New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-03-19 09:52:38

EdwardHeisler

A name for the BFR. How about calling it the Hawking or the Sagan?

Other ideas please.

#2 2018-03-19 11:11:52

louis

Re: A name for the BFR. How about calling it the Hawking or the Sagan?

I certainly think Sagan should be honoured somehow. I think Sagan City sounds quite good for the first habitat on Mars.

For the rocket itself?  I suppose Von Braun would be the obvious candidate...but that's never going to fly given his record on WW2 slave labour.

Why not the Aldrin? Buzz has kept the flag flying for off Earth human exploration during some of the darkest days.  Aldrin One sounds good to me.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#3 2018-03-19 12:20:43

kbd512
Administrator

How about naming it after its lead engineer, who has most likely spent every waking hour for years, missing holidays / birthdays / etc, just to see it fly?

#4 2018-03-19 17:21:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Each name could be used for the first cargo ships to mars. Or we could call it for any other astronauts that have paid the price of america's space programs start.

Board footer