New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-05-25 18:34:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

What is this science for Mars first mission?

The rovers are just about the science however painfully slow to get to the answers that Human can do in by far shorter time.
The rovers have given us very good images to tell what we will find, we have done the mineral studies, water locked up in glaciers as spotted by orbiting satelites.

So what is the science that we really desire?

What are the unanswered questions?

We will be on mars for the first mission be there 550 days before return and will be repeating it multiple times.

So just how much is there to this science, how long will it take to get the science done and out of the way?

#2 2017-05-25 18:44:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: What is this science for Mars first mission?

louis wrote:

I am guessing:

1. Geology/minerals

2. Mapping/topography

3. Evidence of Mars life.

4. Seeking out meteorites.

5. Atmospheric measurement.

6. Methane sourcing.

7. Seismology.

8. Magnetic science. 

SpaceNut wrote:

What is this science for Mars first mission?

Can we create a list? Making topic for this....

#3 2017-05-25 18:48:02

Oldfart1939

Search. For. Life.
Geologists getting samples for microscopic examination, looking for fossil evidence of bacteria or other primitive organisms. Searching for biologically produced amino acids and other complex organic molecules. Doing extensive testing of the Liniae for specific salt contents. Detailed water analysis. Mostly all chemistry, geology, and hopefully, biology.

#4 2017-05-25 18:48:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

items 1, 2, 4, 6 (if not biological produced) are seudo sciences and are for future use while 3,5,6,7,8 are what I feel touch on science in order to control the future of mars for continued life on its sufface.

#5 2017-05-25 19:12:35

louis

Pseudo science?  I don't think you really mean that...maybe "soft science".  For me geology/minerals is definitely no. 1 because that enables the Mars industrialisation process. I am kind of hoping we don't find fossils! If we do the UN and 101 other bodies will be trying to put up "Do Not Touch" notices all over Mars.

SpaceNut wrote:

items 1, 2, 4, 6 (if not biological produced) are seudo sciences and are for future use while 3,5,6,7,8 are what I feel touch on science in order to control the future of mars for continued life on its sufface.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#6 2017-05-25 19:24:23

Oldfart1939

We simply tell Earthbound bodies to F.O! For me, the thought of finding evidence of life-past is my impetus for going. The UN and the 101 other agencies need to be there to enforce their edicts.

#7 2017-05-25 21:58:05

Dave_Duca

This is an interesting list.
Thank you 'Nut for addressing Louis' query.

We all ponder on what the best science is, outside of nasa's limelight.
Their approach has been superficial and straining for answers found at 4cm depth.

On our planet, every means and technique of how we look at ourselves with
geodesics, magnetometrics, magnetometallurics, and tomography are time-proven.

As I'm typing this, the shadow of Jim Martin Jr. is directly behind me.
"What would Jim do?" of how to approach solving the first obstacle(s).

We would most likely desire to achieve several major tasks, packed into
one unmanned Autonomous Lander / Launcher / Sample Return.

We have the means to scale down a "Geodesics Package" to actually purvey a
more meaningful answer of "soil signatures" of depths of about 200 feet.

There are ISRU devices to be put to work and prove to us that a return craft
can actually refuel and prep for launch.

Actually prototyping a working model and get past this one plight.

Make this a mission driven directive and watch it unfold.

Last edited by Dave_Duca (2017-05-26 07:29:40)

#8 2017-05-26 07:57:51

Oldfart1939

Here is a previous thread: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7573

I proposed a science lab for Mars, based on my some 50 years experience as a laboratory Chemical Professional.

Last edited by Oldfart1939 (2017-05-26 07:58:12)

#9 2017-05-26 17:09:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

I can see how a lab might introduce certain science actions to be take and we would have that equipment to make use of.

Back to Lious list the Atmospheric measurement and Methane source are being looked at by the constellation of satelites and in particular MAVEN. With the methane ground level follow up will depend on distance to the methane measured. If possible then the science of determining how the methane is created will follow.

Magnetic science and siesmic are also overlapping in that they both relate to the core. This is more like setting up stations to monitor and maybe sound some sort of explosion created tests to fill in data but then a agin we need station across the entire planet to monitor this with.

Geology/minerals and Mapping/topography do go hand in hand but other than for indentification of localized resources for insitu use, possible gem stones, fossils even at a micro size leaves most of this for future follow on missions that land at other sites. To which  planning stages are being met by mapping topography for possible easy routes to travel on.

Board footer