New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-04-20 04:25:09

louis

Art Hab

We discuss here a lot of scientific, technological and even administrative aspects of Mars settlement.

But art and culture get overlooked. I'd like to redress the balance with a few observations:-

1.  Whilst I don't think art and creative culture will be a major element in Mission One, they will have their place. Photography and film have an artistic element to them.  As we saw with the beautiful and arresting "Earthrise" Apollo image, photographs from space can have a profound effect on our culture on Earth.  The Earthrise photo helped kickstart the environmental/green movement which is now a big presence in all countries on Earth. Iconic film and photos will be key in generating on Earth support for continued Mars settlement.

2.  Film of Mars and "reality TV" style programmes plus latest news could form the basis for a Mars TV channel  which I think would prove popular to subscribers across the 7 billion people on Earth.  No reason I think why they shouldn't get at least 10 million subscribers across the globe.   

3. Art is big business. There are a number of ways in which art could contribute to funding of Mars settlement. Many modern artists are extremely wealthy and prepared to invested huge amounts of money in their projects.  Damien Hirst is said to have invested more than a one hundred million dollars of his own money.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig … believable

Artists like Hirst would, I believe be tempted to invest huge amounts to take their place in history as the first or one of the first artists to create art on Mars. Hirst wouldn't have to go to Mars, he could simply communicate his instructions to other artists or personnel who would then create the art object on the surface of Mars e.g. a sculpture or stone patterns.  Although, located on Mars, these art objects could probably still be sold on Earth  - certainly images of them could be copyrighted.

4. Images from Mars could be sold on Earth as posters, to magazines, newspapers and so on. Similarly with film rights showing exploration missions etc, with certain news outfits on Earth paying to get exclusive access. I think all major modern art Museums on Earth would want to add at least a few artefacts from Mars into their collections.

5.  There is no society on Earth that doesn't have a strong component for the imagination, for art and for creative culture. I'd like to see a dedicated Art Hab on Mars with studio space where visual artists, musicians, photographers, writers and others can work on their ideas and produce cultural artefacts: paintings, sculpture, engravings, films, novels, stories, music and so on.  This could be funded from sales on Earth in which the Mars Consortium would take perhaps a 50% share. I see no reason why paintings, small sculptures,  and limited edition prints wouldn't generate tens of  millinos of dollars of revenue every year back on Earth.

6.  I believe art and culture will be important to the psychological health of the nascent Mars colony.  The Art Hab's role would also be to make the Mars settlement an interesting and attractive place to live in.  So, yes, let's have painting being hung on the walls of the habs. 
Let's have Rovers with transfer markings. In particular let's have lots of sculpture around the base. I'd like to see the first base become its own sculpture park.

7.  There could be interactive art on Mars.  People on Earth could pay for rovers to make stone displays on Mars.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2017-04-20 06:19:11

RobS
Banned
Website

Re: Art Hab

In my Mars novel, an artist collected surface materials of different color (white salt, dark basalt, sandstones of yellow and brown) and made labyrinths for walking outside. She also made artistic designs on the ground that one could see from inside. The geologists collected the materials for her on their expeditions. They also collected unusually shaped ventifacts (wind-carved rocks) and salt weathered rocks (think: driftwood art on Earth). There were murals inside pressurized structures. Later when Mars had a few thousand people there was a ballet program for the kids (huge leaps!). Because astronauts tend to be overachieving kids, there were amateur theatre troops, symphonies, rock bands, water color painters, and sculptors working in clay. Electronic art was big, too; it could be exported easily. A Department of Culture encouraged these achievements and provided money for them. Marsian songs developed as well, some with patriotic implications. (Note: I use the adjective "Martian" to refer to the planet and its natural aspects and "Marsian" to refer to its cultural and social aspects and its terrestrial ecologies).

Once there were a thousand or so people, from a dozen or two cultures, there were cultural fairs when people would, for example, celebrate Chinese culture and food on a Saturday. There was a big annual fair with national booths and people wore ethnic clothing. The American western band was very popular.

Basketball was the most popular inside sport, once there was room for a small basketball court. Up on Phobos, once there were larger interior enclosures, the game of striker developed (think of it as zero gee team handball or basketball). Phobos eventually even had a few professional striker teams that were followed by fans on Earth. When there were really large enclosures on the surface, Martian football/soccer teams developed and each "outpost" had its own, which competed against each other.

#3 2017-04-20 08:39:45

louis

Great ideas there Rob! smile  I think, because the weather is essentially so mild (leaving aside the temperature) that stone patterning will be an essential Aresian art form.  (I like to use Aresian for the future people of Mars and Marsian for non-human aspects of Mars).

Yes, ventifactual art sounds v. plausible.

Yes, I agree about electronic art.  It will be v. exportable - shown as installations on Earth  but also it can be displayed on screens (or E Paper) within the Habs.

Given the prevailing temperature, there may well be some form of ice art developed.

As we may hanker after the beautiful greens of our home planet, there may well be a desire to place, around the base,  artificial shrubs and trees. At a pub I occasionally visit in London they have a v. nice green "wall" that most people assume is vegetation but is in fact completely artificial.  Not sure if that would stand up to Marsian temperatures but perhaps with the right materials that could be replicated on Mars.

I am sure a Mars Consortium would devote some money to art, just as they would devote some money to the writing of a formal history of the colony.

However, as indicated in my post, I also think there is huge earning potential from art on Mars.

RobS wrote:

In my Mars novel, an artist collected surface materials of different color (white salt, dark basalt, sandstones of yellow and brown) and made labyrinths for walking outside. She also made artistic designs on the ground that one could see from inside. The geologists collected the materials for her on their expeditions. They also collected unusually shaped ventifacts (wind-carved rocks) and salt weathered rocks (think: driftwood art on Earth). There were murals inside pressurized structures. Later when Mars had a few thousand people there was a ballet program for the kids (huge leaps!). Because astronauts tend to be overachieving kids, there were amateur theatre troops, symphonies, rock bands, water color painters, and sculptors working in clay. Electronic art was big, too; it could be exported easily. A Department of Culture encouraged these achievements and provided money for them. Marsian songs developed as well, some with patriotic implications. (Note: I use the adjective "Martian" to refer to the planet and its natural aspects and "Marsian" to refer to its cultural and social aspects and its terrestrial ecologies).

Once there were a thousand or so people, from a dozen or two cultures, there were cultural fairs when people would, for example, celebrate Chinese culture and food on a Saturday. There was a big annual fair with national booths and people wore ethnic clothing. The American western band was very popular.

Basketball was the most popular inside sport, once there was room for a small basketball court. Up on Phobos, once there were larger interior enclosures, the game of striker developed (think of it as zero gee team handball or basketball). Phobos eventually even had a few professional striker teams that were followed by fans on Earth. When there were really large enclosures on the surface, Martian football/soccer teams developed and each "outpost" had its own, which competed against each other.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2021-09-10 05:19:01

Mars_B4_Moon

Out of this world: Seaside artist creates 'spacescapes'
https://www.seasidesignal.com/out-of-th … b8125.html
Comets and Meteors, the Decisive Centuries, in British Art and Science
https://www.cambridge.org/cu/academic/s … nd-science

As for Space Politics ...investigating Hunter Biden's artwork
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … twork.html

Overall my feeling on art....No modern art please .... or as little as the whole 'Contemporary Art Movement' thing as possible...leave that stuff on Earth with the other religions and modern drunken drug addicts doing to art galleries and cults

There is Real Art.
You have another topic here
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8234
Culture, craft and art on Mars.
and
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9882   » Curbing cabin fever on Mars...

The music thing, there has been a Mars Athem discussed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj8-NcyULps
SpaceNut in anotehr thread also discussed 3-D printing tech to make a type of Wind Intrument and exports of a "Made on Mars" comes to mind to sell for more musical materials, sound instruments and other things that colonists would need and want

Finally

'How to Draw a Mars Base'
https://rumble.com/vm7dtz-how-to-draw-a-mars-base.html

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-09-10 05:20:21)

#5 2022-09-06 04:14:38

Mars_B4_Moon

Will DALL-E the AI Artist Take My Job? I decided to put my AI competition to the test.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article … y-job.html

#6 2022-09-14 10:41:58

Mars_B4_Moon

Artificial intelligence is here in our entertainment. What does that mean for the future of the arts?

https://techxplore.com/news/2022-09-art … -arts.html

Houston artist creates mural at Johnson Space Center, meets astronauts at Cape Canaveral

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/arti … ce-center/

Astronaut’s photo from ISS shows Earth in a different light

https://www.digitaltrends.com/space/ast … ent-light/

The future of AI in music is now. Artificial Intelligence was in the music industry long before FN Meka.

https://www.grid.news/story/technology/ … e-fn-meka/

AI-enabled virtual humans become a craze in China

https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/272 … e-in-china

Luya, a virtual singer who was admitted to a Chinese music college in this year's back-to-school season, stole the limelight recently.

Vocal music learners at the Shanghai Conservatory of Music can sit in their classes with a digital classmate capable of singing in a characterful, true-to-life vocal tone, entirely driven by Artificial Intelligence (AI) algorithms.

The pink-haired anime girl, developed by iFLYTEK, China's leading AI and speech tech company, is an example of the new industrial fad and fashion in the country, which highlights a strong impetus in the corporate sector to go digital, though some consider it an advertising stunt.

Last month, NetDragon, a Fuzhou-based online gaming developer, appointed a virtual rotating CEO for its subsidiary, vowing to "fully promote the company's AI-enabled management strategy and the drive to build a metaverse structure," according to its release.

It is unclear how this female top executive named Tang Yu, who has been working for the company for five years, can improve the IT firm's managerial expertise, but NetDragon has tried to demonstrate that its AI employment initiative is not merely hype.

Since 2018, a group of AI-enabled virtual managers hired by the company have processed over 300,000 applications, issued about 500,000 business alerts and handed out some 1,200 rewards and penalties, most of them daily routines.

#7 2022-10-15 17:38:11

Mars_B4_Moon

'A bird sings “Barbie Girl” by Aqua'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3NNEmxzzSE

Not exactly 'high art'?
or What on Mars will be viewed as a high art that will be eligible to be considered 'high culture'?

Mars will have a very long Winter and a very long Summer, we know AI and software can make song but what will inspire the humans on the Martian colony.

So here is one thing I overlooked, the 'nature' the Mars land will inspire its artist sound and creature and elements that occupy a new space of Mars, the musical ears of Mars will take inspiration from the machine, the animals in Biosphere, the sands and wind moving, little noises from water or birds or insects or lizard and machines inside your Biodomes they will probably inspire music.

Do animals on Earth for example have perfect pitch?  Eurasian Blackbird’s song bears resemblance to the 1997 hit “Barbie Girl” by Aqua...so which came first, did the pop band Aqua take the song from Blackbirds or did the Blackbird listen to someone playing it on their phone or car radio and copy the tune, there is also a possibility birds came up with the notes before mankind and its pop tunes, 'invented' the tones first and perhaps birds might have their own folk music and pass music through generation. Or maybe both human and birds came up with the same notes independently. To copy something exactly Absolute-pitch or 'Perfect pitch' is needed in animals, it is the rare ability of a human person to identify or re-create a given musical set of notes without the benefit of a reference tone, they say classical composers Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin and Handel all had 'perfect pitch'. Even if a person never played or remixed this song they might recognize it, I think the bird naturally transposed the song down half a tone to suit its own Bird vocalization or Birdsong, I think the original song might be 'A-Major' and the bird took it down half a step to A flat Major or G sharp which would be an awkward key to play in for some. What most musicians have when they sing or play an instrument is a strong sense of 'Relative pitch' this is the ability of a person or musician to identify or re-create a given musical note by comparing it to a reference note or root note, most people hear pitch well even if they think they don't. People who don't hear music well are sometimes called 'tone deaf' they say 4% of the population are tone deaf, unable to perceive differences of musical pitch accurately.

It has become easier than ever to make music with the aid of electronic instruments and audio engineering software but I still believe if humans are on Mars some of them will want to have their own natural local made instrument and be inspired by the local soundscape. On Earth the classical "Flight of the Bumblebee" is probably a classical orchestral piece by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov that most people of the world would know even if they did not listen to Classical Music. Composers have listened and tried to be inspired by birdsong for as long as they have been writing music, Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 ‘Pastoral’, there was Elgar 'Owls' which he once thought his own song meant 'nothing' it had no menaing he said but it turned out to be a valuable song for people writing moody pieces of sparse atmosphere and emotion. A good composer could perhaps be inspired by anything the sound of grains of dust, a dog howling, a dolphin, maybe even artificial sound like a train or mechanical engine. People making sounds for movies and tv shows sometimes experiment with sounds from the outside or modern experimentalism composers using real instruments, nature and electronic sound like Chris Hughes, Steve Reich taking sounds from nature slowly the pulse down and making them more ambient, spacey, mesmerizing  hypnotic. In pop, electronic disco and blues and rock and country they were inspired by nature, wind and sun and weather Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crows Soak up the Sun, U2 song Beautiful Day, Raindrops Keep Fallin on my Head, Singing in the Rain, Terry Jacks Seasons In The Sun or maybe Mars will sing about the Cold as Scandinavia, Native Americans, Korean, Chinese or Japanese Folk Song about Winter Nights. Perhaps Mars will have 'Winter Songs' like 'Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow' sung by vocalists like Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Michael Bublé, Carly Simon, Dean Martin or Looks Like A Cold, Cold Winter by Ingrid Michaelson or the Winter Song by Chris Rea, Misty by Kate Bush or The Hounds Of Winter by Sting, A Hazy Shade of Winter by Simon & Garfunkel or the more modern electronic sounds of  Jean-Michel Jarré or The Prodigy are an English electronic dance music band and Liam Howlett writing about the 'Weather Experience'. Some wrote humor to entertain, Rossini "Duetto buffo di due gatti" humorous duet for two cats, people might also know of Classical inspired works like the music of Tom and Jerry and Saturday morning tunes inspired by works maybe like the Cat and the Mouse by Aaron Copland, some compositions on string, flute and piano were based on inspirations from bird songs.

The Artist of Mars will take inspiration from what is around them.

and even though nobody has been on other planets yet they have already inspired story, music video on MTV, music of planets, Life On Mars by Bowie,  "Rocket Man"  by English  Elton John and songwriter Bernie Taupin, Teenagers from Mars by the noisy punk rocker band The Misfits and Gustav Holst Classical Philharmonic style 'Planets Suite' which some say directly inspired the music for modern movies like StarWars. Hopefully birds will be able to live on Mars with the explorers, space tourists and colonists otherwise it might be a less musical and less inspired planet to live on.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-10-15 17:41:44)

#8 2023-04-14 15:47:43

Mars_B4_Moon

The new chatbot Bard, a musical poet?

Bard: What is Google's Bard and how is it different to ChatGPT?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/65036003

How is Bard different to ChatGPT?
Well Bard has a "Google it" button which allows users to fact check and find out what sources have been used, such as Wikipedia.
Google senior product director Jack Krawczyk said he used Bard to help him plan his child's birthday party. The chatbot came up with a theme which included his child's love of rabbits and gymnastics and also suggested party games and food.
Krawczyk told the BBC that Bard is "an experiment" and he hopes people will use it as a "launchpad for creativity".

#9 2023-05-24 15:47:02

Mars_B4_Moon

'Illustration of a wooden satellite. Credit: MidJourney'

https://www.universetoday.com/161473/bu … -magnolia/

#10 2023-06-19 03:00:19

Mars_B4_Moon

Will the Art of Mars get hijacked by politics just as Soviet or Fascist Art once did? Just as we started to go a little crazy with Trump, Biden politics?

How video games lost their mind during the political silly season?

An online personality Carl Benjamin chronicles a lot of the gamer culture, he now has a media company maybe shocking at times but not as shocking as 'Vice' was. Carl Benjamin or 'Sargon of Akkad' is a smart guy who would comment on history and reference politics and debate people online about art or politics for years was also known by his online pseudonym 'Sargon of Akkad'. He once went viral for comments on Gamergate but since I mostly missed Gamergate and don't play video games anymore I can't really tell you what it is but I might try anyways. During all the Trump vs Biden, Left vs Right you might have missed political events, there was another political cultural arty controversy event that happened these past years and that was 'Gamergate' but nobody can tell you what it really was. Everyone will tell you a different story and nobody is sure what Gamergate was about. Some will say angry men playing harassed some women and started cursing at them online, others will say there was a weird large movement and alliance of Feminists, Gays, Lesbian, pro-islamic transexual Social Justice type and corporate powers that tried to hijack video gaming and inject their own brand of politics across the gaming industry. I have not been in the video game culture for many years so I can not tell you what is happening or was happening but from what I read. One side of the story would focus on one person and tell of how Zoe Quinn told stories of how she got death threats, hate mail and misogyny.  Zoe was innocent in the Gamergate thing but he seems she was doing some nasty stuff after all. Another side tells how 'Zoe Quinn' herself was not a victim, she was trying to get into producing gaming and sleeping around for 'good reviews' she falsely accused fellow game designer of abuse and then after it ruined his career and he killed himself. Then added on top of all this was a loud Anita Sarkeesian a gamer or not a gamer but a Feminist Canadian Iraqi-American who just rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, its possible she was telling the truth or some truths and she appeared on 'The Colbert Report' discussing her experiences of harassment. Rolling Stone called her "pop culture's most valuable critic," saying that "the backlash has only made her point for her: Gaming has a problem". One side will say it was a 'harassment campaign' by angry White Trump Supporting Men another will say a bunch of Crazy Political Activists and feminists tried to hijack the gamer industry and maybe almost succeeded. Whatever Gamergate was it got "Weaponized" by both sides and you suddenly had accusations going everywhere, Lawsuits and Counter Lawsuits and then Video Game Companies trying to Self-Censor to please everyone. I think a lot of Gamers liked the old classic Asthetic, men looking like a Roman Soldier Statue or Greek Goddess of Love Statue Aphrodite  Eros or maybe a mythic creature from Asia or Japan or more familiar as Cupid or Samurai warrior or Geisha look and the hated the modern 'social justice' aesthetic. Some video game companies even got paranoid and started to self-censor Orcs or Goblins thinking that its was racialist or racism and offensive to social justice movements like Antifa Black Lives Matter? Classic video games did not care so much for politics, it was 'gameplay' that sold and visually they would often taken inspiration from classic scifi movies or  Renaissance Italy, Humanism art but suddenly something was politically changing in gaming and almost nobody was sure why. 'Sargon of Akkad' built a media company by reading books and going out and debating the net and then making his own media company. I'm not sure of Carl Benjamin or youtuber Sargon of Akkad's true education and background but he is very well read and seems to devour books. Carl Benjamin and others came in during Gamergate to comment on the event as news and started to add opinion on the 'Gamergate' conspiracy.

I can tell you Western made games for example on 'Xbox' and sold to other foreign companies like Japan-Sony did great for a while but now people are moving to the foreign Japan brand because they feel the West brand for whatever reason is getting 'Ugly'. A compnay getting into the video game industry market can make  a lot of money, a market that is valued at over $190 billion, it at times is larger the music cd mp3 record company industry and it can be larger than your film movie industry combined depending on how you count those sales numbers. Minecraft, Tetris, God of War, Mario, Call of Duty, GTA, Resident Evil Bio-hazard, Zelda you are talking about hundereds of millions in video game sales, sometimes hundreds of millions for a single video game and people will stay outside a store and queue up for days before release.

Carl Benjamin or 'Sargon of Akkad' he doesn't really produce film or art but he is part of the scene and he kinda of loosely connects to this whole Art, Gamergate or Comicsgate thing. He had a popular channel he almost got banned and censored for not hating Trump enough during the whole Left vs Right madness. A former member of the Eurosceptic nationalist UK Independence Party (UKIP) he seems to be building up his own media channels and has other people on his show, he now has a family, made a media company and he started to employ other people to be journalists on his show. The media commentator debater 'Sargon of Akkad' used to have an amazing ability to 'trigger' people, I'm not sure what would set people off maybe it was simply his well educated snooty British accent but  Carl Benjamin 'Sargon of Akkad' has loosened up over the years and sounded more like one of the normal -ish guys.
Carl Benjamin is a British YouTube that became known during GamerGate. He describes himself as a classical liberal.
the other guy he debates here Vaush, is an American left-wing YouTuber known for his advocacy for libertarian market socialism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7vf_pXV2S0
The name 'Akkad' was a real historical person, the first ruler of the ancient Akkadian Empire.
The young guys who still play games but make media content now appear as journalists on his tv radio show ask question about the aesthetic of art and entertainment they ask 'Why are Western Games So Ugly'. Western players and game buyers and viewers are unhappy with the Western made video game aesthetic. They hint at some 'Gamergate' thing where men are feminized and women are made butch to fit some social justice quota.

84K views

Why Are Western Games So Ugly?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkerKyNt6s4
The Podcast of the Lotus Eaters

For some reason the West now thinks its own culture is not genuine, many in the West think their own art is now 'ugly'.

Not all of their news is media commentary or talking about video games and art

One of the journalists made a video

'Tourism In Taliban Controlled Afghanistan'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oMW5pL9Z4w

the video has 2,956,000 views

It is a bizarre video with food and hotel reviews in terrorist occupied Afghanistan. He ends up talking with a bunch of terroristic looking imbeclies who incorrectly tell him America dropped the 'atomic bomb' on Afghanistan, he then feels something uneasy and decides its best to get out of Afghanistan while he still can.

The guys normally don't do stuff as wild as going to Taliban controlled Afghanistan for a news story but they do things different. In general many feel 'The West' is losing its way with art, film, illustration, gaming and nobody is sure why.

Western people now look to other places for 'Art' it might explain sudden growth of South Korean tv shows or India Bollywood film on Netflix or people watching indie American and small European budget movies or the rise again of Japan cartoons

Don't expect any profound deep art to come from dumb Low IQ inbred jihad guys who want to kill Rushdie, islamics who bomb pop concerts and make threats to shoot cartoonists.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-06-19 03:34:15)

#11 2023-06-24 12:17:12

Mars_B4_Moon

The silly creative stuff people do with electronic music

Recorded his Cat crying and put the words 'Sometimes I'm Alone, Sometimes I'm Not, Hello' with music

https://twitter.com/cCoffeCream/status/ … 8631152649

Leonardo D-AI Vinci? Nifty AI tool turns your bad sketches into artwork in seconds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech … ernet.html

If art is how we express our humanity, where does AI fit in?
https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/992555

Takashi Murakami loves and fears AI
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/20 … -fears-ai/

Speaking at an exhibition opening in France, Japanese artist Takashi Murakami offered his thoughts

I test AI art detector 'AI or Not', with surprising results

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/test-ai … 15855.html

#12 2023-11-25 14:59:37

Mars_B4_Moon

'AI singer-songwriter'

9.2M Views

Anna Indiana
https://twitter.com/AnnaIndianaAI/statu … 9429642432

Hello world! I’m Anna Indiana and I’m an AI singer-songwriter. Here’s my first song, Betrayed by this Town. Everything from the key, tempo, chord progression, melody notes, rhythm, lyrics, and my image and singing, is auto-generated using AI. I hope you like it

maybe the people on Mars would wanting something more real and organic?

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-11-25 15:01:48)

Board footer