New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2017-03-08 14:11:42

Scott Beach

Bonobos and the Empress of Mars

I recently downloaded a document titled Transform Your Life and Save the World Through Living In Support of the Biological Truth About the Human Condition (First Edition), authored by Jeremy Griffith and published in 2016 by the World Transformation Movement.

I wondered whether that document might contain something relevant to transforming Mars.  It does.  It contains the following paragraphs:

Researchers have also reported that ‘bonobos historically have existed in a stable environment rich in sources of food...and unlike chimpanzees have developed a more cohesive social structure’.  For example, ‘up to 100 bonobos at a time from several groups spend their night together.  That would not be possible with chimpanzees because there would be brutal fighting between rival groups.’

Note that what’s being said about bonobos is amazingly similar—well, it’s almost identical—to how Plato described our distant ancestors long before bonobos were even known of, which was that they ‘dwelt naked, and mostly in the open air...and they had no beds, but lay on soft couches of grass’. And, in Hesiod’s words, ‘They with abundant goods ’midst quiet lands / All willing shared the gathering of their hands.’

Bonobos’ unlimited capacity for love is also apparent in this truly amazing  first-hand account from researcher Vanessa Woods: ‘Bonobo love is like a laser beam. They stop. They stare at you as though they have been waiting their whole lives for you to walk into their jungle. And then they love you with such helpless abandon that you love them back. You have to love them back’.

And significantly, unlike other primate societies, bonobo society is matriarchal and focused on the nurturing of their infants, as this quote evidences: ‘Bonobo life is centered around the offspring. Unlike what happens among chimpanzees, all members of the bonobo social group help with infant care and share food with infants. If you are a bonobo infant, you can do no wrong...Bonobo females and their infants form the core of the group’.

All these descriptions (and you can read many more in chapter 5 of FREEDOM) provide powerful insights into how amazingly cooperative and loving bonobos, our closest living relative, are.

In a previous post I pondered the possibility that Mars might have an “Emperor” who performs specified ceremonial duties.  And I suggested that the government of Mars might be described as an “imperial republic”. 

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 88#p135088

The foregoing information about bonobos makes me think that the “Imperial Republic of Mars” should have an “Empress”, who appoints a “President” who presides over meetings of the “Parliament of Mars”.  The President would open each session of the Parliament by reminding its members that their first duty is to make Mars into the best place in the Solar System for children to grow up.

"It is possible to build a rational and humane culture completely free from the threat of supernatural restraints."  Arthur C. Clarke, The Songs of Distant Earth

#2 2017-03-08 14:26:32

Terraformer
Website

Re: Bonobos and the Empress of Mars

Yet out of chimpanzees, bonobos, and humans, we're the only ones capable of even contemplating settling Mars, in large part because we don't lounge around all day.

Your micronation bores me. Do you even sell fantasy passports?

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#3 2017-03-08 18:57:06

RobertDyck
Website

A lot of social scientists have studied chimpanzees and bonobos. Documentaries that I've seen on TV present a more balanced approach. Getting anything done requires an incentive, the rich world of bonobos encourages sloth. But too aggressive competition results in destruction. Humans have achieved balance. We cooperate so several individuals can work together, achieving tasks that cannot be accomplished by a single individual. And we can specialize, allowing much greater depth of skill than someone who has to spread his/her time and attention on many different skills. And for the most part we don't destroy each others work or steal. But at the same time we compete, which encourages individuals or small groups (companies) to develop new and better ways of doing things. We can survive in harsh environments that would not allow an ape to survive. One population of ancient humans moved to Siberia at the beginning of the last ice age. The beginning!!! Their food source was mega-fauna: mammoth, woolly rhinoceros, steppe bison, aurochs (ancestors of cattle), etc. The harsh environment forced them to evolve, becoming Mongoloid (Oriental). They couldn't survive without cooperation, and certainly didn't have a bountiful environment.

An interesting, related piece of trivia: there are 2 major species of Gorilla, mountain and lowland. These can be divided into subspecies, but there are 2 species. The genus is called "Gorillia". There are 2 species of genus Pan: chimpanzee and bonobo. And there were 2 species in the genus Homo: Homo Sapiens Sapiens (humans), and Homo Neanderthalensis (Neanderthal). So each genus of the family Hominidae has two species.

::Edit:: The family Hominidea is commonly known as great apes. Yes, that includes us. There is a 4th genus: Pongo. It also has 2 species: Bornean and Sumatran orangutan.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2017-03-09 06:34:56)

#4 2017-03-12 04:33:51

elderflower

Other now extinct hominins have been discovered eg Denisovans, Floresians.

#5 2017-03-12 08:37:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

This is more than likely the common ancestry tree due to many earth restarts due to near inhilation and global ice..

italian_exhibit_1.jpg

#6 2017-03-12 23:15:24

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

I don't think Chimpanzees and Bonobos would be very happy on Mars, they are tropical animals, and Mars is a cold place!

#7 2017-09-24 16:58:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

HUMINT = Human Intelligence.

The artificial intellegence machines which are in process are being shut down as the units are creating there own language....

#8 2017-10-14 22:39:16

Komiyama

I suppose one could make the same argument for those on Earth (ごめんなさい、 天皇陛下!), but what exactly would be the point of a ceremonial Emperor of Mars?

Earthling. Unprofessional writer. Bromancer.

#9 2017-10-15 03:19:05

clark

The point of a ceremonial Emperor on Mars is ceremony.

I think Mr. Beach is on to something.

Mars is a dead, barren rock of rust and red where two tiny zipping dots constitute moons and the sun is a sickly dim bulb shining down on we few, the crazy and delusional, who haven given up the open sky, sea and earth, sing merry hand in hand encased in metal while low gravity hallows us out from within.

I think it brilliant to have ceremony to fill this empty void. I think it brilliant to have the Emperor of Mars select our leader, because we are obviously mad to begin with, so leaving it to the crazies to decide who should lead them would just be insane.

And I for one think that any government of mars should stress the need to make Mars more hospitable, because you know, it really isn't.

I suggest the Mars credo should be something to the effect of, "Making a terrible idea, a little better."

Board footer