New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-03-25 16:21:20

louis

Ryan MacDonald's latest vid

His latest vid surveying the new era of super-heavy lift rockets.  Nothing too new here, but I wasn't aware of Putin approving the Russian super-heavy lift rocket development (for launch in 2028).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwiBpXzjW0Y

It must be said that Space X seem to have a much more compressed development timeline than everyone else - even Blue Origin.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2018-03-25 18:25:14

Oldfart1939

Re: Ryan MacDonald's latest vid

Louis-

I believe that Musk is very focused on his Mars planning. He's building a rocket to go there, unlike NASA's rocket to nowhere.

#3 2018-03-25 18:30:22

louis

I guess they'll keep building it (too many fingers in too many pies)  but whether it is ever used once or twice has got to be in doubt.

Oldfart1939 wrote:

Louis-

I believe that Musk is very focused on his Mars planning. He's building a rocket to go there, unlike NASA's rocket to nowhere.

#4 2018-03-25 18:40:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

I do think that Musk will use the steps of going to 10 m diameter, then to a heavy of that version before going for the giant BFR and with each there will be changes to fuels and reuse as that bar gets higher with each level of tonnage that we can achieve.

Tonnage of fuels are different than that of people or cargo to which getting larger and larger diameters make for what we will want for mars.

#5 2018-04-26 14:54:27

marilynjames
Banned

Who knows what he wants to do? Musk can surprise everyone with his new ideas. So we just need to wait

[color=#990000]Our future is in the space! I believe in [/color][url=https://accainsurancedeals.com/]it[/url]

#6 2018-04-26 16:23:21

louis

He's told us lots about what he wants to do. So, we can discuss what he says he's going to do. No need to wait.

marilynjames wrote:

Who knows what he wants to do? Musk can surprise everyone with his new ideas. So we just need to wait

#7 2018-04-26 18:02:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think that Space x has been learning alot with trying to man rate a dragon or sorts just for the ISS use but going to that next step that lasts months may prove difficult without raiding the technology pot of Nasa with some cash....Life support and more is not all that easy when dealing with a lot more than just a few people on a short use scheduel.

#8 2018-05-01 14:33:43

kbd512
Administrator

BFS won't take humans to Mars without CAMRAS and IWP aboard.  The efficiency and reliability of the life support systems is a major design consideration when the vehicle in question will see use for months to years at a time.  The older systems are too unreliable / heavy / inefficient.

Oldfart1939,

If it were up to me, I'd mandate that NASA purchase launch services from private companies.  Remaining funding would be poured into life support, communications, navigation, 3D printing, ISRU, and ISPP.  Rocket science is no longer science, it's just engineering.  Get the best company that provides those products and services at the best prices.  NASA needs to provide the secret sauces for space exploration, which would be advanced life support, communications, navigation, in-space propulsion, radiation protection, artificial gravity, and other specialized tech that no company would create because it's all speculative technology.  NASA needs to emulate BASF's old motto: "We don't make technology, we make technology better."

#9 2018-05-01 21:09:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

The trouble is that Nasa would design with diamonds and gold, just to make it from unobtainium as they do not want anyone else to be able to make the items.
You are better off to take current tech and reverse engineer it to understand its short falls. Target the makers of the tech that nasa was using back to itr parent companies under contract and make the purchase for such items to work forward with.

Board footer