New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-03-13 18:38:57

EdwardHeisler

Trump Proposes U.S. ‘Space Force’ to Guard the Galaxy

Trump Proposes U.S. ‘Space Force’ to Guard the Galaxy
March 13, 2018
Daily Beast

President Donald Trump said Tuesday he wants to create a U.S. “Space Force” during a speech before service members at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego. "My new national strategy for space recognizes that space is a war-fighting domain, just like the land air and sea. We may even have a Space Force," Trump said. "We're doing a tremendous amount of work in space, and I said, maybe we need a new force. We'll call it the Space Force." Trump was most likely referring to the National Defense Authorization Act, which was signed into law on December 12th and stipulates that the defense secretary "establish in the executive part of the Department of the Air Force a Space Corps." Back in July, senior Air Force officials told CNN that the corps was an “unnecessary change in the force's existing space efforts.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-pro … the-galaxy

This is a major step towards a militarization of the governments space exploration program.    Hundreds of billions will be spent for outer space "warriors" amidst declining peanuts for scientific space exploration and NASA.

So what happens if China, Russia and India respond in kind?   I think we all know the inevitable result of any "space war" between major powers.   It would mean a rapid escalation to total war, the nuclear kind.   Trump like some of his worst nutcase followers think the United States would win World War III just as the US would "easily" win a trade war against the rest of the world. 

We must reject such reactionary and regressive perspectives and embrace the peaceful and scientific exploration of our solar system and beyond.

Trumpy and his cult like knuckelheads probably believe his Space Force will stop a new "bigley" invasion of illegal aliens from other star systems in light of recently disclosed Air Force encounters with UFO's.     Yikes!

03172018-Meet-Greet-to-Knuckleheads-in-Rockmart.jpg

Last edited by EdwardHeisler (2018-03-13 19:04:30)

#2 2018-03-13 19:11:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Trump Proposes U.S. ‘Space Force’ to Guard the Galaxy

posted about this in The control of the high ground Most of the article talks about military build up....

#3 2018-03-13 21:05:35

EdwardHeisler

OK   Its actually in the high ground control to space article.

I'll not be attending the meetup at the knucklehead café.   Oh darn.   LOL

Last edited by EdwardHeisler (2018-03-13 21:07:07)

#4 2018-03-14 05:00:24

Terraformer
Website

d embrace the peaceful and scientific exploration of our solar system and beyond.

We've been doing that since the end of Apollo. How's that worked out? I'm willing to accept military bases on Luna and Mars, if it's the only way we'll actually get people out there.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#5 2018-03-14 14:07:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

The research vehicle x-37 is a step towards the military quick to orbit response and staying power but its not man capable or flight menueverable in the sense that it can go anywhere plus has no armorment as that would break space treaties.
If we must have a military style police force in orbit it will need to be a unified presence for all.

#6 2018-03-14 15:52:55

EdwardHeisler

Terraformer wrote:

d embrace the peaceful and scientific exploration of our solar system and beyond.

We've been doing that since the end of Apollo. How's that worked out? I'm willing to accept military bases on Luna and Mars, if it's the only way we'll actually get people out there.

Our exploration of our solar system has gone very well since the end of Apollo.   Have you heard of the Hubble Space Telescope?   And we and other nations have sent numerous space probes to investigate all of the planets of our solar system.   The Mars rovers and other Mars missions have provided us with an enormous amount of information on the Red Planet.    In the next decade we'll send our first human explorers to Mars with or without NASA.   So outside of not yet sending humans to Mars the peaceful and scientific exploration of our solar system has gone really well.   I really don't know how you missed that.

So you want military bases on Mars and the Moon.   Is it safe to assume you only want U.S. military bases and not "foreign" ones on the Moon and Mars?   Wonderful.   So the U.S. should plant a flag on Mars, declare Mars to be part of new U.S. imperial colonial empire and threaten to destroy any attempts by other nations or capitalists to explore Mars.   How progressive and spacey!

Perhaps Elon Musk should have placed an Abrams tank with a Darth Vadar Trumpy dummy on the Falcon Heavy rather than a Tesla roadster.    That would have been so uplifting and inspiring!

darth-donny.jpg?ssl=1

Last edited by EdwardHeisler (2018-03-14 15:56:15)

#7 2018-03-14 16:19:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

I do enjoy the artwork....

National Defense Authorization Act is a United States federal law specifying the budget and expenditures of the United States Department of Defense. Each year's act also includes other provisions. The U.S. Congress oversees the defense budget primarily through two yearly bills: the National Defense Authorization Act and defense appropriations bills.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ … zation_Act

605 pages of fiscal year 2018

#8 2018-03-14 17:18:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/ … 10/summary

STARSHIP-TROOPERS-TRAITOR-OF-MARS.jpg

The 2018 National Defense Authorization Act originally called for establishing a Space Corps under the Air Force, and also a United States Space Command under USStratcom.

Congressmen Mike Rogers and Jim Cooper, have argued that it's needed to counter Russia's and China's aim to develop weaponry that could destroy or jam US satellites.

Trump wants to create the first US military branch to fight in space — here's what the 'Space Force' could look like

Air Force leaders dodge questions on Trump's 'Space Force'

Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson opened her testimony before the House Appropriations Committee today by touting the Air Force's efforts in space, a top priority for the service in the fiscal year 2019 budget.

The Air Force has its own Space Command, which is responsible for overseeing the numerous GPS, communications, and surveillance satellites the military has in orbit. The military also operates spacecraft that can give early warnings about missile launches on the ground.

Hopefully this will end up being like the Starship Trooper...

131623471240_1.jpg

#9 2018-03-14 19:01:57

IanM
Banned

This whole idea is quite silly, but fortunately I doubt it would go any further than many other space plans since Apollo.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. -Paraphrased from Tsiolkovsky

#10 2018-03-14 20:55:16

RobertDyck
Website

Almaz 2 was a Soviet space station 1966-1970. It had a recoilless cannon; Astronautix says it was either a 23mm Nudelmann aircraft cannon or Nudelmann NR-30 30mm gun, and space-to-space missiles. All for defence in case attack by an armed Apollo. They also designed a Soyuz IV with the same cannon. Do we really want to return to that? If you start an arms race, your opponent will respond.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-03-14 22:05:33)

#11 2018-03-14 21:11:37

kbd512
Administrator

Rob,

Alternatively, we could simply make them believe we're starting an arms race in space again while doing nothing of the sort, and then let them spend themselves into oblivion trying to build things that are beyond their technical capabilities.  After they fall for that again, then we'll get to feed them again so they don't starve to death.  It's not a brilliant plan, but it's also worked before.  Russians are eager to believe that the Americans are "coming for them" like the Nazis.  We also have some not-so-bright people over here who are similarly worried about a country with an economy half that of California.  I find it comical that people the world over keep falling for this nonsense, but the arms merchants keep laughing all the way to the bank.

#12 2018-03-15 07:32:28

EdwardHeisler

Hopefully not a single "Starship Trooper" will make it beyond low Earth orbit or even to orbit!

China, Russia, India or some other nation not in favor of such extreme right-wing neo-fascist concepts will do whatever it takes to torpedo such militarization and I will support them, not Trump or his cult followers.   That starship warrior pictured needs to get a bloody nose or worse.   

If that's what exploring the universe is going to be like I want nothing to do with it.   And such colonial conquest schemes would be a betrayal of everything the Mars Society stands for.

Last edited by EdwardHeisler (2018-03-15 07:33:05)

#13 2018-03-15 07:45:58

JoshNH4H
Website

Hey EdwardHeisler,

Be careful to avoid flaming when speaking to or about people who disagree with you on politics.

We do allow political discussion on the forum, but that's not an excuse for name-calling, flaming, or calls to violence.

The discussion of a "Space Force" obviously is deeply related to the topic of this forum and you can agree or disagree, but there is absolutely no reason why that should lead into slurs against people who you disagree with politically.

-Josh

#14 2018-03-15 08:02:45

elderflower

I have some difficulty in detecting much of a difference between Putin and Mussolini. Apart, obviously, from the fact that Mussolini has already been hanged.

#15 2018-03-15 13:45:33

EdwardHeisler

JoshNH4H wrote:

Hey EdwardHeisler,

Be careful to avoid flaming when speaking to or about people who disagree with you on politics.

We do allow political discussion on the forum, but that's not an excuse for name-calling, flaming, or calls to violence.

The discussion of a "Space Force" obviously is deeply related to the topic of this forum and you can agree or disagree, but there is absolutely no reason why that should lead into slurs against people who you disagree with politically.

Do you find anything in my previous post objectionable and have you ever found anything in any of my posts that are clearly racist or sexist attacks?

Unless "Starship Trooper" is a real person I don't think that post can be consider a violation of our rules.   I don't think we have any imperial starship troopers in the Department of Offense and hope we never do.   Don't you agree?

If you can find any of my posts where I have called other posters nasty names such as a "ignorant sob" or employed racist attacks on posters or public figures please send me the links.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

#16 2018-07-06 19:00:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

The word is out and now NASA chief explains the need for a "space force" as if NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine needed to explain America's dominance on the last frontier.

"We can't do what we want to do with American taxpayer dollars exclusively...it's too expensive."

Must be talking of SLS...

"So we need commercial partners that are willing invest their own money for their own purposes.

Current purchase of COTS to fill the cost roll of Nasa doing business in space.

we need international partners. And I will tell you, there is no shortage of international partners that are willing to go with us to Mars."

But that is not the same thing for protecting the nations interest in controlling the high ground.

The "space force" intends to organize, train, and equip people in the interest of space-related national security. It could, eventually, lead missions to other planets, including Mars.

Classic bait and switch statement....

#17 2018-08-09 19:17:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Not sure that the space force will be guarding the galaxy let alone global interest to assure all have access. Space Force Pence

Is it really to be as intended to have control over military operations in outer space?

#18 2018-08-10 07:25:02

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

I suppose we could've used the same argument about why we didn't need an Air Force as a separate military branch from the Army, but we didn't do that because we recognized that the Army Air Force's purpose was increasingly independent of what the Army was focused on.

#19 2018-08-10 11:23:42

EdwardHeisler

Pence Calls Space Force Necessary to Protect U.S. from Gay Aliens
By Andy Borowitz
August 9, 2018

Borowitz-PenceSpaceForce.jpg

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Making a major announcement at the Pentagon on Thursday, Vice-President Mike Pence said that the proposed United States Space Force was necessary to defend the U.S. from gay aliens.

“I stand before you today to say that this country is under attack from outer-space gays,” Pence told the military gathering. “Only Space Force can protect us from their unimaginable evil.”

Pence detailed a nightmare scenario in which “gay aliens by the thousands” land in the U.S. in “seemingly cute spacecraft” and “subvert life in America as we know it.”

“Let’s say, for example, that these gay aliens can assume human form,” he said. “What’s to stop them from infiltrating normal bakeries and baking cakes for gay weddings?”

“I’ll tell you what’s to stop them,” he said, pausing for dramatic effect. “Space Force.”

At the White House, CNN’s Jim Acosta asked the press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, how, exactly, Pence had developed his theory about the existence of gay aliens.

“No one is more qualified to talk about life on other planets than Mike Pence,” Sanders snapped.

#20 2018-08-10 11:39:29

RobertDyck
Website

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E2v3EtsvQcE
This is what he actually said.

#21 2018-08-10 13:12:11

Terraformer
Website

Edward, that's not even good satire.

Besides, everyone knows they're actually inter-dimensional shapeshifting child molesters.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#22 2018-08-10 14:01:18

EdwardHeisler

Terraformer wrote:

everyone knows they're actually inter-dimensional shapeshifting child molesters.

Good point.   That would mean they supported Trump's favorite pedophile candidate for the U.S. Senate, Roy Moore in Alabama.

WASHINGTON — President Trump broke with leading Republicans on Tuesday and voiced support for Roy S. Moore, the Republican Senate candidate in Alabama who has been accused of sexual misconduct with teenagers and has seen his campaign’s prospects imperiled.

In his first extensive remarks on the accusations that date back decades, the president cited the vigorous denials by Mr. Moore, who is facing off in a high-stakes special election against Doug Jones, the Democratic candidate.

“He totally denies it,” Mr. Trump said of Mr. Moore, who has been accused of molesting a 14-year-old girl and sexually assaulting another teenager.

Alabama rejects bigoted pedophile, elects Democrat Doug Jones in stunning rebuke to Trump
By Matthew Chapman - 
December 12, 2017

On Tuesday evening, the political world was shattered with news that would have been completely unfathomable a year ago: a Democrat has won the Alabama Senate seat previously held by Jeff Sessions.

Faced with GOP candidate Roy Moore, who is accused of serially molesting teenage girls, believes gays should be arrested, has been critical of women’s suffrage, and said America has not been “great” since slavery ended, voters in one of the nation’s most right-wing states decided they had no choice but to put country over party.

Senator-elect Doug Jones, a former federal prosecutor, is best known for locking up the Klansmen who murdered four black girls in the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing. His career of law and order was the perfect foil to a candidate who was once banned from a mall for leering at children.

https://shareblue.com/alabama-rejects-b … -to-trump/

#23 2018-08-10 18:25:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Get back on topic EdwardHeisler

There is a question as to where the money will come from to allow for more than just the x37b flight testing.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/space-forc … ve-stream/

Pence lays out plans for Trump's "Space Force" to be installed by 2020

#24 2018-08-10 20:21:30

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

The Air Force needs to be broken up into more manageable pieces so it can focus on air-to-air combat and strikes, which is most of what they already focus funding and training on.  They're demonstrably not too interested in strategic bombing or close air support, for example.  The personnel and assets can be taken from both the Air Force and the Navy to stand up Space Command.  All satellite operations, ballistic missile defense, and ballistic missile launch authority should be handed over to the new command.  The Navy should retire their ballistic missiles in favor of shorter range cruise missiles which permit comparatively stealthy offensive operations.  The naval ballistic missile defense strategy is a recipe for failure.  I'm in favor of Space Command taking control of all aspects of nuclear offensive and defensive operations.

I was kinda hoping that we could get the Space Command to pick up the tab for development of Dream Chaser and man-rating Falcon Heavy.  In point of fact, the Air Force is already picking up the tab for BFR engine development work.  A LOX/LH2 upper stage for F9H would be quite useful for short term work required to test all of the technologies required to go to the moon and Mars.

The Air Force could save a lot of money by retiring some of our legacy assets like the B-52's and older model F-15's and F-16's, since those weapons delivery platforms would never survive a drop over a moderately well-defended target.  The multi-billion dollar "smart" B61 (nuclear JDAM) is one of the dumbest things I ever heard of when bombing accuracy is already measured in a few hundred meters from high altitude.  No doubt someone will find a way to justify that when we have a real issue with enemy ASAT weapons knocking out the GPS constellations that provide JDAM guidance (they also have inertial guidance, which is more than sufficient for a nuclear bomb dropped from a subsonic bomber).

#25 2018-08-11 07:12:54

Terraformer
Website

Perhaps some of the Naval 'assets' handed over could be a few Marines. They've already expressed an interest in long range hypersonic deployment via suborbital spacecraft, which fits a Space Command more than it does the Navy.

Board footer