New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#101 2017-01-07 09:10:11

Terraformer
Website

Re: Airplanes on Mars

Which is why you'd need a cleared roadway, perhaps one with a shroud to keep out dust. At which point you've created something similar to Hyperloop, I know, but much rougher (basically shovelling the topsoil out of the way and a shroud over it) and designed for much slower (100-150 km.p.h?) speeds. Though you'd still be sucking in air from the front and blowing it under the craft.

Perhaps it would provide something similar to railways on Terra.

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

#102 2017-01-07 10:33:14

Void

I see you indicated a continuum between hovercraft and hyperloop.
Elon Musk thinks hyperloop could work without the tube on present day Mars.
I am going to add something else into the mix, not because it in itself is a practical solution but with the possibility that a unique device can be created for Mars that will not require a totally groomed trail.

Ground Effect Vehicle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle

Although they may look and have related technical characteristics similar to seaplanes, ground effect vehicles are not aircraft, as they are unable to fly freely in the air. They are also dissimilar from hovercraft or hydrofoils. Ground effect vehicles constitute a separate category of transport.

I am hoping that a ground air cushion travel device can be arrived at that can take advantage of smooth groomed ground whenever possible, and that could "Portage" over rough ground by temporary flight when needed.

For power, I would think Methane & Oxygen combustion, and adding in Liquid CO2, and Liquid Hydrogen.  But maybe a fan can be involved, I have not limited the combustion device to rockets.  I would think that a high speed is preferred, since it will likely have humans as it's primary cargo, and mobile life support is not cheep.

You can read the article about advantages and disadvantages.  Some of it would apply to Mars.

I am just throwing this into the mix, in hopes that someone might think about some type of vehicle unique to Mars that might borrow from Hovercraft, Ground Effect Vehicles, and Hyperloop.

I will also say that if a trail is groomed enough for such a vehicle, then it will be sensible to have refueling stations, where Oxygen, Liquid CO2, Liquid Methane, and Liquid Hydrogen will be available to refuel the craft along the way, and also such stations would serve as emergency life support if a craft is crippled in some way.

Last edited by Void (2017-01-07 10:45:16)

#103 2017-01-08 03:26:26

elderflower

A railroad might be easier to construct once you have steel and a rolling mill. Ties might be some form of concrete, like on earth, or steel perhaps.

#104 2017-01-08 09:13:38

Void

Perhaps, but Hyperloop is possibly the new coming rail system.

Before that however, just moving rocks out of the way and having a trail might make a specially crafted vehicle able to move rapidly across the Martian surface.

Board footer