New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1401 2018-03-11 13:31:16

Terraformer
Website

Re: Politics

Well, the row (?) isn't about President Trump being a white supremacist, but about what is considered acceptable discourse on this forum. I'm asking whether claiming there is a plot to rig society in favour of whites is acceptable (which is apparently acceptable in the general discourse), whilst claiming other groups, such as Jews, are doing so is not.

Oddly enough, Jews seem to be disproportionately represented among the media establishment, and so do gay people. Yet it's considered okay on the mainstream right to talk about the gay lobby, but alleging there is a Jewish lobby is censured. I don't get it myself. *Of course* people are going to advocate in favour of their own interests, but I think people see conspiracies where there aren't any.

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#1402 2018-03-11 19:42:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

American car going to China pays 25% import duty, but a Chinese car coming to the US only pays 2.5%, a tenfold difference, Tesla CEO Elon Musk sent out a series of provocative tweets about China's trade policies – and immediately got a response from President Trump as he rolled out new tariffs.

Elon posted that

no 'US auto company is allowed to own even 50% of their own factory in China, but there are five 100% China-owned EV auto companies in the US.' China government forces U.S. firms to partner with local manufacturers there.
'We’re going to be doing a reciprocal tax at some point ... It’s a mirror tax,' said Trump, explaining that the tax would try to replicate the taxes other nations put on U.S. products.

So what is the federal and state taxation on these companies that are in america? Is that why the import tax was so low?

#1404 2018-03-12 00:36:35

kbd512

SpaceNut,

Inadvisable trade deals that put the US at a competitive disadvantage have no winners over here in the US, either.  NAFTA and TPP are both examples of trade deals that are intended to suck wealth out of the US and redistribute it to the rest of the world.  The taxation deals are intended to provide advantages to mega corporations that have overseas operations where they can use their overseas assets and operations as tax shelters to avoid paying taxes.  President Trump spoke of this in the past, but everyone in your camp was too busy criticizing him to listen when he said that corporations need to pay their "fair share" of taxes, which would be the taxes they'd have to pay by law if they hadn't lobbied to get a tax loophole carved out for them.

I really wish the general public understood how large corporations operate.  I don't have time to explain all the taxation idiosyncrasies, but it's byzantine and does not benefit all corporations equally.  Do some reading.

#1405 2018-03-12 19:36:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Taxation without representation is one of the core reasons that the US was formed....
Corporate taxation was reduced in this latest tax cuts followed by raising of tarriffs which means that the companies are still passing the buck to the consumers and not paying.

The US posts biggest budget deficit since 2012 as tax income falls which further shows that we can not afford doing business this way as changed either.

The data underscore concerns by some economists that Republican tax cuts enacted this year could increase the U.S. government debt load, which has surpassed $20 trillion. A combination of higher income tax refunds and a drop in the withholding of individual income and payroll taxes led to the reduction in receipts, according to an analysis by the Congressional Budget Office released last week.

This Trump fan would like to 'buy American.' So why doesn't he?

“It’s really confusing, tough to understand,” said Scheurich, president of CNC Machine Products, a manufacturer of bearing components.

For Scheurich, the perplexing thing about Trump’s tariffs on imported steel is that, in the name of helping U.S. steelmakers, the president may be dooming some other American companies such as his. Though the president insists tariffs will force companies such as his to “buy American,” Scheurich confronts a more complex globalized reality.

“What people don’t understand about the steels I use is it doesn’t have anything to do with price. I’ve tried to find domestic sources,” he said. “ . . . I’m not importing it because of price. I’m importing it because of quality and [because] I can get it.”

Scheurich said he has to buy from foreign companies because decades of consolidation in the domestic steel industry have left few U.S. mills producing the high-quality steel he requires. The limited amount of American steel he can obtain too often has obvious flaws, he said.

The president’s 25 percent import tax will effectively cut Scheurich off from his steel suppliers and starve his business. CNC’s customers will buy their parts from manufacturers outside the United States rather than absorb his higher costs, he said.

Throw that corporate business book away as it does not work that way anymore.

#1406 2018-03-13 13:06:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

The quality of american products from the 80's -to 90's is just one of the reason why we stopped buying american while the other was the cost to buy the same quality product for less which caused the start of the inequity of trade. It is hard to change the minds of people when they know the difference is not worth the added cost.

Shuffling the players in the game again.... Trump ousts Tillerson, will replace him as secretary of state with CIA chief Pompeo

Tillerson Firing Tells U.S. Allies That Russia Comes First

John McEntee, longtime Trump aide, fired over security clearance issue

#1407 2018-03-13 17:30:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Tijuana residents laugh at border wall prototypes, call Trump 'loco' a waste of money and laughed at the idea the monolithic slabs will stop desperate immigrants.

slide show

30-foot (9 meter)-high concrete and steel models.
The commentators speak of the wall as a joke easily defeated not worth the money being spent .....

150304-zombie-invasion-arp-1200p_551431d5312a7a6706ea775048e26e89.nbcnews-fp-840-360.jpg

The only way to fend off a zombie attack....

#1408 2018-03-13 19:31:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

There is desent in the GOP about stopping the colusion investigation with witnesses yet to interview and questions left unanswered.Schiff blasts GOP over premature Russia probe shutdown but of course Democrats fuming after House GOP ends Russia probe not to unepected seeing the watered down report....

Manafort 'faces very real possibility' of life in prison, court order says

Kris Kobach Gets His Turn To Defend Kansas Proof Of Citizenship Law Expert Won't Support Claim That Trump Really Won The Popular Vote. It's Not Going Well. The birth certificates were not used for home births born in Arkansas. So just how many more states that are the same? With citizens that do not have birth certificates to prove that they are American are Trump's illegals that voted.

#1409 2018-03-13 21:02:48

kbd512

SpaceNut,

I've been required to provide my birth certificate, driver's license, and social security number at every job I've ever had.  If you're not legally permitted to work in the US, then how are you supposed to provide for yourself when you become an adult?

#1410 2018-03-13 21:43:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have only had to give a drivers license and some other proof on legal residence

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/accep … -documents

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/employm … n-document

http://www.dshs.texas.gov/vs/faq/birth.shtm

Unassisted home birth is not illegal in any state – and there are no laws protecting your right to have an unassisted birth, either. It's sort of in a “gray area” of the law.

http://www.mothering.com/forum/306-unas … icate.html

Getting a Birth Certificate for a Home Birth

U.S. STANDARD CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH form REV. 11/2003

#1411 2018-03-14 05:03:16

Terraformer
Website

Then I guess we'll have to make sure the wall has a sharp top. Or is spiky, like those anti-vandal spikes you can get.

Sure, they could put up a ladder on the Mexican side, but are  they planning to jump off a 30 foot wall to land in America?

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#1412 2018-03-14 15:05:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is pushing FBI director Chris Wray to oust two key officials who are privy to critical events in the Russia investigation and is said to be deciding whether or not to fire former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe based on his handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server..

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said on Wednesday he would oppose President Trump's nominations of CIA Director Mike Pompeo to be secretary of State and CIA Deputy Director Gina Haspel to lead the spy agency.

Assuming every Republican senator but Paul supports Pompeo, as they did for his current CIA post, and every Democrat opposes, Senate would split 50-50.

The absence of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who is undergoing treatment for brain cancer and hasn't voted in months, could further complicate Pompeo's nomination.

If McCain doesn't return and Paul votes no, that would leave Republicans short, at a 49-50 vote, forcing them to win over Democratic support.

Larry Kudlow on Wednesday accepted an offer from President Trump to head the White House’s National Economic Council, Lawrence Alan "Larry" Kudlow is an American conservative commentator, economic analyst, television personality, and newspaper columnist.
Not credible for the position.....

The White House is trying to distance itself from a poor showing by the Republican candidate in the Pennsylvania's special election Tuesday night. President Donald Trump campaigned for state Rep. Rick Saccone in a weekend rally outside of Pittsburgh and the GOP spent millions on the race to prevent an embarrassing defeat in a district Trump won handily.

Republicans are not conceding and not ruling out pursuing a recount or other legal action in a special U.S. House of Representatives election in Pennsylvania in which Democrat Conor Lamb is leading Republican Rick Saccone by a thin margin, a Republican Party spokesman said on Wednesday.

House Republicans are deflecting the stinging results in Pennsylvania’s 18th Congressional District, discounting Conor Lamb’s strong performance as an aberration and not a bellwether heading into this fall’s congressional midterms.

#1413 2018-03-14 17:38:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

Republicans’ touted the school safety grants and background check reporting measures as a sign of their party’s interest in stopping gun violence on the same day that students from across the country organized a walk-out to call attention to the topic.

Local students gathered on the West Front of the Capitol with Democratic lawmakers to demand Congress do more to prevent gun violence, like passing a more comprehensive background checks measure that would ensure people purchasing firearms online or at gun shows are subject to the same review as those purchasing in stores.

#1414 2018-03-14 17:46:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

Britain’s tough response in holding Russia responsible for a poisoning attack on its soil was to expelled 23 Russian diplomats and vowed to crack down on Russian spies, corrupt elites and ill-gotten wealth in Britain.
Trump, Pressured to Criticize Russia for Poisoning, Leaves Comment to Aides

The pattern resembles the way Mr. Trump has responded to the consensus finding of American intelligence agencies that Russia interfered in the 2016 elections. He has allowed top advisers to condemn Moscow for its election meddling but personally has used equivocal language in saying he accepts the conclusion — and generally expresses no outrage or criticism of Mr. Putin.

Again missing the point.....

More than six in 10 Americans are at least somewhat concerned about potential Russian interference in the 2018 elections.  Poll: Most Americans concerned about Russian interference in midterm elections

#1415 2018-03-14 20:37:23

kbd512

SpaceNut,

You guys are like a broken record.  Seriously.  You're not fooling anyone else except yourselves.  Russians didn't get President Trump elected.  Americans elected President Trump.  I wouldn't have voted for Hillary Clinton if she was the only candidate running for office.  I'm sure that's what the liberals prefer so they can force their agenda on everyone else, but some of the rest of us think their agenda is a steaming pile of bovine excrement.  Apart from upsetting liberals who can't come to terms with the fact that their candidate lost because she wasn't a very good candidate, the rest of us accept the fact that the Russians attempted to do in our elections what we attempt to do in everyone else's elections.  You can thank your State Department and CIA for continually messing with everyone else to the point that they feel the need to start messing with us.  That same agitation of continually being poked with a stick is what lead to Donald Trump becoming President Trump.  Stop poking everyone else with a stick.  Stop agitating for changes that the rest of us don't want.  If you wanna call boys girls and girls boys in California, be my guest.  Stop trying to pedal that nonsense here in Texas.  I could care less what anyone else chooses to do in the free time, but I don't need to indulge them in their fantasies.  In short, keep that liberal nonsense on the east and west coast where it belongs and there won't be any more Trumps.  Otherwise, prepare yourself for more of the same.

#1416 2018-03-15 10:15:15

Terraformer
Website

SpaceNut wrote:

Larry Kudlow on Wednesday accepted an offer from President Trump to head the White House’s National Economic Council, Lawrence Alan "Larry" Kudlow is an American conservative commentator, economic analyst, television personality, and newspaper columnist.
Not credible for the position.....

If he isn't credible, then who is? You'd hope an economist would be suitable, but according to you, they aren't.

#1417 2018-03-15 19:23:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

#1418 2018-03-18 13:44:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

kbd512 wrote:

If you wanna call boys girls and girls boys in California, be my guest.  Stop trying to pedal that nonsense here in Texas.  I could care less what anyone else chooses to do in the free time, but I don't need to indulge them in their fantasies.  In short, keep that liberal nonsense on the east and west coast where it belongs and there won't be any more Trumps.

Thats not what it is but it is how peoples brain and being can be wired.
'Dear Mommy, I am so sorry to do this but I have killed myself.' A transitioning teen's tale

#1419 2018-03-18 14:21:48

Void

Hermaphrodites are relatively rare.  Nature sees to that.

In my opinion it is obvious that nature more favors two genders defined in a manner that can procreate.

Perhaps not so with worms, but go to any "Higher" life form, then most of the time gender distinction exists, and typically with the apparent intention of efficient procreation.

I would not do anything to make the life of a human hermaphrodite miserable, unless there was a necessary reason, for the sake of the whole society.  I think they can be accommodated, their are so few of them.

As for "Tom Boys".  These are girls who are exposed to male hormones during pregnancy.  They more like to play with boy toys, more so than "Girly Girls".  I would have no problem letting them having a different pathway, perhaps a somewhat more boy like pathway.  Maybe more technological in a boy way.  But some of them are still capable of being mothers and wives, so let that be.

So, perhaps that is the extent of the "Nature".  Maybe there is more, but we might learn or comment on that later.

Nurture, proper and vs a subtle genocide.

I have taken a great deal of trouble to investigate these things.

The fall of civilizations appears to have a typical pattern.

I do not want to draw "Spengler" into my thoughts, and he is in no way implicated in what else I might propose beyond him.

But he makes a case for the typical process of the disowning a "God" (That is a power higher than yourself), and the attitudes of society toward procreation.

The Roman and Greek cultures fell to this apparently, and it may be that some of our old world partners will as well.

You know I am not going to give the consideration.  Spacenut is a rude person.  Jerk!

Last edited by Void (2018-03-18 14:38:52)

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#1420 2018-03-18 14:36:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

President Trump fired off angry tweets Sunday morning that railed against Mueller's investigation and questioned the validity of McCabe's memo claims. The firing was followed by reports that McCabe kept personal memos detailing interactions with the president. The memos reportedly have been provided to the office of the special counsel conducting the Russia investigation and are similar to the notes compiled by Comey. President Trump responded Sunday to reports that fired FBI official Andrew McCabe took notes of their conversations, saying he never saw McCabe write down messages and suggesting the purported notes be called “fake memos,” like those purportedly taken by “lying James Comey” -- the FBI director fired by Trump. The memos could factor into Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation as his team examines Trump campaign ties to Russia and possible obstruction of justice.

Papadopoulos, who pleaded guilty in October to lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation about his Russia contacts, is now cooperating with Mueller. Papadopoulos continued to pursue Russian contacts after the March 2016 meeting and communicated with some campaign officials about his efforts, according to the court documents. U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions' testimony that he opposed a proposal for President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign team to meet with Russians has been contradicted by three people who told Reuters they have spoken about the matter to investigators with Special Counsel Robert Mueller or congressional committees.

President Donald Trump on Sunday took out his frustrations over the intensifying Russia investigation by lashing out at special counsel Robert Mueller, signaling a possible shift away from a strategy of cooperating with a probe he believes is biased against him. Trump's attacks raised new concerns among members of Congress that he could be seeking to orchestrate Mueller's firing. This president is engaged in desperate and reckless conduct to intimidate his law enforcement agencies of this country to try and stop the special counsel.

#1421 2018-03-18 14:37:10

Void

Hey, thanks for the consideration Spacenut.  Not!

Last edited by Void (2018-03-18 14:37:38)

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#1422 2018-03-18 15:18:28

IanM

With respect to transgendered people one must take into account the difference between sex (i.e., the biological part of maleness/femaleness) and gender (i.e., the psychological part of masculinity/femininity). For most people these things correlate (these people are known as "cisgendered"), but for some people they don't, and a biological man may genuinely feel like he's a woman, and vice versa. This feeling is known as "gender dysphoria". Note that this is psychological rather than sociological; being a man and enjoying something that society happens to consider feminine (such as wearing dresses, for example) does not make him experience gender dysphoria or be transgendered (in the dress example, it makes him a transvestite), only genuinely feeling like one is a member of the opposite sex counts as gender dysphoria. Contrary to popular belief, being transgender is NOT in of itself a mental disorder. Gender dysphoria is a mental disorder, and transitioning (either socially or physically via hormone therapy) is the treatment.

This is to the best of my knowledge, and if I'm wrong about anything please let me know.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. -Paraphrased from Tsiolkovsky

#1423 2018-03-18 15:26:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fyi screens are not refreshed while writing posts, only after posting that said just read you post.
Also I have a niece that was gender reassigned and know of others which have also done the same.  So explain why, we can have chromosones that are xyy or xxy when all we should have are xy yx xx and yy for a pairing possible combinations thou natural selection?

#1424 2018-03-18 15:38:08

Void

OK, consideration for you.  Yes, if the nature messes up, then we have to give consideration to the inherited from the universe situation for those individuals.  No need to be cruel.  More that we should be concerned and considerate for them.

But we are under assult from various concerns on the notion of nurture.  You did me a favor by interrupting.  I thank you.  What I was about to say would have been very dangerous.

So thank you.  Good deed even if unintentional.  Mums the word.

#1425 2018-03-18 15:51:09

IanM

SpaceNut wrote:

So explain why, we can have chromosones that are xyy or xxy when all we should have are xy yx xx and yy for a pairing possible combinations thou natural selection?

Everyone has at least one X chromosome since the X chromosome codes for non-sexual stuff unlike the Y chromosome which does nothing but code for maleness. So YY is non-viable, leaving XX (women) and XY/YX (men) as the viable normal combinations. The others are chromosomal flaws much like Trisomy 21/Down Syndrome is, which depending on the syndrome either happen de novo in the child or are produced by a flaw in meiosis of one of the parents.

In any case none of them are directly related to gender identity and dysphoria, which depends on a whole variety of factors which may or may not entirely relate to biological sex.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. -Paraphrased from Tsiolkovsky

Board footer