New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-02-24 15:50:15

Palomar

Re: Stephen Hawking hospitalized

[=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1542&ncid=1542&e=1&u=/afp/20040224/en_afp/health_britain_hawking]Read Me

*Wow, he's 62 years old?!  I thought he was still only in his 50s.

What's this about allegations his wife is abusing him?  He's denying it.

"Despite his illness and his need to speak through an electronic voice box, Hawking has continued to tour the world, giving science lectures."

You go, Stephen! 

--Cindy (a fan with rocks in her head when it comes to your gig)

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-02-25 10:06:21

dicktice

Sephen Hawking must be a real trial to "live with," but (so I've read) was Albert Einstein. A demonstrated international theoretical science resource such as Hawking shouldn't be be at the mercy of any individual, even his wife, in my opinion. This is not chauvinism on my part, because I feel the same about the fate of the Hubble Space Telescope being at the mercy the director of NASA and/or Bush & Co. Human civilization needs 'em both while they last!

#3 2004-02-26 03:53:30

GraemeSkinner
Website

[http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … in_hawking]Read Me
*Wow, he's 62 years old?!  I thought he was still only in his 50s.
What's this about allegations his wife is abusing him?  He's denying it.
"Despite his illness and his need to speak through an electronic voice box, Hawking has continued to tour the world, giving science lectures."
You go, Stephen!

Stephen should be an inspiration for everyone, when his condition was first diagnosed 40 years ago he could have just curled up in a ball and faded away. But instead he a shown himself to have one of the best minds you could imagine.
I remember when "a brief history of time" first appeared on the book shelves and reading it - it was and still is a inspiration and something that gave me a kick into studying physics properly. Shortly after the book came out I recall watching a mini biography on him, after watching that I honestly don't think I would have had the strength of mind to overcome the obstacles put in his way.
Lets hope he recovers and carries on his lecturing.

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#4 2004-04-05 04:56:41

alokmohan

Who is abusing him and how.Can you tell?

#5 2018-03-14 14:24:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Artifacts and shifting fixed...

It comes with sad news that British scientist Stephen Hawking dead at age 76 Who is said to have who unlocked the secrets of space and time.

2018-03-14T101418Z_1_LYNXNPEE2D0SN-OCATP_RTROPTP_2_CNEWS-US-PEOPLE-HAWKING-OBIT.JPG.cf.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

Stephen Hawking, who sought to explain the origins of the universe, the mysteries of black holes and the nature of time itself. Hawking's formidable mind probed the very limits of human understanding both in the vastness of space and in the bizarre sub-molecular world of quantum theory.

#6 2018-03-15 08:09:51

elderflower

R I P Professor Hawking

Board footer