New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2018-02-20 22:12:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

What Biome's are needed on Mars

Void had a great question in a sense for the biome's that we need for mars as I meantioned that the biosphere 2 had seven biome areas. Would man only focus on the Land and Sea biome on mars?

To what extent are are these Biome's deployed, as we will not build earth on mars for quite some times but need them parts of each of these for food, processing of waste, and for materials to make use of in expanding mans capabilities on mars.

Biosphere biomes with details of content and why they were included in the earth simulation. I am researching for information as I go....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangrove

450 square meter Mangrove swamps/ wetlands are coastal found in tropical and subtropical regions mainly between latitudes 25° N and 25° s. They are characterized by halophytic (salt loving) trees, shrubs and other plants growing in brackish to saline tidal waters. In these areas, there are usually relatively high temperatures (70-80 degrees Fahrenheit) and significant amounts of precipitation (4.5 meters). The plant life in the mangrove swamps is very diverse. According to National Geographic, there are 70 different species of plants from dozens of different families that you can find in the mangroves.

There are three main types of mangrove plants: white mangrove, black mangrove, and red mangrove.

http://www.bioexpedition.com/wetland-biome/

Mangrove swamps are home to many different species of animals. They sustain billions of worms, barnacles, oysters, and other invertebrates. These organisms draw in other organisms such as fish,birds, pelicans, and even crocodiles.

They are natures filter to pollutants...they transpire fresh water....give habitats to wildlife.... and some of them are a food source for humans...

This needs more research for value in a mars inclusion as we will not have wildlife as such and will be very few animals for quite sometime and chosing just the right ones to include will need more knowledge for transport to mars.

other biomes for research infor mation for inclusion into mars life support and why we need them.

1,900 square meter rainforest

850 square meter ocean with a coral reef

1,300 square meter savannah grassland

1,400 square meter fog desert, and two anthropogenic biomes

2,500 square meter agricultural system and a human habitat with living spaces, laboratories and workshops

#2 2018-03-09 13:52:32

Void

Re: What Biome's are needed on Mars

Well this lonely topic needs a reply.

Europa, Enceladus.

In my mind it almost a certainty that we could infect a presumed ocean of Enceladus with some kind of Earth microbe, so I call it a biome.

Easiest possible first Biome.  Harping again, but even if you do not inject chemicals or photons into the ice covered water, there is evidence that water and particularly brine may react with the soil to create chemicals that life can subsist on.  From that then get some of your needed chemistry and also release Methane perhaps.

As for the liquid water, it is a ideal case for storing waste heat, or heat that you collect from the sun and intentionally inject.  Then at night in particular, you can generate electricity by releasing heat to the night sky from the water.

I will say this, however, if you covered a patch of ground with even melt temperature water (With ice over it), and it happened that their were clathrates buried under it, I think the heat would penetrate into the ground to release the gasses of the Clathrate much sooner than if you tried to warm the planet just with greenhouse gasses.

If that were the case, then perhaps you could hope to move upscale, maybe to a situation where the polar ice caps were destined to form seas by melting.

As for dry land, I guess we could try to inject water vapor into the high reaches of the Martian atmosphere, and hope that it will photo desiccate into Oxygen and Hydrogen, the Hydrogen then being swept away preferentially.  Then the Oxygen being changed to Ozone. 

However, I am not assured at all that the Ozone would remain separate from CO2.  Then a reaction might just create CO.

But if the atmosphere is stratified enough, and the Oxygen high enough, perhaps Ozone.  I don't count on it.

After that and during that you should hope to inflate the Martian CO2 from the ice caps, and provide an average air pressure outside of 11 mb.  At those pressures, it is speculated that snow, and temporary streams can occur.  And so if you have temporary streams you will have temporary mud, and perhaps even more persisting ponds with muddy bottoms.  At that point it is possible for very radiation tolerant life to exist in the mud, perhaps even to a limited degree exposed to direct sunlight.

From there you punt I guess, we don't know enough about Mars. 

If you get some Ozone, then perhaps something like very a very high arctic biome possible.

Eventually under optimal conditions, I would like to see Steppe on dry land.

But that will likely require processing huge amounts of water vapor in the exosphere/Stratosphere of Mars.  Ideally the water comes from Phobos or Demos.  Otherwise you would have to push it up from the Martian surface.

Pushing it up could involve some kind of a "Gun/Cannon" (Very slow I think).

Hot air vortexes (Very hard I think).

Or, if you could somehow manage to overheat Mars with supergreenhouse gasses, then if you achieved a temperature sufficiently high, then water vapor would come out of the ground and ice caps, and saturate the atmosphere with high humidity and U.V. would eventually generate an Oxygen atmosphere.

If their are Clathrates containing Nitrogen then you would really be in luck.

Last edited by Void (2018-03-09 14:11:17)

Board footer