New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-01-01 18:48:53

oker56
Banned

Re: why we can't get public and political support

you want to know what the problem is with people not seeing the value of space development?  Because people keep trying or just not for some reason connecting space development with economic, national security, and health care.  If we develop out in space, we can do all those things a whole hell of a lot more effectivelly.  Why this message isn't getting to our leaders who seem hell bent to perform industrial growth here on earth till they destory it is a major problem.

#27 2003-03-25 09:57:35

Gennaro

Re: why we can't get public and political support

To return to the initial post. I think it's entirely a question about who those political leaders are and what they represent. Some people think private enterprise will go to space before governments do. I doubt that. The main concern for big business is the balance sheet of the upcoming quarter. It couldn't care less about a stony desert called Mars which won't pay off for generations.
Similarly, typically western, career driven, free market democracy politicians, mainly representing those same short sighted financial interests, won't ever make it to Mars.
It will have to be politicians that are prepared to lead and to infringe on the free market mechanizations, creating a bigger return later on. Keynesian minded people with a vision, the LaRouches of this world rather than the monetaristic, neoconservative Bush's.

Well, maybe Lyndon LaRouche is a little crazy, I don't know him too well, but at least he's got visions and wants to do something. At least, that's my opinion.

Board footer