New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-02-22 16:32:18

Palomar7

Bacteria vs Microbes

Is there a difference?

Yes, I could Google, but all the scientific jargon (I'm a layperson)...

I should know, but frankly it seems I might not. In writing up a pro-Mars piece (mini-blogger), I realized I'd used the word "bacterial" instead of "microbial" ... and later questioned it.

So I'm asking while admitting possible unforgivable ignorance. :-p But it does seem they're used interchangeably.

Original registration - May 2002

[i]I want that Million Year Picnic on Mars[/i]

#2 2018-02-22 17:52:49

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Bacteria vs Microbes

Wikipedia: Microorganism or microbe
Short answer: microbes are single-cell organisms. Bacteria are a specific type. Archaea are not bacteria, they're older and more primitive. Eukaryota (Eukaryotic cells) are different again; all multi-cellular organisms on Earth are made of eukaryotic cells, but some eukaryotic organisms are still single cell. For example, yeast is a eukaryote, but because they are single-cell organisms they are microbes.

#3 2018-02-24 11:49:57

Palomar7

Re: Bacteria vs Microbes

RobertDyck wrote:

Wikipedia: Microorganism or microbe
Short answer: microbes are single-cell organisms. Bacteria are a specific type. Archaea are not bacteria, they're older and more primitive. Eukaryota (Eukaryotic cells) are different again; all multi-cellular organisms on Earth are made of eukaryotic cells, but some eukaryotic organisms are still single cell. For example, yeast is a eukaryote, but because they are single-cell organisms they are microbes.

Thank you.

Original registration - May 2002

[i]I want that Million Year Picnic on Mars[/i]

Board footer