New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#426 2017-05-19 16:56:26

kbd512

Re: Orion (CEV / SM) - status

SpaceNut,

I agree.  Continue the life support and avionics systems development from Orion, but kill the capsule program.

Here's what we have or will have in the immediate future for crewed flights:
Dragon 2
Dream Chaser
Starliner

Here's what we have for robotic flights:
Cygnus (could also be used as a crewed deep space module and lander with appropriate propulsion)
Cygnus Enhanced (could also be used as crewed deep space module, but it's a tad too tall and heavy for landing)
Dragon
X-37B

Current Rockets:
Atlas V
Falcon 9
Pegasus XL

Near Future:
New Glenn
Stratolaunch
SLS
Vulcan
Vulcan Heavy

There are a slew of capabilities between all of those systems.  That's enough, already.  There's no need for a massive capsule like Orion.  Something has to go to get the development funding for the life support, kick stage, and lander technologies.

#427 2017-05-19 20:23:39

Oldfart1939

Re: Orion (CEV / SM) - status

kbd512 wrote:

SpaceNut,

I agree.  Continue the life support and avionics systems development from Orion, but kill the capsule program.

There's no need for a massive capsule like Orion.  Something has to go to get the development funding for the life support, kick stage, and lander technologies.

I agree completely, but NASA has "other plans," since none of the other systems were "invented here." (At NASA).

Board footer