New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-01-07 19:25:02

louis

Artificial gorge complex

Some of you may recall I have proposed closing off, roofing and pressurising natural gorges on Mars to create large Earth-like environments.

The more I think about this, the more I feel rather than looking for natural gorges, we should create our own gorge systems as that is likely to be a much more effective way to proceed.

Once we can put in place some big robot diggers on Mars we should be able to create such gorges quite easily where we find suitable rock e.g. forms of sandstone.

As regards the layout of the gorge system, I'd like to see something like the equivalent of a bicycle wheel with spokes, and one or two inner wheels...each spoke and wheel being an artificial gorge.  Of course they would be far less regular than the bicylce wheel analogy suggests, so as to make them more interesting to explore.

Imagine perhaps a  wheel with a 2 km diameter and two inner wheels at 1300m and 700m and maybe 6 spokes going out from the central area.  Let's assume we dig out an average 50 metre wide gorge (though the roof area will be narrower), to a depth of 100 metres on average.   That would be a major mining operation but certainly not beyond the capability of a technologically advanced Mars settlement, I think.  We would be talking about something like 18 kms of gorge trail.  Of course, it is something that could be created incrementally maybe over 20 years with just under 1 km being complete each year. I think in principle gorge-creation should be a lot simpler than tunnel boring.  We may even be able to use explosives which would speed things up.

The gorges would narrow to tunnels every kilometer or so (with automatically synchronised doors to preserve discrete pressure environments).

The gorge roofs composed of blue coloured glass (or blue coloured water containers) could be more narrow than the base of the  gorge. Supplementary natural light could come from light pipes feeding in natural insolation into the gorges and that could be further enhanced by natural frequency light generated by external solar power facilities.  Heating of the gorges would come from external solar power and from internal activity.

The gorge environment would provide huge leisure and sports opportunities - notably walking, running and cycling. There could be a range of environments from temperate to tropical. The gorges would be full of natural earth-style vegetation. There would be streams of water (with pumping and water cleansing facilities). With a height of 100 metres, there could be walkways and cycleways at different levels. There could be rope bridges and other sturdier bridges at various heights.   Essentially, within the 18 km gorge system, you might actually have something like 100 kms of paths, walkways and cycleways. Within that 100 kms of travelway you could have millions of potential routes.

There could within the 18 km gorge system be many different facilities and points of interest: cafes, restaurants, bike repair shops, telescopes, planeteria, musical performance centres, retail outlets, cinemas, swimming pools, bungee jumping, zip wire, arts centres, museums and so on....maybe even tethered baloons...who knows - once it is built people will come up with good, new ideas.

Last edited by louis (2018-01-07 19:28:59)

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2018-01-08 06:08:36

elderflower

Re: Artificial gorge complex

GW has reminded me of the former use of LOX and carbon for blasting. Both can be made on Mars without too much difficulty. You would certainly need some kind of explosive to create the kind of spaces you envisage, Louis.
I do think that slope stability would be a limiting factor, though, and this would require reinforcement or large roof spans.

#3 2018-01-08 22:39:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

CloudForest_EN-US9578926154_800x480.jpg

#4 2018-01-09 09:51:00

louis

Nice graphic but not quite what I have in mind. I'm thinking more...

usor37589.jpeg

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=narro … QaY5sCddXM:

#5 2018-01-09 17:07:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nice narrow canyon or gorge for sure now add the roof from my image and you are getting closer....

#6 2018-02-19 15:56:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

The ability to create earth like artificial habitats are going to be a must as more people go to mars to stay.
The easiest of methods, lowest of energy required to develope and build are going to be a plus as we need differening eco systems.

#7 2019-10-25 18:42:56

Grim77b

I like your ideas but couldnt the sides be v shaped so to farm as the incas did You ll have to pardon me but I like the thought K.I.S.S ( keep it simple , keep it stupid ) now I wonder how big Bamboo would get in the low gravity as it would be a good idea to grow some we have been using it for centurys in many various ways . Also american indians have built in the sides of canyons for a long time

#8 2019-10-25 18:53:27

louis

As mentioned on the other thread, the more you terrace the sides, the more you widen the roof of the gorge - until you reach physical limits. I would retain terraced planting for glassed over hillsides. I think that could work well.

I also favour growing bamboo on Mars. It is a very versatile material and also v. quick growing. It can be used for furniture, kitchen utensils, piping, vehicles, clothing, flooring , roofing etc etc.

I have never heard any suggestion that if grown in suitable conditions on Mars the lower gravity would retard the growth of bamboo. Maybe the reverse as the plant won't be sensing so much downward pressure!

The sides of canyons can be hollowed out for use as cafes, rest places, cinemas, whatever!  They could also be used for rock climbing of course.

One of the big issues I would say for canyons is what flora and fauna do you use. Particularly the fauna...do you try and create a functioning ecosystem from bacteria through to medium sized predators? Or do you just populate it with crowdpleasers like butterflies and colourful birds.

Grim77b wrote:

I like your ideas but couldnt the sides be v shaped so to farm as the incas did You ll have to pardon me but I like the thought K.I.S.S ( keep it simple , keep it stupid ) now I wonder how big Bamboo would get in the low gravity as it would be a good idea to grow some we have been using it for centurys in many various ways . Also american indians have built in the sides of canyons for a long time

Board footer