New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-09-19 11:44:53

louis

LENR - looking good

I've been a long time follower of progress on LENR/cold fusion. 

Looks like it is now becoming increasingly mainstream as indicated by this NASA-related patent application:

http://e-catworld.com/2017/09/19/lenr-a … reactions/

If this is really the beginning of the LENR era then, the debate over solar v fission nuclear for Mars may be redundant. .

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2017-09-19 17:04:28

elderflower

Re: LENR - looking good

This looks like pie-in-the-sky to me. To get to Mars in less than 20 years we will need to go with the chemical equipment that we have now or that is in the immediate pipeline. We could delay and wait for better but that wait could be extended indefinitely.

There is a tide in the affairs of men.....

#3 2017-09-19 18:05:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is a list of topics that we have talked about cold fusion in:

Cold Fusion - Is it real?
Cold Fusion
Cold fusion (LENR) is for real - NASA says so

And the most recent topic which you started....
Transmutation breakthrough?

#4 2017-09-20 03:15:34

louis

I was looking at it as an energy production technology - not a transport technology. I would agree that using LENR for space transport would be a long way off - not even sure if it would be feasible (you'd still need propellant wouldn't you? and the LENR machinery might be quite heavy). I agree chemical rockets are the way to go for the next few decades.

elderflower wrote:

This looks like pie-in-the-sky to me. To get to Mars in less than 20 years we will need to go with the chemical equipment that we have now or that is in the immediate pipeline. We could delay and wait for better but that wait could be extended indefinitely.

There is a tide in the affairs of men.....

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#5 2017-09-20 16:12:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

The fuel source may be deuterium, tritium, a combination thereof,

neutral nuclei when exposed to energetic electrons

Neutral versions of duteron and/or triton nuclei may be created by bringing neutrons with certain energy levels (e.g. around 3 MeV, but optionally less or much less than 3 MeV) into interaction with other neutrons, forming neutral versions of deuterons and/or tritons. Such processes may be used for power generation, heat production, nuclear waste remediation, material creation, and/or medical isotope production,

This transmutation requires a heat source to accelerate but once its starts it continues until all source of free electrons are gone. Its output is via heat to power the electrical generation process....

#6 2017-09-21 08:44:17

Oldfart1939

It would be nice if this works...

I remain a skeptic until the Pons-Fleischman experiment is totally reproduced, with an unequivocal result. Not a result that lies within the limits of probable error.

Board footer