more to Shintaro Ishihara than met the eye
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/20 … -ishihara/
'Though portrayed as a villain by some foreign press, the man I came to know was very complex'

South Koreans maintain a Korean cultural education centers in: Wheeling, Illinois near Chicago, Houston, New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Washington, DC
https://web.archive.org/web/20200920194 … &s=english

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-08-08 08:14:33)

#12 2023-10-07 07:16:42

Mars_B4_Moon

It would have been difficult for people of these times to see ahead, before WW1 who would have thought Eugene Burton Ely's first experimental take-off of a Curtiss Pusher airplane from the deck of a United States Navy ship would be a huge part of future warfare. Getting Hawaii, an overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom was probably a big change but the true importance unknown at the time, an inconclusive war in Samoa United States and German Empire may have been a sign of things to come, after WW1 the War to End all Wars another fight Posey War might have been a distraction as another war loomed, a policy of non-interventionism might have saved many lives while others paid in blood.

'Moral Diplomacy' or Dollars.

Were President Taft's ideas for Dollar Diplomacy a true Failure, was there any way it could have worked?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjzrln2GM6w
After WW1 Presidents Warren G. Harding, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover.
You might argue America is still doing 'Dollar Diplomacy'

Today, the USA is less 'polite' with itself?

Some things to notice from only a few years ago, debates respectful, more more civil, even in eras of Neo-Conservatism vs Liberal Internationalism.

President Obama is in fact wrong by playing down Russian ambitions so much but he perhaps debates better and wins a political point mocks Mitt Romney being too worried about Russia expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1409sXBleg

So where is it today, Trump arrests a mugshot and a Hillary Clinton calls for a weird Stare at Goats MK-Ultra type Clockwork Orange Blade Runner style "reprogramming" of Republican supporters.

Hillary Clinton just called for ‘formal deprogramming’ of MAGA cult members on national TV
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/10/06 … v-1401963/

interviewed by the British-Iranian journalist and television host Amanpour

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-10-07 07:45:28)

Board footer