New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-11-18 12:37:23

EdwardHeisler

500 Attend 2017 Flat Earth International Conference

Time for a little comic relief.  Edward Heisler

What in the World? Flat-Earthers Gather at First Conference
By Stephanie Pappas, Live Science Contributor |  November 17, 2017

A conference aimed at disputing the idea that the world is round just wrapped up in North Carolina.

The first-ever 2017 Flat Earth International Conference (FEIC) was held in Raleigh on Nov. 9 and 10, featuring some of the big names in round-Earth denial. Among the speakers were Darryle Marble, who once took a level on a plane to "prove" the Earth doesn't curve; Mark Sargent, the creator of the Flat Earth Clues YouTube Series, who believes all life is enclosed in a "Truman Show"-like dome structure; and Jeran Campanella, a YouTube and online radio personality, who makes flat-Earth, 9/11 Truther and other conspiracy theory videos.

The conference was hosted by Kryptoz Media, which produces DVDs and other media arguing that "scientism" is an agenda designed to keep people from God, and the Creation Cosmology Institute, an organization with little online footprint except a now-deleted YouTube channel.   

The conference featured talks such as "NASA and Other Space Lies," "Flat Earth with the Scientific Method," "Waking Up to Mainstream Science Lies" and "Testing the Globe." The conference organizer, Kryptoz Media's Robbie Davidson, is a Christian creationist, and that philosophy emerged in sessions such as "Flat Earth & The Bible" and "Exposing Scientism," the latter of which decried evolution and the Big Bang theory of the universe's origin.

Flat-Earthers believe that Earth is not a globe, but a flat plane. Beliefs on how the "true" globe is laid out vary, but many YouTube personalities who push the conspiracy theory say that the planet is a disc surrounded by an ice wall. Flat-Earthers argue that NASA and other scientific agencies digitally fake pictures of the globe from space and that there is a vast conspiracy to keep the truth of the flat Earth from the public.

No one knows how many people really subscribe to flat-Earth beliefs. The Flat Earth Society, the oldest organization devoted to the belief, claims 555 members. Marble boasts 22,954 subscribers to his YouTube channel. About 500 people attended the conference in Raleigh, Davidson told Live Science via email.

The next annual Flat Earth International Conference will be held in Denver, from Nov. 15 -16, in 2018. Davidson said he expects up to 1,500 attendees.

https://www.livescience.com/60972-flat- … rence.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from my Mars Paper sent to the archives.

TRUMP MADE AN HONORARY MEMBER OF AN EARTH STUDY SOCIETY!

In recognition of Trumps understanding of and appreciation of scientific endeavors an organization involved in the study of our planet granted Trump honorary membership in their society earlier this year. 

John Davis, the Secretary of the Society publicly announced:   “Universities have a history of granting honorary degrees to men of great significance.   Therefore I’m suggesting that this Society make Donald J. Trump a lifetime honorary member of the Zetetic Council of the Flat Earth Society."

In response a member of the Flat Earth Society commented on their discussion board:   “I totally agree.   I think that Trump has the qualities needed to be a flattie.”   Another Flat Earth member chimed in:   “Perhaps someone should propose a flat Earth curriculum be taught at Trump University”.

#2 2017-11-18 18:49:06

Antius

Re: 500 Attend 2017 Flat Earth International Conference

I've heard of the flat Earth society before.  But I always assumed that 'flat Earth' was satire for a more general anti-science scepticism.  I had no idea these people really did believe the world was flat.  I suppose the title should have been a give away!  I wonder if these people ever fear falling off the edge of the world?  If you believe the world is flat then traveling too far must be a constant anxiety :-)

#3 2017-11-18 20:43:30

EdwardHeisler

Antius wrote:

I've heard of the flat Earth society before.  But I always assumed that 'flat Earth' was satire for a more general anti-science scepticism.  I had no idea these people really did believe the world was flat.  I suppose the title should have been a give away!  I wonder if these people ever fear falling off the edge of the world?  If you believe the world is flat then traveling too far must be a constant anxiety :-)

If you walk, drive and fly around in circles you won't fall off!    And you will always get back to where you came from!

#4 2017-11-18 20:58:01

IanM
Banned

Of course the Earth is flat, otherwise it would roll right off the turtle!

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. -Paraphrased from Tsiolkovsky

#5 2017-11-21 06:51:36

elderflower

Not so. The elephants keep it in place, IanM.

#6 2017-11-21 12:40:11

kbd512
Administrator

Next year, we should all pitch in so that Ron White can deliver the keynote speech.

#7 2017-11-21 20:06:27

EdwardHeisler

This man is about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat
By Avi Selk 
Washington Post
November 21, 2017

Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

Hughes’s ultimate goal is a subsequent launch that puts him miles above the Earth, where the 61-year-old limousine driver hopes to photograph proof of the disc we all live on.

“It’ll shut the door on this ball earth,” Hughes said in a fundraising interview with a flat-Earth group for Saturday’s flight. Theories discussed during the interview included NASA being controlled by round-Earth Freemasons and Elon Musk making fake rockets from blimps.

Hughes promised the flat-Earth community that he would expose the conspiracy with his steam-powered rocket, which will launch from a heavily modified mobile home — though he acknowledged that he still had much to learn about rocket science.

“This whole tech thing,” he said in the June interview. “I’m really behind the eight ball.”

"I’m a believer in the flat Earth,” Hughes said. “I researched it for several months.”

The host sounded impressed. Hughes had actually flown in a rocket, he noted, whereas astronauts were merely paid actors performing in front of a CGI globe.

“John Glenn and Neil Armstrong are Freemasons,” Hughes agreed. “Once you understand that, you understand the roots of the deception.”

The host talked of “Elon Musk’s fake reality,” and Hughes talked of “anti-Christ, Illuminati stuff.” After half an hour of this, the host told his 300-some listeners to back Hughes’s exploration of space.

While there is no one hypothesis for what the flat Earth is supposed to look like, many believers envision a flat disc ringed by sea ice, which naturally holds the oceans in.

What’s beyond the sea ice, if anything, remains to be discovered.

He won’t be able to test the rocket before he climbs inside and attempts to steam himself at 500 mph across a mile of desert air. And even if it’s a success, he's promised his backers an even riskier launch within the next year, into the space above the disc.

“It’s scary as hell,” Hughes told the AP. “But none of us are getting out of this world alive.”

Read the full article at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spe … 26f1324cab

skynews-rocket-man-california_4161263.jpg?20171120115807

#8 2017-11-21 20:16:17

RobertDyck
Website

I could post various videos of ships "sinking" over the horizon.

#9 2017-11-21 20:41:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Put a tall mast on it and use the same a bit of trig and one will find that the mast is disappearing below the curvature of the earth as it will get shorter. If earth were flat it could not.

#10 2017-11-21 21:56:38

EdwardHeisler

RobertDyck wrote:

I could post various videos of ships "sinking" over the horizon.

Well, it's obvious that those ships fell off the edge of our planet and were never seen again!

Even the great ice wall could not stop them from falling.    They must have been on icebreakers.

#11 2017-11-22 04:21:59

elderflower

Never mind HFCs what we need to ban is antifreeze. Imagine if the great ice wall were ruptured!

#12 2017-11-22 06:48:45

Terraformer
Website

It does look fun (and deadly...), but if you're trying to get up only 1800 feet, surely a balloon is a far better option?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#13 2017-11-25 16:49:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thought article was a joke but remembered this topic....

BBFBwAc.img?h=815&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=439&y=446

A flat-Earther's plan to launch himself in a homemade rocket just hit a speed bump

A California man who planned to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a homemade scrap-metal rocket — in an effort to "prove" that Earth is flat — said he is postponing the experiment after he couldn't get permission from a federal agency to do so on public land.

Instead, Mike Hughes said the launch will take place sometime next week on private property, albeit still in Amboy, Calif., an unincorporated community in the Mojave Desert along historic Route 66.

"It's still happening. We're just moving it three miles down the road," Hughes told The Washington Post on Friday. "This is what happens any time you have to deal with any kind of government agency."

hey, Space x give this guy a hand.....

#14 2018-03-25 13:57:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Finally a flight for 'Mad' flat-Earther rocket scientist blasts off into California sky

Did not achieve orbit but then again he did get off the ground.

He came back down in one piece, too — a little dinged up and his steam-powered vessel a little cracked up.

rocket1000.jpg

“Mad” Mike Hughes, the rocket man who believes the Earth is flat, propelled himself about 1,875 feet into the air Saturday before a hard landing in the Mojave Desert. The wind was blowing and his rocket was losing steam. Ideally, they wanted it at 350 psi for maximum thrust, but it was dropping to 340.

Third times a charm

Self-taught rocket scientist finally blasts off into California sky, "I'm tired of people saying I chickened out and didn't build a rocket. I'm tired of that stuff. I manned up and did it."

#15 2018-03-25 15:03:12

louis

All funded by Soros, I think.  The (ridiculous) flat earthers were hardly discussed until they were weaponised by anti-Trumpists as part of the fake news war.

EdwardHeisler wrote:

Time for a little comic relief.  Edward Heisler

What in the World? Flat-Earthers Gather at First Conference
By Stephanie Pappas, Live Science Contributor |  November 17, 2017

A conference aimed at disputing the idea that the world is round just wrapped up in North Carolina.

The first-ever 2017 Flat Earth International Conference (FEIC) was held in Raleigh on Nov. 9 and 10, featuring some of the big names in round-Earth denial. Among the speakers were Darryle Marble, who once took a level on a plane to "prove" the Earth doesn't curve; Mark Sargent, the creator of the Flat Earth Clues YouTube Series, who believes all life is enclosed in a "Truman Show"-like dome structure; and Jeran Campanella, a YouTube and online radio personality, who makes flat-Earth, 9/11 Truther and other conspiracy theory videos.

The conference was hosted by Kryptoz Media, which produces DVDs and other media arguing that "scientism" is an agenda designed to keep people from God, and the Creation Cosmology Institute, an organization with little online footprint except a now-deleted YouTube channel.   

The conference featured talks such as "NASA and Other Space Lies," "Flat Earth with the Scientific Method," "Waking Up to Mainstream Science Lies" and "Testing the Globe." The conference organizer, Kryptoz Media's Robbie Davidson, is a Christian creationist, and that philosophy emerged in sessions such as "Flat Earth & The Bible" and "Exposing Scientism," the latter of which decried evolution and the Big Bang theory of the universe's origin.

Flat-Earthers believe that Earth is not a globe, but a flat plane. Beliefs on how the "true" globe is laid out vary, but many YouTube personalities who push the conspiracy theory say that the planet is a disc surrounded by an ice wall. Flat-Earthers argue that NASA and other scientific agencies digitally fake pictures of the globe from space and that there is a vast conspiracy to keep the truth of the flat Earth from the public.

No one knows how many people really subscribe to flat-Earth beliefs. The Flat Earth Society, the oldest organization devoted to the belief, claims 555 members. Marble boasts 22,954 subscribers to his YouTube channel. About 500 people attended the conference in Raleigh, Davidson told Live Science via email.

The next annual Flat Earth International Conference will be held in Denver, from Nov. 15 -16, in 2018. Davidson said he expects up to 1,500 attendees.

https://www.livescience.com/60972-flat- … rence.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from my Mars Paper sent to the archives.

TRUMP MADE AN HONORARY MEMBER OF AN EARTH STUDY SOCIETY!

In recognition of Trumps understanding of and appreciation of scientific endeavors an organization involved in the study of our planet granted Trump honorary membership in their society earlier this year. 

John Davis, the Secretary of the Society publicly announced:   “Universities have a history of granting honorary degrees to men of great significance.   Therefore I’m suggesting that this Society make Donald J. Trump a lifetime honorary member of the Zetetic Council of the Flat Earth Society."

In response a member of the Flat Earth Society commented on their discussion board:   “I totally agree.   I think that Trump has the qualities needed to be a flattie.”   Another Flat Earth member chimed in:   “Perhaps someone should propose a flat Earth curriculum be taught at Trump University”.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#16 2023-03-26 05:48:31

Mars_B4_Moon

I did a search for a thread like this before I wrote a rant about JoeRogan and his conspiracy friends or guests

So there was a topic on this all along

'The Earth is flat, 100 per cent... This fake space agency NASA uses CGI images,' These are the most famous FLAT EARTHERS!
https://uk.style.yahoo.com/earth-flat-1 … 00604.html

The Flat Earth Society is gaining followers year on year who believe that NASA has been lying to us!

Absurd Instances Of Flat Earther Logic
https://cheezburger.com/11557637/absurd … ther-logic

How do flat-Earthers explain the equinox? We investigated.
https://www.livescience.com/63648-flat- … uinox.html

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-03-26 05:49:17)

#17 2023-04-01 09:48:50

Mars_B4_Moon

Debunking ‘MH370' The Plane that Disappeared’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Ym8djFvoY

Conspiracy, Religion, no true Critical thought and an Ancient Aliens style documentary?

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 was an international passenger flight operated by Malaysia Airlines that disappeared while flying from Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Malaysia. The search for the missing airplane became the most expensive search in the history of aviation, the aircraft was carrying 12 Malaysian crew members and 227 passengers from 14 different nations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26503469

Malaysia Airlines released the names and nationalities of the passengers and crew, based on the flight manifest

https://web.archive.org/web/20140308152 … nifest.pdf

The passenger list was later modified to include two Iranian passengers travelling on stolen Austrian and Italian passports.

In October 2017, 20 pieces of debris believed to be from 9M-MRO had been recovered from beaches in the western Indian Ocean; 18 of the items were "identified as being very likely or almost certain to originate from MH370", while the other two were "assessed as probably from the accident aircraft.

US officials believe the most likely explanation to be that someone in the cockpit of Flight 370 re-programmed the aircraft's autopilot to travel south across the Indian Ocean

https://web.archive.org/web/20140627001 … 6967783002

Flight 370 was carrying 10,806 kg (23,823 lb) of cargo, of which four unit load devices (standardized cargo containers) of mangosteens (a tropical fruit) (total 4,566 kg (10,066 lb)) and 221 kg (487 lb) of lithium-ion batteries were of interest, according to Malaysian investigators.

Two men boarded Flight 370 with stolen passports, which raised suspicion in the immediate aftermath of its disappearance. United States and Malaysian officials reviewed the backgrounds of every passenger named on the manifest. On 18 March, the Chinese government announced that it had checked all of the Chinese citizens on the aircraft and had ruled out the possibility that any were involved in "destruction or terror attacks". One passenger, who worked as a flight engineer for a Swiss jet charter company, was briefly under suspicion as a potential hijacker because he was thought to have the relevant "aviation skills"

In 2016, the magazine New York wrote that a confidential document from the Malaysian police investigation showed an FBI analysis of the flight simulator's computer hard drive found a route on the pilot's home flight simulator that closely matched the projected flight over the Indian Ocean and that this evidence had been withheld from the publicly released investigative report
https://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2 … lator.html

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-04-01 10:00:38)

#18 2023-10-01 18:41:52

Mars_B4_Moon

Is the Flat Earth Movement Very Active in New York State?

https://wnbf.com/ixp/705/p/flat-earth-new-york/

UFC Flat Earther says evolution is ‘a lie from Satan’

https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/09/23/ufc- … -mitchell/

'No_Curve' with 14.000 Followers

An old show X-Files was kind of a joke about confusion and conspiracy, you are not allowed on the board of directors but then it gets a political CEO face for the media and then a public corporation with treasury but no broadcasts of confusion, in public you become a part owner of that company and the schizo public can ask for conspiracy and there is loss of control in the new cathedral or temple.

There is a twitter account called 'No Curve'

https://twitter.com/No_Curve/status/1707044840838496741

Selfie from top of Mount Everest destroys Flat Earth theory once and for all

https://www.unilad.com/community/life/m … 9-20230930

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-10-01 18:45:38)

#19 2023-10-02 06:27:20

Calliban

Lol.  Have none of these idiots ever been in an aeroplane and looked out of the window?  You can see the curvature of the Earth from 39,000'.  Or maybe it is all an illusion created by the lizzard people who install LCD displays in aeroplane windows, to keep us believing in the round Earth conspiracy.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#20 2023-10-18 18:00:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

#21 2023-10-24 14:04:10

Mars_B4_Moon

Infowars Alex Jones. 'The most censored man in the world.'

https://twitter.com/VivekGRamaswamy/sta … 4400604434

and news website started by Daniel Ivandjiiski a Bulgarian-born, U.S.-based former investment banker

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ … echnocracy

'Alex Jones Asks Eddie Bravo About Flat Earth & the Moon Landings'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ku4zIJeSs

#22 2023-11-23 10:35:18

Mars_B4_Moon

A 'Truther' and conspiracy ideas Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappearance theories

however it is strange in our modern age that an aircraft of this size would simple 'vanish'

https://twitter.com/JustXAshton/status/ … 3003488607

#23 2023-11-25 16:17:22

Mars_B4_Moon

Man at Flat Earth Convention shares bizarre belief there's more than one sun in shocking interview
https://www.unilad.com/technology/space … 5-20231102
"So, how many suns are there?" the comic asked. The Flat-Earther replied: "As many people who are viewing it." So there are over seven billion suns, sir? I think not.

15 Flat Earthers Who Had Absolutely Wild Interactions With People
https://sg.style.yahoo.com/15-flat-eart … 03697.html

#24 2023-11-28 08:45:48

Mars_B4_Moon

Reality Tv Stars

Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino reveals he spent $500K on cocaine and oxycodone and once smuggled 200 pills to Italy while filming Jersey Shore
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a … riety.html
Flat Earther credits his college sweetheart-turned-wife Lauren Pesce Sorrentino and their two children for helping him stay sober and on the right path

#25 2023-11-29 06:52:52

Mars_B4_Moon

VFX Artists DEBUNK Flight MH370 Alien Abduction "Footage"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS58RJFXxyk

Fact Check: Do Videos Show MH370 Boeing 'Teleported' Away by UFOs?

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-do- … os-1818620

Board footer