New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#76 2018-02-11 22:56:53

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Why do we have Poverty in America

Terraformer wrote:

America needs to strike down zoning. Build traditional cities, connected by rail, and housing and transportation costs will plummet.

What is a "traditional city"? Here in Winnipeg, we have houses. I live in Winnipeg, a city built in the prairies. It started with homesteads out in the middle of nowhere. Here, independent houses are traditional. Two hundred years ago, houses were smaller. Just when I grew up, houses were smaller. I live in a lower income neighbourhood, not the lowest in the city, but certainly not new. New houses are much bigger, built on tiny plots of land. When I lived in Toronto in the late 1980s, "monster homes" had started. Now they're here in Winnipeg too. According to the Canadian Real Estate Association, average house price here is now $293,856! yikes When I bought my house it cost $46,500 (Canadian dollars). One neighbour laughed at me; she said the previous owner paid $36,000, and the owner before that $24,000. But the assessed value for property tax is $113,000! And I described what it is. News claims this city still is among the lowest housing prices for the country, but what?! That's low?

Vancouver has the highest housing prices in Canada. Many people are converting their detached garage into a laneway house. That's a small detached house where the garage would normally go. Zoning in Vancouver permits it.

You can build a laneway house on any lot 32 feet or wider in any RS single family zone.

Terraformer wrote:

Also, Americans need to relearn the virtue of restraint. There is no valid reason for consumer debt to be so high, not with the median income what it is.

Um, yea. When I lived in Miami, Florida, I took a certification course in Fort Lauderdale. Others taking the course scoffed at me for driving a muscle car. They claimed "everyone" now drives an SUV. Conspicuous consumption as status symbol. You have to have more to just be socially accepted.

#77 2018-02-11 23:00:42

Void

While the suffering of the weak is an important issue to consider, I don't see any evidence yet of a major collapse.

The stock market was just going up too fast, reality had to stop by.

One factor that I have run across is that bonds are beginning to offer more, and so the stock market suffers.

Some theories (From wild theory places) indicate that there may be an effort to sour the economy to make Trump look bad, since they have not been able to otherwise knock him down.  Don't know.

In terms of relative economics, four economic entities could be mentioned.  China, Foreign Oil Producers, the USA/NA, Europe.

Of these the USA/NA would seem to have the upper hand on a planetary basis.  China is running an export Ponzi-loan scheme.
Oil Producers have USA Shale production against them.  Europe is supposedly a mess.  Italy for instance according to Peter Zeihan has proportionally 80 times the amount of non-preforming loans as did the USA at the beginning of the "Great Recession".

The USA/Mexico are reshoring jobs in a big way.  In quite a large part because Mexican labor is higher quality to China labor at a lower price, and because USA natural gas is being routed to Mexico.  Unfortunately we seem to be at a probable point of friction between the USA and Mexico.  I was expecting it.  Here it is.  But maybe even with that the partnership can work in a weird way.

The point is capitol is exiting places like China and perhaps Europe, and coming here, also to places like Australia, N.Z., Canada, possibly UK.

The world is very possibly going down, but not so much us.  So, in relative terms, our poor have better chances than poor in some other places.

Last edited by Void (2018-02-11 23:13:51)

#78 2018-02-11 23:24:54

RobertDyck
Website

Southern Ontario does an inter-city commuter train system. Some people do use it go get to work. However, southern Ontario is not like most of Canada, it's densely packed similar to New England. In Canada, CP rail and CN rail both sold their passenger rail service to a new company. VIA rail is now the only long distance passenger rail. Price costs about as much as an airline ticket, but train takes much longer. Winnipeg is a big beautiful city surrounded by miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. The nearest city with a population over half a million is Minneapolis, MN. That's an 8 hour drive one-way. And that's without delays at the border. The closest city that size within Canada is Calgary, 14 hour drive. So we fly.

I have driven straight from Winnipeg to Toronto, it was 23 hours with a muscle car when I was in my 20s and able to drive all night. Highway 17 north of Lake Superior is undivided, one lane each way, twisty up-and-down through rocky terrain. Visualize a rock cut, around solid rock with a sheer drop if you drive over the edge, no street lights, with 18-wheel trucks driving 120 km/h (75 mph) the other direction. Could you drive that at 120 km/h with posted speed limit of 90 km/h (55 mph)? I could then, don't think I could now. When I returned from Toronto to Winnipeg, I drove a 3-ton moving truck; U-Haul brand. It was intended for one-way trips, it barely had enough km on the odometer to get from the factory to the rental place. I took it on its first trip. It had a governor which restricted it to 90 km/h. Took me 28 hours to get home.
system_map-900x695.jpg
Checking fares: Winnipeg to Toronto round-trip, booked 2 weeks in advance, cheapest class, including taxes. VIA rail $445, Westjet $318.

#79 2018-02-13 19:28:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Bill and Melinda Gates, the world’s foremost philanthropists, are rethinking their work in America as they confront their unsatisfactory track record on schools, the country's growing inequity and a president they disagree with more than any other. Bill and Melinda Gates describe how they argue, why they stay optimistic about the world even when you see that they are a couple of 25 years and not afraid to tackle the hard topics at home with each other either.

Bill and Melinda Gates: Trump budget could lead to millions of global deaths

Bill, Melinda Gates turn focus to U.S. inequity, question Trump's worldview

couple said they're concerned about President Donald Trump's "America first" worldview. They've made known their differences with the president and his party on issues including foreign aid, taxes and protections for immigrant youth in the country illegally.

And they said they're now digging into the layers of U.S. poverty that they haven't been deeply involved with at the national level, including employment, race, housing, mental health, incarceration and substance abuse.

"We are not seeing the mobility out of poverty in the same way in the United States as it used to exist,"

The Seattle-based Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation employs more than 1,400 people and has distributed $41.3 billion in grants since its inception in 2000, according to its website.

#80 2018-02-17 02:42:42

kbd512

Billy's stock dividends won't be affected if some farm boy working in a Cobalt mine in Africa to make solar panels or nuclear materials for one of his business ideas dies from malnutrition or disease.  He's never lived in a place with a window, thus has no pressing need to buy the latest version of Microsoft's Windows software for a computer he'll never own because his mother is burning what their last meal became to cook their next one.  If they think they know better than everyone else how our money should be spent, then perhaps they should run for office.  It's always a simple matter to heckle from the VIP Box.  The man in the arena has an entirely different task set before him.

They can question President Trump's worldview all they like.  I question the Gates' worldview, given some of his statements.  It is not the taxpayer's job to cater to every desire on the part of other people to spend their hard earned money on every pet cause known to man.  It's not their job to coddle illegal aliens or their offspring, either.

The President's job, first and foremost, is to do what is in the best interests of all of his people.  Since he's President of the United States of America, not the whole world, "his people" would mean the American people.  I know former President Obama and the rest of his fellow regressives are stuck on their "citizen of the world" nonsense, but the rest of us aren't.  It is not in America's best interest to spend our money on other people without result.  Places like Africa and the Middle East have been poor for generations, they'll be poor long after America is but a memory, and there's not a damn thing that you, me, President Trump, or Bill and Melinda Gates are going to do to fundamentally change that until their cultural and societal problems have been adequately addressed by the people who live there.

Regressives will always complain about what President Trump does or doesn't do, no matter what he does or doesn't do.  They're spoiled children who can't accept that they don't always get their way.  Some people never really grow up and that perfectly describes the mentality of every regressive I've ever met.  It's like all these supposedly "smart" people can't figure out that not everyone on the planet shares their view of how the world should work.  It must be crazy to live in a world where everyone else's ideas don't match your own.

The solution is always education, but we never even started that process in what is purported to be the most advanced country on the planet.  Government bureaucracy neither teaches people to think for themselves nor does it do anything to encourage the same.  It can't because its very livelihood depends upon having a general populace that is weak, ignorant, and co-dependent on government from the cradle to the grave so it can "control" them.  Raising a child is not a "village affair".  It takes two committed partners doing the best they possibly can with what they have and what they know.  How could that process flourish when half the people both in this country and on the rest of the planet are busy worshipping sky wizards and the other half are busy worshipping government?

Any time a bunch of evil dimwits get together, no matter how much window dressing is applied to the occasion, the result will nearly always be evil and stupid.  If that's not exactly what happens, then you can be sure it's a freak accident.  Evil dimwit get-togethers, aka government, aka religion, aka nearly every "ism" known to man, are not things to rely on to achieve a better result for humanity.  Humanity achieves better results in spite of those obstacles.  Humans everywhere need to end total dependence on other people to fix their problems.  When you fix your own problems, real learning begins and the end result is nearly always better.

Board footer