New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-08-29 12:29:39

The Contralmirante
Banned

Introducing myself

I've joined a few forums recently and all have an introduction thread. I was told off on one since I couldn't find that thread and skipped it, so I'm doing so here. I am an American writer, science aficionado and someone currently caught up, for personal reasons, with the various plans various people and nations have for space exploration in general and specifically the Red Planet. I look forward to seeing the many opinions and hopefully international opinions presented here on my research journey to understand the mentality of those looking for a colony on Mars.

#2 2017-08-29 15:01:25

jburk
Executive Director
Website

Re: Introducing myself

Welcome!  Always glad to see new folks on the forum!

James L. Burk
Executive Director, The Mars Society
jburk@marssociety.org
+1 (206) 601-7143

#3 2017-08-29 17:07:19

louis

I think you'll find any number of reasons why people might wish to settle Mars, just as there were many reasons why Europeans wanted to settle North America, or Zulus wanted to settle South Africa or Germans went to the Pacific or Aborigines moved from Asia to Australia.

Are you genuinely puzzled about why people might want to go to Mars?

The Contralmirante wrote:

I've joined a few forums recently and all have an introduction thread. I was told off on one since I couldn't find that thread and skipped it, so I'm doing so here. I am an American writer, science aficionado and someone currently caught up, for personal reasons, with the various plans various people and nations have for space exploration in general and specifically the Red Planet. I look forward to seeing the many opinions and hopefully international opinions presented here on my research journey to understand the mentality of those looking for a colony on Mars.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2017-09-01 22:19:17

The Contralmirante
Banned

louis wrote:

Yes and no. I have my own ideas, but I am working on a writing project that is about an international Mars Colony. This is because I think any nation that thinks their nation can be the only nation represented on an extra-planetary outpost without military repercussions is delusional. It's too key a tactical position. I know some issues that I think would drive people to flee Earth for the stars, but I'm American. I don't think other countries think quite the same. No offense. It's just that different culture and a different government or educational or religious foundation causes a different perspective on life in general. So I am wondering if there are issues or desired outcomes of having a Mars Colony that I haven't taken into consideration.

Thanks.

#5 2017-09-02 08:38:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

If other ISS partners ever give a dam about humans on mars they will join in and the internation colony will start.

#6 2017-09-02 10:30:45

RGClark
Website

Welcome to the forum! The Mars Society is holding its convention in California starting Thursday. Are you planning on attending?

THE 20TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL MARS SOCIETY CONVENTION.
University of California, Irvine
A311 Student Center
Irvine, CA 92697
September 7 - 10, 2017
http://www.marssociety.org/conventions/2017/

Bob Clark

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

#7 2017-09-02 13:20:01

louis

I'm from the UK not USA but I really don't see a problem with the USA leading on this.  The US has people from all races, cultures and religions: Asians, Africans, Europeans, Native Americans, Latin Americans...even Canadians are let in I believe.

If the US goes to Mars, the world will go with it.  But I don't think we should be encouraging states ruled by military or party dictatorships to set up shop on Mars, or religious nutjobs for that matter.

The Contralmirante wrote:
louis wrote:

Yes and no. I have my own ideas, but I am working on a writing project that is about an international Mars Colony. This is because I think any nation that thinks their nation can be the only nation represented on an extra-planetary outpost without military repercussions is delusional. It's too key a tactical position. I know some issues that I think would drive people to flee Earth for the stars, but I'm American. I don't think other countries think quite the same. No offense. It's just that different culture and a different government or educational or religious foundation causes a different perspective on life in general. So I am wondering if there are issues or desired outcomes of having a Mars Colony that I haven't taken into consideration.

Thanks.

#8 2017-09-02 14:48:14

RobertDyck
Website

louis wrote:

I don't think we should be encouraging ... religious nutjobs for that matter.

A large portion of America was settled by religious nutjobs. Pilgrims who arrived at Plymouth were a religious sect not accepted in England. They were middle class professionals, able to pay the price of a trans-Atlantic journey. Salt Lake City was founded by Mormons. There are probably more examples, but I'm Canadian.

I would prefer Mars be science based, not religious. However, some American members have suggested a religious colony as a reason to go. Just to mirror American history.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2017-09-02 14:48:59)

#9 2017-09-02 17:32:58

IanM
Banned

RobertDyck wrote:

I would prefer Mars be science based, not religious. However, some American members have suggested a religious colony as a reason to go. Just to mirror American history.

I agree, and I do believe that Martians will on average be less religious. Interestingly enough, the Puritans were the ancestors of much of American progressivism throughout the centuries and are almost certainly a net positive on American History, and such a Protestant Work Ethic might benefit Mars. Similarly, although more controversial the Mormons had a large role in building up Utah. That being said, Louis does have a point that for every religion like Puritanism or Mormonism there would be another one like Wahhabism or Southern Evangelicalism that is too stifling without a good side effect.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. -Paraphrased from Tsiolkovsky

#10 2017-09-03 04:43:03

louis

Yes, of course you are right...and that motivation hasn't gone away. Once Mars colonisation becomes a reality we will see a lot of religious groups try to set up colonies: Scientologists, Salafists, Shia, Seventh Day Adventists. My honest view is they should not be encouraged because they will be disruptive and divisive. 

RobertDyck wrote:
louis wrote:

I don't think we should be encouraging ... religious nutjobs for that matter.

A large portion of America was settled by religious nutjobs. Pilgrims who arrived at Plymouth were a religious sect not accepted in England. They were middle class professionals, able to pay the price of a trans-Atlantic journey. Salt Lake City was founded by Mormons. There are probably more examples, but I'm Canadian.

#11 2017-09-05 09:28:52

The Contralmirante
Banned

IanM wrote:
RobertDyck wrote:

I would prefer Mars be science based, not religious. However, some American members have suggested a religious c alolony as a reason to go. Just to mirror American history.

I agree, and I do believe that Martians will on average be less religious. Interestingly enough, the Puritans were the ancestors of much of American progressivism throughout the centuries and are almost certainly a net positive on American History, and such a Protestant Work Ethic might benefit Mars. Similarly, although more controversial the Mormons had a large role in building up Utah. That being said, Louis does have a point that for every religion like Puritanism or Mormonism there would be another one like Wahhabism or Southern Evangelicalism that is too stifling without a good side effect.

I was referring to the fact that religion is history that differs. Modern Europe and modern American mentalities differ as do our modern histories. I was also not saying a military outpost on Mars was a good idea. I was saying that if Americans colonized Mars alone, Russia, China and possibly some Middle Eastern companies would bomb the colony, not wanting America to have the advantage. Why I think an international effort is necessary to colonize Mars peacefully.

Board footer