New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-01-09 19:43:07

Void

Alternate ideas of the formation of the Moon.

http://phys.org/news/2017-01-main-moon- … heory.html

Study crashes main Moon-formation theory

The Moon, our planet's constant companion for some 4.5 billion years, may have been forged by a rash of smaller bodies smashing into an embryonic Earth, researchers said Monday.

I will let you read the rest.

Personally it is my opinion that the proto-Earth would have started as a binary planet from condensation.  And that indeed multiple impacts of the Earth loaded dry materials onto that original wet seed.  Then the water moved upwards.

Yes I can be easily wrong, but the large planets of the solar system typically have "Condensed/accreted" Moons.

Earth is larger than Venus, Mars, or Mercury, so it might have had a similar tendency but less so than the gas and ice giants.

Mercury and Venus had any such process disrupted by proximity to the sun (Perhaps).
Mars was too close to Jupiter.

Then again maybe hogwash.  But why is the Moon wetter than it is supposed to be then?

Last edited by Void (2017-01-09 19:48:32)

Done.

Board footer