New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2003-03-14 07:18:49

Palomar

Re: Paperless Mars

Cindy, how would that be pronounced? 'Sigh'?

*Yep.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#77 2003-03-14 07:55:05

Byron

Wood(sic) pulp paper would be very hard to get on Mars. Growing wood is just prohibitively expensive. You could spend the time, space, and energy growing plants, and you probably would. Paper wouldn't be done with, though.

Actually, Josh, I read a while back that a process is being developed with certain forms of bacteria (I think) that produces a celluose-type material in a vat....sorta like a biological "plastic".  If this process is perfected, this could mean that paper-like products could be produced quite cheaply and effectively, even in a Mars-like setting.  I find it hard to imagine that paper will not exist on Mars, as humans have such an intrinstic attachment to the stuff..lol.

It will have to be produced a bit differently than using real wood for paper...if the demand for something is high enough, a way will be found to produce it in a relatively affordable manner.

B

#78 2003-03-14 08:07:29

Palomar

I don't remember now exactly how I came to be confused with ol' Farmer Brown (maybe I suggested cows for milk and for their contribution to soil creation, or something), but Cindy, there's no way you would be helping me with the calving!! At best, I would be handing you ropes and towels - not the other way around!!!
                                                big_smile

But I appreciated your very kind offer anyhow!  smile

*Egad!  I didn't have -birthing- calves in mind...just, you know, playing with them, petting them, maybe feeding them milk from bottles...

"I was a Marsian Milk Maid" -- ?  Hmmmm.  That could be a very interesting title to a story. cool

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#79 2024-04-07 09:04:46

Mars_B4_Moon

a very old topic worth looking at again

Mars paper or paperless?

Powerful X-class solar flare slams Earth, triggering radio blackout over the Pacific Ocean
https://www.space.com/powerful-x-class- … ific-ocean

The computer errors from outer space
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2022 … ter-errors

The Earth is subjected to a hail of subatomic particles from the Sun and beyond our solar system which could be the cause of glitches that afflict our phones and computers. And the risk is growing as microchip technology shrinks.

Zap. A muscle in her chest twitched. Zap. And again. Marie Moe could feel it. She could even see it. She looked down and the muscle, just to the left of her breastbone, was visibly pulsating. Convulsing with the rhythm of a vigorous heartbeat.

The cyber-security researcher was on a plane, about 20 minutes from its destination, Amsterdam, when it started. Fear gripped her. She knew immediately that something was wrong with her pacemaker, the small medical device implanted in her chest that used electrical impulses to steady her heartbeat.

Could one of the wires that connected the pacemaker to her heart have got damaged? Or come loose? Moe alerted the cabin crew, who at once arranged for an ambulance to be ready and waiting for her at the airport. Had the plane been any further from Amsterdam, the pilot would have made an emergency landing at another airport, she was told.

When Moe arrived at a nearby hospital, doctors pored over her. A pacemaker technician soon found the problem. It was the gadget's tiny computer. Data stored inside the pacemaker's computer, so crucial to its functioning, had somehow got corrupted.

And for Moe, the prime suspect that she says most likely sparked this unsettling episode was a cosmic ray from outer space: a chain of subatomic particles slamming into one another in the Earth's atmosphere, like balls colliding on a snooker table, with one eventually careering into her pacemaker's built-in computer mid-flight.

The theory is that, upon impact, it caused an electrical imbalance that altered the computer's memory – and ultimately changed her understanding of the life-saving technology inside her forever.

When computers go wrong, we tend to assume it's just some software hiccup, a bit of bad programming. But ionising radiation, including rays of protons blasted towards us by the sun, can also be the cause. These incidents, called single-event upsets, are rare and it can be impossible to be sure that cosmic rays were involved in a specific malfunction because they leave no trace behind them.

And yet they have been singled out as the possible culprits behind numerous extraordinary cases of computer failure. From a vote-counting machine that added thousands of non-existent votes to a candidate's tally, to a commercial airliner that suddenly dropped hundreds of feet mid-flight, injuring dozens of passengers.

For when the cosmic rays and solar solar hit your computers and electronic pads?

Offsite Records & Document Storage
https://www.ironmountain.com/en-ie/serv … ds-storage
Offsite, secure, compliant records and document storage services – Preserve and protect your information and assets in highly secure and compliant facilities.

Archival Safety & What are Sheet Protectors made of ?
https://www.keepfiling.com/archival-safety-a/134.htm

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2024-04-07 09:05:13)

Board footer