New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-01-04 14:35:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

Cho Gyeong-chul Observatory in South Korea

2Cmobkn

On this World Hypnotism Day, we dazzle your eyes with star trails caught in a long-exposure photograph taken at the Cho Gyeong-chul Observatory in Gangwon Province, South Korea. The observatory is named for Cho Gyeong-chul, an astronomer who, among his many accomplishments, interpreted broadcasts of the Apollo 11 moon landing for Korean television, earning him the nickname ‘Dr. Apollo.

Cho Gyeong-chul was a South Korean astronomer. He was born in Sonchon, Pyongannam-do. He finished his middle and high school courses at Pyongyang and was then admitted to Yonhui University. During the Korean War he served in the South Korean army, and in 1952 he was a professor at the South Korean military academy.

#2 2018-02-22 16:22:27

Palomar7

Re: Cho Gyeong-chul Observatory in South Korea

Their ancient queen, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Seondeok_of_Silla, built a "star-gazing tower."

I briefly read about her years ago.

I'd like to visit Asia. Likely never will. :-\

Original registration - May 2002

[i]I want that Million Year Picnic on Mars[/i]

#3 2018-02-23 05:11:36

elderflower

You should, Palomar7. Everybody in the West should for their education. Visit Singapore to see the smoothest functioning, multiracial, multicultural city. Visit India/ Bangladesh /Indonesia to see societies with quite terrifying degrees of inequality. Visit China to feel the continuity of it's ancient civilisation. Spend a fortnight in each and get off the regular tourist trail for some of it. Get lots of jabs and eat freshly cooked stuff that the locals eat.

#4 2018-02-23 23:47:43

clark

Singapore: don't chew gum.
India: smells/tastes like burning tires (at least around New Delhi)
Tokyo: clean, polite. You are a foreigner, you don't belong.
Hong Kong: Reminder of what China is.
China: Reminder of what freedoms you take for granted.

Other than Tokyo, your travel destinations are better spent elsewhere.

Board footer