New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-05-17 15:08:56

Phobos

Re: Scientifically Useless Things

I know it's not very scientifically sound and perhaps not worth
the expense, but personally, I'd love it if someone were
to attach a tv camera that could swivel 360 degrees in
all directions and a microphone to a Mars probe so we could
get a feeling for what it would be like to stand on Mars.  We could see how bright Jupiter and Earth is in the Martian
sky and what the moons look like at night.  I know it'd suck up power and bandwidth like a leech, but it might be something interesting to add to a sample return mission.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#2 2002-05-18 05:04:37

Christina

The Planetary Society's Mars Microphone was on board the Mars Polar Lander.

Andre Bormanis' article on what probably went wrong is in the Planetary Report  July/August 2000.

I expect there is something about it on this site too.

[i]the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese[/i]

#3 2002-05-18 13:09:39

Phobos

Wow, someone actually attached a microphone to a probe?  Figures that it malfunctioned, but I guess there's always a second chance.  Are there any photos of the Martian sky taken at night?  I'm really curious as to what you would to see.  Would you be able to easily see the four brightest moons of Jupiter for instance when the two planets
are at their closest point to each other?

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

Board footer