New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-07-13 20:53:36

Commodore

Re: Split Up NASA? - Separate Agency For Each Destination?

http://www.space.com/adastra/adastra_as … .html]NASA must Establish the Moon and Mars Astronaut Corps

Sure, a dedicated PR team and cheerleading squad would be helpful, but if were going to do that we should go a step furthur, to reorganize the agency to provide a balanced view of the solar system. First off the Air Force should take over the Aeronautics portion of  NASA. An F-18 that flaps its wings does nothing for space exploration. Too bad we already have an NSA, cause we can't confuse the post office. Even the Earth observation missions could be taken over by the national weather service or NOAA or USGS.

But I think if we organize the agency around destinations, it would force each group to create a more unified and thought out strategy for what should be accomplished at each place.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#2 2005-07-14 03:57:42

Grypd

I believe that two agencies would end up fighting each other as to exactly where each agency's remit ended. Not to mention that there would then be a need for two bureacracies and two agencies fighting to get funding each year.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#3 2005-07-14 04:07:27

Palomar

I believe that two agencies would end up fighting each other as to exactly where each agency's remit ended. Not to mention that there would then be a need for two bureacracies and two agencies fighting to get funding each year.

*Agreed.  Seems like merely multiplying the problems...  ::sigh:: 

--Cindy

P.S.:  Besides, NASA does generally do very splendidly with probes, robots, etc.  Why risk jeopardizing those as well with a split?

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2005-07-14 04:59:29

Martin_Tristar

I think NASA as a Holding Agency would be great , but the structure underneath should be grouped into three main categories :

1. Earth-centric  : Space Activities and Aeronautics

2. Lunar-centric  :Space Activities

3. Outer Space - centric : Space Activities starting with Mars.

4. General Administration of the Agency.

Thsi would streamline the agency and then focus of the functions at in-hand and lines of control to group heads then to the NASA Administrator with a simple executive committee. Each Group would have an Executive committee consisting of the Project heads for their activities under the group activities. and they would function as the group management structure. When you look over the world the US Agencies and Corporations are heavy in the middle and senior executive levels per lower management and operational staff that work at the development end, We need to provide more developers and project resources and less middle management positions.

#5 2017-06-12 18:07:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed another for artifacts and shift but at  least it was a small one......

Board footer