New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-05-15 17:48:15

louis

Least reported, most important...

To date, Musk's mission to Mars looks like being one of the least reported but most important events of all time.

Not to say that Musk's occasional conference announcements don't get reported - they do...

But actual reporting on what is going on, informed and consistent reporting  - the sort of reporting we get on the World Cup or the Superbowl - is virtually non-existent.

Probably the most important event in human history since the invention of the plough is going to be covered about as much as Columbus's first voyage to the Americas.

I think things will change once Space X can put together a convincing test mission, but I am just amazed at the laziness of the MSM and even science-orientated publications/websites.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2018-05-16 03:27:21

elderflower

Re: Least reported, most important...

The press tries to print whatever sells newspapers, gains advertising contracts, avoids too many lawsuits and serves the incumbent baron's goals. When there is a bit of a shortage of material fulfilling these aims they regurgitate old stuff or just make something up! Items that don't fulfil these criteria are suppressed. They don't want to inform or explain, an ignorant and uncritical readership is more easily manipulated. The rest of the media follow suite, they have to compete. What do you expect?

#3 2018-05-16 04:15:07

louis

I've noticed on the BBC website that a new Mars story often gets in the top ten and that's without any special PR effort. People are definitely interested.

elderflower wrote:

The press tries to print whatever sells newspapers, gains advertising contracts, avoids too many lawsuits and serves the incumbent baron's goals. When there is a bit of a shortage of material fulfilling these aims they regurgitate old stuff or just make something up! Items that don't fulfil these criteria are suppressed. They don't want to inform or explain, an ignorant and uncritical readership is more easily manipulated. The rest of the media follow suite, they have to compete. What do you expect?

#4 2018-05-16 18:11:28

kbd512
Administrator

The bottom feeders in lamestream media aren't very intelligent, although they sure like to pretend they are, much like our Hollyweird actors and actresses.  Nobody is being raped, robbed, murdered, giving a differing opinion, or hurling their feces at President Trump, so they aren't interested.

#5 2018-05-16 18:21:24

louis

smile

kbd512 wrote:

The bottom feeders in lamestream media aren't very intelligent, although they sure like to pretend they are, much like our Hollyweird actors and actresses.  Nobody is being raped, robbed, murdered, giving a differing opinion, or hurling their feces at President Trump, so they aren't interested.

#6 2018-05-16 20:44:46

Void

Was going to put this elsewhere, but this seems OK.

Gwynne Shotwell: (Hope this is not out of date for you).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sp … &FORM=VIRE

I like to study Elon Musk and Gwynne Shotwell, because I have gotten several modifications that apply to the SpaceX agenda as currently stated.

I also like to speak on the positive side of things.  Too much negative lately.

Things I got from the video:
1) They are going to continue with Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy, until BFR/BFS is so well accepted by the consumers, that they can switch to BFR/BFS.
2) They do intend to use BFR/BFS to launch the satellites for their broadband system.  They also intend to make available the launching of much larger satellites such as telescopes that the BFS could host to orbit.
3) They are not allowed to leave the 2nd stage of Falcon 9 in orbit.  So that explains why they might as well try to recover it to recover 30%??? of the cost of a Falcon 9 launch.
4) BFR will land on the pad it launched from instead of landing on a barge.
5) They intend to build even bigger BFR/BFS's in the future, than the one they build first.

From Elon Musk and Gwynne Shotwell:

https://electrek.co/2018/05/16/elon-mus … ex-rocket/

Seems they will do Hyperloop to bring passengers to the BFS, instead of ships.  (I never much liked the ship idea).

This is something I really like about the SpaceX people.  They do updates periodically and are not shy about it.  I am fine with that.  That is a good process.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2018-05-16 20:54:44)

Done.

Board footer