New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-01-13 11:26:03

spacedOut

Traveling to Svalbard, Yakutsk etc. to promote space colonization?

#2 2017-01-13 13:18:06

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Traveling to Svalbard, Yakutsk etc. to promote space colonization?

It is well known that space colonization is not going to happen anytime soon. You can shoot folks around in tin cans as a stunt but the frontier for sensible, economically self-supporting colonies is still confined to Earth. It's in places like Svalbard, Arctic Bay, Yakutsk and other extreme northern settlements. I was thinking of visiting one or more of these places as a gesture toward expanding our frontiers. Someday I hope they will be in space.

sez you. Space colonization could start as soon as people decide to do it. "Mars Direct" was a way to send a science mission to Mars in the 1990s. Colonization could have started shortly after.

#3 2017-01-13 13:25:17

Terraformer
Website

Re: Traveling to Svalbard, Yakutsk etc. to promote space colonization?

It is well known that space colonization is not going to happen anytime soon.

How could it, when the Moon is an egg? It is known.

Actually, I think we should be colonising Svalbard. Particularly because it has open borders with a lot of countries, including the major powers. No negotiating a visa if you want to live there. If we can make it work there, then maybe we can make it work elsewhere.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

Board footer