New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2016-12-29 21:59:02

Lake Matthew Team - Cole
Website

Re: Air Transportation on Mars - Gravity's affect on Air travel on Mars

Void wrote:

So the friction of the surface of the spinning "Balloon" as the device travels forward, creates the lift as you describe.

Don't get upset if I ask a question that requires a negative answer, but here it is:
"Could the lift be increased by gripping the atmosphere on the upper portions of the balloon with electrostatic cling, and that electrostatic cling stimulation reduced/eliminated on the lower portion of the balloon?"

I can think of several ways to manipulate the electrostatic cling on the interior or exterior of the balloon, but for now let me suggest a commutator type situation with very thin bands of conductive material as part of the balloon structure.

Of course this will impose an unknown power burden, which likely will be additional to the original, but of course if it created more lift, that cost might be worth it.

No, it's an application of Bernoulli's principle; electrostatic charge wouldn't increase it. 

And just in case anyone is thinking to use electrostatic charge for any transportation purpose:  note that the martian atmosphere's electrical conductivity is two orders of magnitude greater than Earth's.  Implication:  electrostatically-charged surfaces quickly discharge

KZOT. 

It's not an event you want to amplify on a balloon, or on any delicate transporter surface.

Last edited by Lake Matthew Team - Cole (2016-12-29 22:00:07)

#77 2016-12-29 22:28:43

Void

Well thanks for the quick reply.

I will accept that it would have little or no effect.

However, should it have been desired a charge could be imposed on an interior surface of the balloon, removed and re-applied by commutation.  The gas on the interior could be non-conductive.  The walls of the balloon electrically insulating.

But I did perceive after my post that it would be at most a skin effect.

I will withdraw, at least for now, and most likely permanently from the original question beyond that.  The electrical portion could be done, but the value is very questionable.

Done.

#78 2016-12-30 10:42:06

louis

What about the idea of an inflatable walking ball?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trans … ZDgpt_M%3A

Obviously a more sophisticated version would be required but could be quicker than a conventional rover and not need much energy input to achieve forward motion.  Hills might be a problem?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#79 2016-12-30 18:41:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have you forgotten what happened to the rovers wheels...

Board footer