New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#126 2018-04-24 03:43:35

louis

Re: SpaceX Falcon 9R launch

Evidence of impressive recovery  by Space X:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38aFKc7Y3EY

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#127 2018-04-24 09:41:56

Oldfart1939

Louis-
In response to your post # 125: I really don't think NASA is lazy, but awfully TIMID. They have the blood of 3 crews of astronauts on their hands, and aren't anxious to repeat some of the past mistakes (of judgment?). OK, that said, they need to get out of the business of designing rockets and focus on things like crew survival in hostile environments, health maintenance, scientific experiments for the crews to undertake. But mainly distribute some of that recent $20 billion to companies capable of doing great things. ULA is still conceptually stuck in 1970, as are the components, LockMart and Boeing. I'd also throw Orbital ATK Northrup Grumman onto that heap as well.

#128 2018-04-24 11:33:01

louis

Yes, I meant lazy as in "lazy thinking" rather than lying about playing computer games on the sofa! smile Could have expressed that better. I am sure most people at NASA are working hard on the projects they are focussed on.  It's the priorities that are wrong.

It's amazing what progress companies like Space X, Blue Origin and Rocket Lab have been able to make compared to the old dinosaurs.

The one I am slightly disappointed with is Bigelow - they seemed to promise great things, but I haven't heard much from them recently.

Oldfart1939 wrote:

Louis-
In response to your post # 125: I really don't think NASA is lazy, but awfully TIMID. They have the blood of 3 crews of astronauts on their hands, and aren't anxious to repeat some of the past mistakes (of judgment?). OK, that said, they need to get out of the business of designing rockets and focus on things like crew survival in hostile environments, health maintenance, scientific experiments for the crews to undertake. But mainly distribute some of that recent $20 billion to companies capable of doing great things. ULA is still conceptually stuck in 1970, as are the components, LockMart and Boeing. I'd also throw Orbital ATK Northrup Grumman onto that heap as well.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#129 2018-04-24 20:14:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

By being spread out across the country they could be duplicating efforts making changes to what was working in one location and making changes that are no aurthorized to be done.
If that is occuring no wonder Nasa can not get it done anymore as they are not working in a leanmanner and need to get back to basics.

Board footer