New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2017-05-17 21:37:12

jburk
Executive Director
Website

Re: Ask Robert Zubrin *Official Thread*

LOL Dave.  Let's prioritize these bc I don't want to overwhelm the moderator (Bill H.)

James L. Burk
Executive Director, The Mars Society
jburk@marssociety.org
+1 (206) 601-7143

#27 2017-05-17 23:32:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

Jburk, I would hope that Dave would create a few of these for topic discussion as we do have resources for some already here that can answer a few of them....

#28 2017-05-18 03:51:28

RobertDyck
Website

Dave_Duca wrote:

- Do the Analogs maintain a "Ship's Log" while they're in commission?

Here it is... The page will gave the latest "Ship's log". As I post this, the latest one is dated May 12. To the right are links for other days, and other MDRS field seasons.
Mars Desert Research Station

Daily Summary – May 12th

Crew 180 Daily Summary Report 120517

MDRS Daily Summary Report for sol 11

Summary Title: (We prepared together with Yair an Camilo all the necessary for the launching of their stratosphere balloon and the astratos capsule. It was successful. However, they lost the capsule and the balloon).

Mission Status: (All are fine)

Sol Activity Summary: We worked in our projects and additionally we started organizing and cleaning. All together launched the balloon and for some minutes all was fine. Now, they lost the capsule and the balloon because the rope broke)

Look Ahead Plan: (We will clean and pack. We will welcome crew 181 and we will come back to earth)

Anomalies in work: (The normal procedures from the hab)

Weather: Sunny and windy

Crew Physical Status: All are fine

EVA: (No EVAs today)

Reports to be file: (Journalist, engineering report)*** They are helping Camilo and Yair and they are late. So probably they will send it after 9 p.m.

Support Requested: We will call the Hanskville airport to let them know. We are worried about this capsule to hit someone when it will fall down. Do you have an advice?.

Later we will send the general report of the crew.

Prepared by Yendry

Just one question that Dr. Zubrin himself doesn't have to answer.

#29 2017-05-18 06:18:46

Dave_Duca

jburk - I'm on it
SpaceNut - Pertinent questions-for-action, versus no answers from Staff, because Dr. Zubrin is the Alpha.
RobertDyck - That Link is a parallel to the facebook equivalent of space camp prattle of sophomore vernacular.

Will be my pleasure to put-on-Topic Subjects.

Though, I see them having more use - when put to action - as in, actual prototypes.
And sending these prototypes to the Analogs - to be "proven over time".

Jeepers... I was just getting warmed up  lol

Last edited by Dave_Duca (2017-05-27 07:19:35)

#30 2017-05-18 17:29:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Tier 1 requires no funds and as RobertDyck post indicates that we might be quite pluged in for the answers that you are seeking with the questions.
Tier 2 can only be identified from conversational check and discussion as to possible answers. This may require some funds from Mars Society to make happen but are with the budgetary capability of the organization.
Tier 3 is answered only after going through the process to identify what we can do as other with a more capable funding means must execute the response that we seek answers for. Then again some of the these questions are active by these other better funded organizations and while they have foot the cost we can collectively review the results to formulate a sub set of questions that have not been answered and it is this process that results in a new tier 1 or 2 work on the original question to start aknew.

#31 2017-05-19 05:33:45

Dave_Duca

If we can stay "on mission" here.
This is the "Ask Dr. Zubrin 'Official Thread'"

No one speaks for Dr. Robert Zubrin. That would be derisive.
He is "the Alpha" of the organization

This input is a series of questions asked by anyone.
Like: the public or, high end aerospace moguls.

I could've easily compiled a prioritized list to James Burk.
As a matter of fact, I already have.

And James said" "So keep the questions coming!"

"Anyone" could ask these questions. And, that 'anyone' might be
the person who has 10 million dollars to contribute.

Last edited by Dave_Duca (2017-05-19 08:16:17)

#32 2017-05-19 19:17:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

What TMS mars gravity level experiments and interaction to long term human health are ongoing?

What coronal mass ejection project systems are being worked on for the outgoing or return trip protection?

#33 2017-05-20 08:48:54

Dave_Duca

Dr. Zubrin,

Have you seen the recent discovery of Methanization of CO2 + 2H2O using the Plasma process?
http://www.plasapar.com/en/plasma-catal … ion-of-co2

Would you entertain a similar method, thus using fewer parts, energy, and weight?

Last edited by Dave_Duca (2017-06-11 05:38:06)

#34 2017-06-11 05:50:38

Dave_Duca

Dr. Zubrin,

Understood, our Society is limited in function owing to volunteers,
It's nice that the MDRS Team update "their info" on facebook and the MDRS website.

Once in a while I like to ask the Crew Members a question.
Usually about what they're doing or, what are the results of their experiments.
So... "who ever" is answering back on facebook.... isn't.... in any way, shape, or form.

Is there someone in charge I can have these questions passed though WITHOUT OPINION or BIAS?

#35 2017-06-11 06:35:33

RobertDyck
Website

You could ask him face-to-face. Mars Society convention this year is University of California, Irvine on September 7 - 10, 2017.
Convention Registration

A number of years ago Dr. Zubrin spoke at a class at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks. The local chapter in North Dakota invited members from North Dakota and Manitoba to attend. I went with one other member, introduced him to Dr. Zubrin. My friend was really excited. And Dr. Zubrin recognized me, bugged me to attend conventions. I hadn't show up in a while. He really wants people to attend conventions, and is willing to talk to you. You should go.

#36 2017-06-11 07:42:37

Dave_Duca

Thank you Robert... truly,
  Almost shed a few tears before reading the end of your posting.
To be asked by you, Robert, and other professionals is taken personally.
( getting a James Stewart - It's a Wonderful Life sort of feeling here )

Would not hesitate to engage into a session, if I wasn't stuck at this location.
I can not just pop onto a plane and go.... David is indigent.... literally.
Had been asked about a teaching profession, though I don't fancy tenure.
Going to Mars is easier.

David is not barred from the freedoms to build devices and influence.
It's age discrimination thwarting a good job that prevents my freedom to roam about.
Funny though... I prefer driving cross-country and enjoying the landscape.

To actually be there at the convention and speaking my call for paper.
Is like; unleashing Patch Adams to cure the Black Plague ( well, it sounded cool ).

I'd be lucky just to get a call from Dr. Zubrin.
Truly.... thank you Robert.

#37 2017-06-11 10:12:51

Dave_Duca

Dr. Zubrin,

Would you entertain a program to revive all retired and abandoned Radio Telescopes and,
have them Re-Purposed for Telecommunications for Mars?

Last edited by Dave_Duca (2017-06-11 10:20:12)

#38 2017-06-30 12:19:03

Dave_Duca

Dr. Zubrin,
Given that we are graced with current state-of-the-art, at lower prices...
...could our Analog EVA Suit Helmets' ever be upgraded with something
similar to the DigiLens System, recently released?

http://www.digilens.com/news/digilens-g … rcyclists/

#39 2017-06-30 13:41:17

RobertDyck
Website

The powers-that-be do listen. I had argued years ago to operate FMARS for a whole year. My argument was if we can't handle cold and isolation in the Canadian arctic, then how could we handle Mars? At the time they rejected my argument, but are currently preparing for MA-365. So they're doing it!

I had also claimed that the Mars Direct architecture is excellent, but the Achilles heel was the ERV. The hab has plenty of room and used rotation for artificial gravity in transit to Mars, but return was just a capsule in zero-G. They responded with a contest to redesign the ERV.

Members of the previous forum in 1999 convinced me MCP spacesuit is the best for Mars. One member sent me a photocopy of the original article by Paul Webb published in 1967. Amazing! So I've argued a Mars helmet would be head-worn like Mercury or Gemini. That's based on Dr. Webb's MCP prototype. It also solves a safety issue at analog sites, wearing a helmet while driving an ATV. I've argued that same safety issue will exist on Mars. So an MCP suit would have a helmet similar to a motorcycle closed-face helmet. So why don't we use an actual closed-face motorcycle helmet with our analogue suits? Seal the breathing vents to hoses connected to the PLSS, which uses a battery to drive a fan. So the battery provides real PLSS time limit, just like current analog suits.

In 2001 the Canadian Mars Society worked on a data logger for analog suits. I suggested a Compaq iPaq flashed with QNX, because at the time I worked for an employer that developed software for QNX, and that operating system was used for the space station arm vision system. A pocket sewn into one suit forearm with an opening for the display. And a serial cable to a microcontroller in the PLSS to control the fan and monitor battery voltage. Today you would use a smart phone. Blackberry bought QNX, all modern Blackberry devices run it. You could argue for an Android device, just for accessibility to install a custom app.

But is your DigiLens system compatible with a smart phone?

#40 2017-06-30 21:09:01

Dave_Duca

Pardon the grammar...
"DigiLens is "a compatible" system with bluetooth and wi-fi.

The Digi' has the full AR capabilities.

Truly amazing,  our present day "google apps" run the full gamut of IP/Bluetooth.
The EVA Suits could even be fitted with a wrist communicator and Telemetry HMI...

Surprised the MDRS/FMARS "Medical Teams" haven't used that technique 14 years ago.

Last edited by Dave_Duca (2017-07-30 06:59:17)

#41 2017-07-25 10:07:07

Dave_Duca

Dr. Zubrin,
  The recent FMARS 160 has a participant who
is a  member of the "MDRS CAPCOM Program".

In your words, can you tell us what that program is, please?

Last edited by Dave_Duca (2017-07-25 11:21:20)

#42 2017-07-25 14:32:38

jburk
Executive Director
Website

The CAPCOMs are typically volunteers who take 2-3 hours shifts every night when a crew is at the MDRS and they monitor communications and provide any assistance the crew needs.  The crew is bandwidth limited at MDRS so sometimes the Capcoms can do basic research for them or coordinate resolving a logistical issue. 

We always need more CAPCOMs so if anybody is interested (the next field season starts in Dec), then contact Shannon Rupert (srupert@marssociety.org)

James L. Burk
jburk@marssociety.org
+1 (206) 601-7143

#43 2017-08-27 22:15:21

jburk
Executive Director
Website

Hi all,

I will be interviewing Dr. Zubrin at the convention to create some video footage that we can later use for promotional videos and other purposes.

So I have to come up with a bunch of questions to ask him. So I was reminded of this thread smile. Please continue to add to it and I will be sure and get your questions answered (on video!)

James L. Burk
jburk@marssociety.org
+1 (206) 601-7143

#44 2017-08-28 16:06:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nice looking forward to viewing footage when posted. I am sure that there are lots of question as to where Mars Societies place is in the theme of space travel to mars and what can it work on with its limited funds.

#45 2017-11-30 07:27:09

JoshNH4H
Website

As far as variable renewables go, wind and solar are decent complements because their variabilities aren't correlated, and if anything are somewhat anti-correlated (bad weather tends to bring less sunlight and more wind).

In principle, variable renewable energy + storage could account for 100% of power demand, as long as the amount of storage you have is based on good numbers for the variability of supply and demand throughout the year. 

The bigger issues are cost and scale.  Solar and wind prices have been dropping steadily, and battery prices have too.  Including the costs of storage, it's probably not there now but that doesn't mean it won't get there.  It might be there now if you were to account for the costs imposed by the use of fossil fuels.

Speaking long-term, the thing I'm most concerned about as far as renewables are concerned is a lithium shortage, because it's a pretty rare element and it's very conceivable we can run out.  This would drive up prices.  In that case, we could either mine it in space (fine with me!) or wherever possible use batteries based on a different element.  I have suggested Sodium in the past, because its chemistry is similar to lithium (power and energy density would be way worse but this doesn't necessarily matter for stationary power) but its frequency is much higher.

Of course, if I were dictator I would start a crash program to improve and deploy nuclear power.  But we live in a democracy, which all things considered is a good thing.  People dislike nuclear power for reasons that I can understand, even if I don't agree with them.  Given that, renewables+storage seems like a decent compromise option.

-Josh

#46 2017-11-30 08:31:02

Terraformer
Website

What's the question, though?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#47 2017-11-30 13:47:41

JoshNH4H
Website

I'm not sure how this post ended up in this thread... Meant to post it wherever we were talking about renewables

-Josh

#48 2020-10-25 06:38:54

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re topic ...

Thanks for bringing this initiative back into view ...

It appears that Dr. Zubrin's schedule did not allow for time to engage with Dave_Duca or any of his predecessors.

(th)

#49 2020-10-25 08:29:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

Time to see if there is another avenue on the societies home pages to see if we can make any in roads on how to make not only this forum better but get more hands involved with getting man to mars.

First question is sort of for the newmars home page as to whether there is still a societies direct drive to make use of the Space X Falcon Heavy to create a base in four launches or is that gone?

Discussed in Dr. Robert Zubrin Moon Direct: How to build a moonbase in four years

If its still on the plate how far is the society towards that funding goal?

Whom would be the crew to go or how one might be selected?

With all the work that has gone on we are looking for those steps to get behind the Mars Society in order to achive the goals of going to the moon and to Mars.

Board footer