New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-06-14 13:02:39

BWhite

Re: To go with the FLO - Lunar Oxygen is key

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#2 2005-06-14 13:24:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Just doing a quick search on the First Lunar Outpost (FLO) did yield 2 previous threads that we have had some discusion of this. The griffin confirmed and CEV post central.

But to make lunar oxygen which has also been discussed under the moon direct plan. I am sure other threads as well but it requires lots of energy creating equipment brought to the moon in the smallest mass possible.

#3 2005-06-14 13:53:05

clark

Which is probably why Project Prometheus funding has been redirected from JIMO to near-term VSE objectives, such as nuclear power production instead of nuclear power propulsion.  :;):

It's all in the 2006 NASA House Budget info you linked to in another thread Spacenut.

#4 2005-06-14 17:28:47

Dook
Banned

Lunar oxygen is the key to what?

Wasting 20 years revisiting a dead grey lifeless lump of space debris?

#5 2005-06-14 17:40:05

Fledi

Hey, that is not a nice way to speak about our friendly companion. (and partial asteroid shield)

#6 2005-06-15 05:10:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

I do not doubt that Clark, to have linked to the 2006 funding info in another thread and yes the info can get lost in ones own memory at times.

To answer Dook's question on why the moon, where else could it be tougher to generate a supply of oxygen where none is easily present.

Can you prove that the techniques on Earth soils are totally valid when using the same processes to which you would use on the moon or mars here, since we are in an engulfing atmosphere of the very stuff that we wish to derive from this process. Where the soils we have are moisture laiden.

Yes I am sure that with a large enough vaccum chamber one could come close to proving out much of this process.

Lunar oxygen is not only a key in that it would give a longer staying time on the moon without that resource being brought from Earth to any crew staying there. It would also lower costs indirectly for moon missions of which it would have the same effect for mars mission later on sometime in the future.

The oxygen also has another function in that it can be used as the oxidizer for rocket fuel systems as well.

#7 2005-06-15 10:21:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

As noted in the moon direct thread there has been some awards for the process to [url=http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050615/NEWS02/506150351/1007/news02] Make oxygen from moon dirt?

Florida Tech gets grant to join lunar project[/url]

The project, called ILMENOX, is aimed at allowing astronauts to produce oxygen on the moon primarily for use to refuel spaceships.

Perhaps the biggest reason: the liquid oxygen needed for rocket fuel is heavy and every pound of cargo that NASA has to take on jaunts to the moon costs thousands of dollars and eliminates the capability to take something else along in its place.

"Locally produced oxygen for rocket propulsion promises by far the greatest cost and mass savings.

#8 2005-06-15 15:40:45

Dook
Banned

They say you can't please everyone all of the time but I'm sure there is a way to achieve more science (lunar oxygen manufacturing/lunar interferometer/fix hubble/mars sample return) and human exploration (moon and mars) sooner than planned in the VSE.  But to accomplish this we need to decide what's more important-ISS/Space Shuttle or the moon and mars.  For me it's an easy choice.

#9 2005-06-15 18:22:32

Admiral_Ritt

Why do I get the feeling that when large Human settlements
are created on the moon, they will be used as the commonwealth used Australia in the 1800's. 
  I can imagine a judge asking a convict, "Prison or the Moon settlement?"   No violent folks just white collar criminals.

Mars:  Many more volunteers for those new settlements.

#10 2005-06-15 18:25:22

RobS
Banned
Website

Lunar oxygen production is not irrelevant to Mars. If it can be brought back to low earth orbit cheaply enough, it would reduce the fuel mass for a Mars mission by a factor of 7. If Mars missions have their equipment moved to the L1 Gateway using solar-ion propulsion, it would provide most of the fuel for trans-Mars injection from that point.

-- RobS

#11 2017-03-15 18:32:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

Bump fixed another shifting and artifact filled topic...

But this is also what I was telling GW about the recycling that Nasa has been doing when ever they are faced with changing direction.....

Board footer