New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-11-29 15:05:08

Terraformer
Website

The Knowledge - How To Rebuild Our World From Scratch

Website here.

I recently bought the book. It's an enjoyable read, but it would be improved significantly if the author had included diagrams, rather than relying on description to explain ideas. For example, he writes how a millstone works, but there's no diagram alongside it to show. There's too much reliance on tell, rather than show.

Another thing is the lack of in-text citations.

Anyway, there's a forum here to discuss the book's subject. I figure people here would be interested in it.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#2 2023-10-18 10:49:37

tahanson43206

Re: The Knowledge - How To Rebuild Our World From Scratch

Thanks to Terraformer for providing this topic.

It was Terraformer's interest in Dr. Dartnell's book (and her ability to persuade him to accept her application for membership) that allowed her to persuade me to visit NewMars. 

We have an occasional correspondent in the Knowledge Forum, and today he sent this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLtyNtf9_ew.

I haven't opened the link yet, because it requires a more modern computer than this ca 2010 work horse.

However, our correspondent says the video offers some insight into Internal Combustion, which is a perennial topic in NewMars.

Update later: This is a demonstration of the rotary engine, with high speed camera recording, and a see-through engine cover.

The test engine was run on propane, propane with a bit of acetylene to add visual effect, and gasoline.

*** Update on 2023/10/20 .... I just found this news about the company described in the link above.

Amount Subscribed
$25.14M
$30M

THE COMBUSTION ENGINE REIMAGINED
We've earned $65M in government contracts and grown revenue 377% since the end of 2021 thanks to our revolutionary engine technology. Now we've just launched our most advanced engine yet: the supercharged, liquid-cooled XTS-210. Don't miss your chance to join 15,000+ shareholders by investing before this opportunity ends on 10/24.
INVEST NOW
$11.50 Share Price
+ Up To 15% Bonus Shares

I'm assuming no one in this forum is an investor at any level.

However, I must admit the opening share price is attractive, but I'll bet it is necessary to buy more than one share.

(th)

Board footer